Airlocka v LOKKA

Rigger64

Im after some opinions on which way to go im not keen on air but im not sure if a want to for the LOKKA as well namely as to the fact that i have a 1996 Suzuki Vitara & i can't seam to find an E-Locker for my Vitara Any suggestions which way to go.:confused:

Please help...........

Swaggie

I gather its for the rear, if they make one get a goannawhere auto lokka, similar to Detroit etc..

Rigger64

Thank you for that Swaggie.

I just took a look & im Sold they look great might just have to give them a go.
BTW: looking @ there FAQ they recommend to do the front Diff first then maybe the back Diff.
:)

Regards:
Rob

rob_macca67

Mate,
Be careful and make sure u consider all options b4 u go down the Autolocker path..... I've got a LWB Vitara and I originally put the AL in the Front & Rear. It was the cheapest option and it was great.... at 1st. For me driving it to/from work the AL in the Rear became a PITA in tight spots. Then I ended up breaking a rear axle as well. I've since put a Chinese Air Locker in the Rear and just kept the AL in the Front and it's been the best decision to date. Getting the AirLocker a 1/3 of the price of a ARB helped to....
If u can get your rear suspension to flex really well, then my advice to u is just install a Autolocker in the front and leave it at that. U will find u will most places everyone else goes.... I haven't needed to use my rear Air Locker as the Front AL pulls me through & up most places. U can buy the Autolocker from the states pretty cheap. I just bought 2 sierra ones at $205 each

Swaggie

Thank you for that Swaggie.

I just took a look & im Sold they look great might just have to give them a go.
BTW: looking @ there FAQ they recommend to do the front Diff first then maybe the back Diff.
:)

Regards:
Rob
When I eventually do mine, I prefer to have a locker on the front to be switchable, something I control although people say they still control an auto lokka using there right foot, I've driven my model with an auto locker in the front and didn't like it myself , the rear doesn't matter so much. You'll probably put all your gear in the rear so the weight will transfer to the back, so I'd say do that first.

Have you thought about a winch first, because lockers will still get you stuck with no other option out..

Cheers

Rigger64

When I eventually do mine, I prefer to have a locker on the front to be switchable, something I control although people say they still control an auto lokka using there right foot, I've driven my model with an auto locker in the front and didn't like it myself , the rear doesn't matter so much. You'll probably put all your gear in the rear so the weight will transfer to the back, so I'd say do that first.

Have you thought about a winch first, because lockers will still get you stuck with no other option out..

Cheers
Hi Guys
@ Swaggie Yes that is in the works as we speak i have the winch just need the bar to put it in. LOL

@ Rob i have the SWB Tara & like you say i might go with the front as it can be unlocked the look at going the air in the rear later.

peterfermtech

I have a Lokka on my D-max

Cons:
Steering is heavy in 4WD
Probably should install FWHubs as diff centre is now turning.
Pros:
Can turn with locked diff and not forced into straight line.
Get used to heavy steering pretty quickly.
Haven't noticed changed in fuel consumption.
In low range first vehicle is almost unstoppable.:D

regards

Rigger64

I have a Lokka on my D-max

Cons:
Steering is heavy in 4WD
Probably should install FWHubs as diff centre is now turning.
Pros:
Can turn with locked diff and not forced into straight line.
Get used to heavy steering pretty quickly.
Haven't noticed changed in fuel consumption.
In low range first vehicle is almost unstoppable.:D

regards
Have got FWHubs

Swaggie

The only other thing you need to take into consideration with your particular vehicle is when all the weight is on the back and your climbing a steep hill the front becomes very very light sometimes and you wont have much pull, either way get that winch fitted, the High Country is full of sticky red clay and one that's in your tyres it will spin on the spot, that's why I always state winch over lockers first....

rob_macca67

The only other thing you need to take into consideration with your particular vehicle is when all the weight is on the back and your climbing a steep hill the front becomes very very light sometimes and you wont have much pull, either way get that winch fitted, the High Country is full of sticky red clay and one that's in your tyres it will spin on the spot, that's why I always state winch over lockers first....
Swaggie, your right but with his being a SWB Vitara, that won't come into play too much as he won't be able to load it up too much and if he can get his rear to flex, then it's better in the front..... Putting one in the front is the cheaper alternative, but with that he may have to upgrade from 22spline axles to 26spline axles..... Then there's the Alloy Front Diff Housing that he will have to be careful of. they can tend break when put under heavy stress.... U can get a steel housing from the later model Vitaras or the early GV's.

Just having one in the front will get u along way, but u need to know of the other weaknesses I mentioned. I've also got reduction gears in mine which again help out in reducing the stress on the car as I can pretty much crawl everywhere....Even with larger tyres

Swaggie

Swaggie, your right but with his being a SWB Vitara, that won't come into play too much as he won't be able to load it up too much and if he can get his rear to flex, then it's better in the front..... Putting one in the front is the cheaper alternative, but with that he may have to upgrade from 22spline axles to 26spline axles..... Then there's the Alloy Front Diff Housing that he will have to be careful of. they can tend break when put under heavy stress.... U can get a steel housing from the later model Vitaras or the early GV's.

Just having one in the front will get u along way, but u need to know of the other weaknesses I mentioned. I've also got reduction gears in mine which again help out in reducing the stress on the car as I can pretty much crawl everywhere....Even with larger tyres
No worries Rob.. ;).. To me there's a potential for a few things to go wrong mechanically, bit like lifting the Hilux and CV's etc.. Yet ive driven my standard Hilux all over The High Country and its basically stock standard suspension wise.. Yet I have had no issues going where I wanted to go and if I think there could be I'll slowly winch the vehicle over...

Each to there own I guess

Cheers

muc the truck

Im after some opinions on which way to go im not keen on air but im not sure if a want to for the LOKKA as well namely as to the fact that i have a 1996 Suzuki Vitara & i can't seam to find an E-Locker for my Vitara Any suggestions which way to go.:confused:

Please help...........
Suzuki because there light a lokka doesn't give such a disadvantage in tight corners under load as a heavy 4x4 as the heavy 4x4 digs in more.

Any Suzuki I have seen with a front lokka is almost unbeatable . I would fit the $500 lokka in the front.

Rigger64

Suzuki because there light a lokka doesn't give such a disadvantage in tight corners under load as a heavy 4x4 as the heavy 4x4 digs in more.

Any Suzuki I have seen with a front lokka is almost unbeatable . I would fit the $500 lokka in the front.
Yeah well if i could get the LOKKA from Aus yet so it looks like im going to have to get them from the US which works out around just under $300AU.
Now i just need to get the block from a rear Diff.

rob_macca67

Yeah well if i could get the LOKKA from Aus yet so it looks like im going to have to get them from the US which works out around just under $300AU.
Now i just need to get the block from a rear Diff.
Just search the wreckers for a stuffed rear sierra diff or a stuffed Vitara Diff.... or look on Auszookers forum as I'm sure someone will have a spare one.....

Auszookers Forum

Rigger64

Just search the wreckers for a stuffed rear sierra diff or a stuffed Vitara Diff.... or look on Auszookers forum as I'm sure someone will have a spare one.....

Auszookers Forum
Yeah thats about what i was going to do there is a wreckers not far from work that has a Vitara that still has both diffs in it might have to see what price he will do both for them.