Albo seems to be off to a good start

LongRoad2Go

It all seems a matter of 'can't see the forest for the trees'. India has put a ban on wheat exports because it needed to address domestic demand. Ditto here with natural gas.

It really shits me when discussions like this come up in Oz and people use all the excuses under the sun, and progress becomes bogged down in nonsense. (The definition of progress = moving forward!) We are an exporter of a commodity, so the power lays with us - we need to stop being the worlds tart, selling our resources cheaply without looking after our own people first.

peterfermtech

It all seems a matter of 'can't see the forest for the trees'. India has put a ban on wheat exports because it needed to address domestic demand. Ditto here with natural gas.

It really shits me when discussions like this come up in Oz and people use all the excuses under the sun, and progress becomes bogged down in nonsense. (The definition of progress = moving forward!) We are an exporter of a commodity, so the power lays with us - we need to stop being the worlds tart, selling our resources cheaply without looking after our own people first.
Who would have done all the exploration and development if there wasn't a market for it. That gas supply would not exist if the export market didn't exist. The problem is we didn't develop reserves and instead state governments put bans on exploration. Victoria has recently allowed onshore exploration after 10 years of it being banned. Probably decided it was missing out on the income.

LongRoad2Go

Who would have done all the exploration and development if there wasn't a market for it. That gas supply would not exist if the export market didn't exist. The problem is we didn't develop reserves and instead state governments put bans on exploration. Victoria has recently allowed onshore exploration after 10 years of it being banned. Probably decided it was missing out on the income.
It's a moot point, the fact is that it does now exist, and, the contracts created at the time were crap. All governments in Australia - Federal, State, and Local have a long and chequered history when it comes to drawing up contracts ... swaying between incompetence and/or corruption.

Albynsw

It's a moot point, the fact is that it does now exist, and, the contracts created at the time were crap. All governments in Australia - Federal, State, and Local have a long and chequered history when it comes to drawing up contracts ... swaying between incompetence and/or corruption.

I think incompetence plays a much bigger role than corruption although both exists

discomatt

It’s s all lies and greed, simple as that with half the deals done behind closed doors and under the table.
lts like the current interest rate rises , for 18 months the reserve bank tells every Aussie rates will not rise until at least 2024 , but then there are floods and a war that increase the cost of essentials therefore e cause massive inflation so rates have to go up to curb the massive inflation rate. As if that will bring down inflation when it’s caused by global economies that are influenced by war and the effect of global warming.
Just another lie that keeps the masses unsure, nervous and afraid which is how the modern world controls the masses
But go for the ride and continue to believe that the interest rates have to go up and it will reduce the cost of lettuce and gases

peterfermtech

Hindsight is a wonderful commodity.
I'm sure most of the EU wish they hadn't got in bed with Putin or is it they wish Ukraine had just rolled over. It was all so easy when they could blame climate change on other countries shipping coal around the world whilst their gas was just flowing through hidden pipes.

LongRoad2Go

Hindsight is a wonderful commodity.
I'm sure most of the EU wish they hadn't got in bed with Putin or is it they wish Ukraine had just rolled over. It was all so easy when they could blame climate change on other countries shipping coal around the world whilst their gas was just flowing through hidden pipes.
I think the word is: hypocrisy.

The EU, and several other organisations generally run out of NY, Brussels and Switzerland are all: 'do as we say, but not as we do'.

discomatt

Not cleaning up just following the same path of more waste of hard earned taxes from Aussies that are being screwed of every last cent to keep us all enslaved to the system

LongRoad2Go

Not cleaning up just following the same path of more waste of hard earned taxes from Aussies that are being screwed of every last cent to keep us all enslaved to the system
Yeah, it make one think if we just said to the French 'talk to the hand' and didn't pay them anything, what would they do about it? I say we call in our WW1 & WW2 debts to them ... oh yeah, that is conveniently forgotten about.

Kippie

And here is the reason the major oil and gas companies don't pay much tax and most financial benefits from our oil and gas (except state royalties) go to overseas investors. We were suckers back in the day chasing foreign investment and now it's costing us.

How your spiking energy bills are making foreign investors rich

discomatt

Just another example of big business calling the shots not government , the big question is why do Aussies put up with it and not protest in the millions to enforce change

mikehzz

I've been saying for years that the enemy is big business and billionaires. The mainstream media and governments are their sock puppets. They've become the new ruling class and people have no idea how they are being manipulated. Iraq and Afghanistan were every bit if not far worse than what's happening in Ukraine and Vietnam was a complete travesty, all media and propaganda driven to suit private agendas. The Arabs know it and are that pissed off about what has happened to them over the years they'll kill themselves to prove it.
If you need any proof of the power of manipulation, then look at the case of an Austrian Duke being assassinated by a Serb in 1914, which directly caused 18 year old boys from rural Australia to literally run off to Turkey and kill and be killed by Turks. You couldn't make that stuff up. If you asked a Turk in 1913 what his plans were for next year or two, he for certain wouldn't have said I'll probably be killing boys from Bendigo Australia.
The people in charge know how to push the right buttons.

Albynsw

Cleaning up the billions of dollars wasted by Sco Mo????????

I don’t doubt it was a shit deal but when a government body does a deal with anyone the winner is nearly alway the other party. I know from my dealings with government bodies and healthcare etc that they are not on the good end of the deal.

The other aspect and probably the most important one is the world has changed a lot since that deal was done and there is no better time to be getting in tight with the Yanks, I don’t see any benefits for us in being with the French
So bottom line as I see it , whatever it costs it will be worth it in the long run but just the same it was a shitfight and handled very poorly by Scomo

boobook

I can't think of ONE large infrastructure project that Australia has done right.

Roads were signed and stopped. Rail that has gone backwards over 60 years, Airports languishing and no good business case. And The NBN sheez.

Even the Ord River scheme is a dud, and Khemlani is the only one that made money. Only 260 people have jobs that rely on it today.

The Melbourne to Sydney train is now 5 mins slower ( to Albury) than in 1937 using steam. in the meantime, China has built 40,000km of high-speed rail since 2004.

Singapore started with an Island about the size of Melbourne and about 2M people with no resources and now owns more Australian infrastructure than the Australian Government. Ever been to Singapore? Everything works like clockwork. They have 7 desal plants that go from design to commissioning in 4 years each, and water is still cheaper than here.

Last edited: