Albo seems to be off to a good start

Patriot

Administrator
So he has certainly hit the ground running.
He's reaffirmed our concerns with China, looking to actually do something about climate change, and headed off to the Quad, for walks with the US, India and Japan.

Let's hope he does a cracking job, because I think we are in for an interesting ride internationally.

What does everyone else think.

Corndoggy

Labor supporters will love him.
Liberal supporters will hate him.
National supporters will bitch and moan about him and the Liberal Party.
Others will be a mixed bag.

mikehzz

So he has certainly hit the ground running.
He's reaffirmed our concerns with China, looking to actually do something about climate change, and headed off to the Quad, for walks with the US, India and Japan.

Let's hope he does a cracking job, because I think we are in for an interesting ride internationally.

What does everyone else think.
Lol, "...walks with the US...", let's hope they talk as well. A good start would be to not deliberately antagonize China. Surely intelligent people can get their concerns across without insulting the other side? Any blustering that the previous government was doing towards China would have secretly brought a chuckle to the inscrutable oriental faces in my opinion. They could squash us like a bug, both physically and economically. I hope they'll be seeking alternate markets and suppliers because at the moment too many of our economic eggs are in Chinese baskets. Just look at how reliance on Russian oil and gas has the likes of Germany by the balls. Smart countries build friends not enemies, but still keeping friends relatively distant in case there's a divorce down the track. Still, consultation will be seen as "kowtowing" by certain sections of our community.
I'd like to see a massive education program to explain to the general public why buying Australian made will cost a LOT more because it is made using Australian wages and rents, and not the piddly wages and rents in China. People need to realize the advantage of having local manufacturing, and unions need to realize they've had a hand in the demise of local manufacturing by constantly causing profitability to diminish in an effort to maintain their own relevance.
Finally, I'd like some more itemized listing on our income tax returns. We currently know what percentage goes to Medicare, but I'd like something set in stone that can't be changed by subsequent governments, that lists contributions for selected other vital services. Not something like the fuel levy that is supposed to pay for roads but just gets lost in general revenue and becomes perpetual. I would like it better defined and see that the money goes where it's supposed to go. Surely in this computerized world this could be done? I'm sick of governments promising to spend more but not raising their revenue to do it. If we want more government services then we should have to pay more into the pot, otherwise it means cutting some other service. Everyone should understand that concept?

muffin man

What will the world leaders think of Schomo being replaced with an Albo...we're a weird mob ? I'm as lib as they come but am prepared to wait and see, give credit where due but he needs to deliver quickly. My big concerns are boat people will return and higher taxes for middle income earners.

mikehzz

What will the world leaders think of Schomo being replaced with an Albo...we're a weird mob ? I'm as lib as they come but am prepared to wait and see, give credit where due but he needs to deliver quickly. My big concerns are boat people will return and higher taxes for middle income earners.
I heard the boat people were already were forking out $30k for tickets before the election. :) The government should be making that $30k per person and solving the employment problem. Businesses can't get workers at the moment because everyone has sold a city property, back traded to a regional beach suburb and are living easy off the proceeds. We'll have nobody to clean the toilets soon.

discomatt

I heard the boat people were already were forking out $30k for tickets before the election. :) The government should be making that $30k per person and solving the employment problem. Businesses can't get workers at the moment because everyone has sold a city property, back traded to a regional beach suburb and are living easy off the proceeds. We'll have nobody to clean the toilets soon.
Or even better stop unemployment benefits, 6 months tops on the dole then off to work and stop bludging off hard working Aussies. The whole concept of bringing in people to fill the employment gaps while paying unemployed is mental at best

shanegtr

My big concerns are boat people will return
Look at the big picture, if that happens its likely to be from other issues outside of Australia rather than the change in government. Sri Lanka is going down the toilet rapidly which is where that last boat came from. Wouldn't be surprised if there was more in the future

Komang

If he not good enough, might considering change how election going. Elect for our PM not the member. So hoever want to be Oz PM they have to to their campign for them self not party etc. Prob willbe more people want to be PM not just a party leader.

cam04

Lol, "...walks with the US...", let's hope they talk as well. A good start would be to not deliberately antagonize China. Surely intelligent people can get their concerns across without insulting the other side? Any blustering that the previous government was doing towards China would have secretly brought a chuckle to the inscrutable oriental faces in my opinion. They could squash us like a bug, both physically and economically. I hope they'll be seeking alternate markets and suppliers because at the moment too many of our economic eggs are in Chinese baskets. Just look at how reliance on Russian oil and gas has the likes of Germany by the balls. Smart countries build friends not enemies, but still keeping friends relatively distant in case there's a divorce down the track. Still, consultation will be seen as "kowtowing" by certain sections of our community.
I'd like to see a massive education program to explain to the general public why buying Australian made will cost a LOT more because it is made using Australian wages and rents, and not the piddly wages and rents in China. People need to realize the advantage of having local manufacturing, and unions need to realize they've had a hand in the demise of local manufacturing by constantly causing profitability to diminish in an effort to maintain their own relevance.
Finally, I'd like some more itemized listing on our income tax returns. We currently know what percentage goes to Medicare, but I'd like something set in stone that can't be changed by subsequent governments, that lists contributions for selected other vital services. Not something like the fuel levy that is supposed to pay for roads but just gets lost in general revenue and becomes perpetual. I would like it better defined and see that the money goes where it's supposed to go. Surely in this computerized world this could be done? I'm sick of governments promising to spend more but not raising their revenue to do it. If we want more government services then we should have to pay more into the pot, otherwise it means cutting some other service. Everyone should understand that concept?
When was the last time you filed a tax return? Each year there is a graph with about 30 items showing how it is spent.

Komang

Or even better stop unemployment benefits, 6 months tops on the dole then off to work and stop bludging off hard working Aussies. The whole concept of bringing in people to fill the employment gaps while paying unemployed is mental at best
where your tax goes even my bonus for working hard still get cut 30% tax what a shixt

boobook

And the first boat from Shri Lanka has had to be turned back already.

If we're going to give jobs to people, let's give them to the people who apply and the ones with skills we need, not the ones who pay the highest fee to criminals.

Not even Albo knows their refugee policy.

Chatty

Not saying how I voted, or what I think of White Fluffy Dog Albo or Scotty from Marketing, but my thoughts are...
  • He needs a decent run at the job without threat of a leadership spill - even if he does the dirty with a goat in the middle of Bourke Street Mall at midday, he needs to be left there for fear we become an international laughing stock again
  • Adopt and stick to a consistent and internationally supported position about USA, China, Russia, Taiwan, Hong Kong
  • He deserves everyone's support - Labor, Liberal, Nationals, UAP, PHON, whatever - we, as a country, need to get behind our government and make things work
  • Accept that the government will always make decisions that will tick off some part of the population - that's the nature of government folks, if you try to please all the people all the time you wind up with a country going nowhere and a government that won't make decisions
  • Climate change is a proven scientific truth and I fear for the world we are making for my grandkids - it's time for real action to combat it
  • Australians come in all colours, shapes, sizes, abilities and from different countries - but those that are Australian citizens are Aussies and we need to recognise all of them, including those that have been here for 50,000 years
  • Make the hard decisions and stick to them

denk

• Climate change is a proven scientific truth
That depends on which experts you listen to and what form of "modelling" is used. Professor Steven Koonin is an excellent scientist. Its happening but its at an extremely slow rate and not worth crying over. Check out his book "Unsettled: What Climate Science Tells Us, What It Doesnt and Why It Matters". He was the under secretary for science at the US Dept of Energy under Obama

Last edited:

John U

That depends on which experts you listen to and what form of "modelling" is used. Professor Steven Koonin is an excellent scientist. Its happening but its at an extremely slow rate and not worth crying over. Check out his book "Unsettled: What Climate Science Tells Us, What It Doesnt and Why It Matters". He was the under secretary for science at the US Dept of Energy under Obama
Listen to the consensus of most scientists and you'll likely be on the right track. Science works hard to prove theory's and to disprove theory's. There's millions of them across the world doing it. If Koonin was onto something real, there would be thousands of scientists working to back up his theory, or disprove his theory with science.

Mick_Marsh

Listen to the consensus of most scientists and you'll likely be on the right track. Science works hard to prove theory's and to disprove theory's. There's millions of them across the world doing it. If Koonin was onto something real, there would be thousands of scientists working to back up his theory, or disprove his theory with science.
Yes. I remember that famous consensus which included Professor Dumbledor.
It was once scientific consensus that the earth was flat, the earth was the centre of the universe and that bodies only moved whilst there was a force being applied.
The problem with the current "climate crisis" is that it is prediction. Prediction is different to what is measured.

Attachments

• predictions v observations.jpg
    predictions v observations.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 28