Aldi 7in Spotlights and light bar issues

Rosco4271

Followed the instructions ok but the relay does not switch on. Seems there is an electronic device in the heat shrink which comes from the neural and prevents the unit operating. As a test I bypassed the switch active and the neutral and tested the spotlights and light bar working ok. Does anybody know what this device does

Attachments

• F88CDBE2-68C2-44C2-983A-A06743CB018D.jpeg
    F88CDBE2-68C2-44C2-983A-A06743CB018D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48

Rusty Panels

I replaced a pair of 9" Kings with the 7" Aldi lights but used the existing harness. I still have the full Aldi harness in the shed so just had a good look at it and can't see anywhere that has hidden components as you mention. I would hazard a guess that what your looking at are joins in the wire that have been heat shrunk. Most likely where they divide to feed the 3 seperate lights.
What vehicle are you fitting them to?
I doubt whether any of the Asian flavoured vehicles would use negative switching for the lights but suppose it's quite possible on American or European stuff. Let's face it they can't even get the indicator switch on the correct side of the steering column.

boobook

I doubt whether any of the Asian flavoured vehicles would use negative switching for the lights
I'm pretty sure older Land Crusiers *0, 60 etc) and possibly Hiluxes use negative switching for High Beam. Possiby the ones that have twin headlights. It seems strange when you first see it but is a very neat design when you understand what they do.

Chatty

on American or European stuff. Let's face it they can't even get the indicator switch on the correct side of the steering column.
Matter of opinion. I quite like the transmission shifter on the right and the indicator stalk on the left.

Hoyks

Suzuki used -ive switched lights, so I found when helping a mate fit a light bar to a Jimny. I probably found it on my Sierra's, but it was so long ago I forgot.

A bit of googling and it would appear that Isuzu do it too.

Last edited:

boobook

Chatty I have looked at that diagram 3 or 4 times. I am not sure where you got it but I can't see how it will work. It doesn't look right to me.

The positive of the high beam should be connected to the + or to the switched low beam + if high and low can both be on. Then - of the high beam should connect through the high beam switch to earth. The relay 85 and 30 ins should should go + and 86 to ground.

Maybe I am missing something.

Komang

Iam using simple methode (two cable switch)
Negatif or positive doesnt matter as long you find with one for the high beam
If positive will go either 85 or 86 relay and work the same way with negative trigger.
Splice your high beam trigger ( + or -) depend your car after you check it
Run twin cable and solder it in to it only one cable and the other end cable goes to two pin switch. The other one cable end where you solder the source still have one end connect it to your relay.
So when your high beam on
Switch off there is no trigger to the relay and when switch on will trigger your relay to turn on your lights

Chatty

Chatty I have looked at that diagram 3 or 4 times. I am not sure where you got it but I can't see how it will work. It doesn't look right to me.

The positive of the high beam should be connected to the + or to the switched low beam + if high and low can both be on. Then - of the high beam should connect through the high beam switch to earth. The relay 85 and 30 ins should should go + and 86 to ground.

Maybe I am missing something.
I stole it from the web site for a nationally recognised (expensive) brand of driving lights (no, I'm not going to say which brand).

It does take a bit of getting your head around, as there are some missing links.
The positive from the headlights should be shown as going all the way to battery positive (presumably fused) and the negative from the headlights should be (vehicle) switched.
That done, the +ve to the relay coil is always energised, but the -ve is switched on (that is, the -ve is connected to ground) with the headlight negative.