Albo seems to be off to a good start

boobook

I must say. As someone that would never have voted for Albo, and voted Libs. He is off to a positive running start.

I have historically had little time for Penny Wong, but she has been back and forth to the pacific islands and made signific progress after years of neglect.

Other progress with energy and aboriginal affairs.

I must say it shows how much the Libs had let the place down.

Not sure about the boats situation though.

Chatty

I'm with you @boobook - not that I would never have not voted labour, but more that I'm definitely one of those swinging voters (long time since I've left the car keys in the bowl though) and Albo has been very impressive in the early days.

Reminds me a bit of when Hawke and Keating took over back in prehistoric times - you felt that something was actually being done.
Mind you, no one in the current crop has the charisma of Hawke or the biting wit of Keating - who could ever forget "Any boss who doesn't give their workers a day off today is a bum" [Hawke on the America's Cup win] or "Can a souffle rise twice?" [Keating on Andrew Peacock].

boobook

Reminds me a bit of when Hawke and Keating took over back in prehistoric times - you felt that something was actually being done.
Mind you, no one in the current crop has the charisma of Hawke or the biting wit of Keating - who could ever forget "Any boss who doesn't give their workers a day off today is a bum" [Hawke on the America's Cup win] or "Can a souffle rise twice?" [Keating on Andrew Peacock].
And god help us, Whitlam, before them.

It is a pendulum. It slowly swings to the left. More compassionate policies, welfare, arts and employee power. Then it goes too far and we go broke, the economy and costs are out of control. Then the pendulum turns and goes to the right. Costs get under control wages moderate and the economy grows. But employee rights disappear, arts ( and ABC) get cost cutting and big business takes over the balance of power. Then it goes too far and the pendulum swings back to the left.

That's the good side of democracy. The bad side is not a lot gets done that takes more than 1.5 terms to deliver. So no serious infrastructure or major reforms

2 x 4 year terms, ( max) get rid of state politics, remove compulsory voting and put all Greens voters in mental health care facilities. That is the ideal political system.

:)

mikehzz

And god help us, Whitlam, before them.

It is a pendulum. It slowly swings to the left. More compassionate policies, welfare, arts and employee power. Then it goes too far and we go broke, the economy and costs are out of control. Then the pendulum turns and goes to the right. Costs get under control wages moderate and the economy grows. But employee rights disappear, arts ( and ABC) get cost cutting and big business takes over the balance of power. Then it goes too far and the pendulum swings back to the left.

That's the good side of democracy. The bad side is not a lot gets done that takes more than 1.5 terms to deliver. So no serious infrastructure or major reforms

2 x 4 year terms, ( max) get rid of state politics, remove compulsory voting and put all Greens voters in mental health care facilities. That is the ideal political system.

:)
Bugger that political stuff, can we talk about how I can fit 37" tyres on an XTrail instead? :)

boobook

We can talk about albo and wongs overseas jaunts.

Albo sent the foreign affairs minister over to the Pacific Islands on an Airforce plane. He said Sum Ting Wong
When she returned, he asked her "how does our foreign aid compare to China's" She said Wee too Low.
He asked her what does she think? Ho Lee Fook.

Apologies to the 3 pilots that died in the old Asian air crash joke. I love that joke.

Last edited: