Airbags versus Coils?

croozza

Check your states mod laws first, in most cases it is not legal to do so, unless the manufacturer produces your model with it, the 80 series did not have this option, the 100 series does if it is IFS front, so air bag rear only.

myg600

Check your states mod laws first, in most cases it is not legal to do so, unless the manufacturer produces your model with it, the 80 series did not have this option, the 100 series does if it is IFS front, so air bag rear only.

most OEM bags are 4inch if you want wheel travel you will need 11inch bags to give you decent travel

cptmud

best one to talk to would be Hobzie from 4H. He ran a patrol at the outback challange with full air bag suspension. He also sells them from his online shop.

croozza

best one to talk to would be Hobzie from 4H. He ran a patrol at the outback challange with full air bag suspension. He also sells them from his online shop.

That's right, in the outback challenge, this is not a road going vehicle, if he was to drive it on the road between stages and got pulled over by the cops he would be a gonner! and it would be race over! "Air bags are not legal" unless it comes on the vehicle from the factory.

UncySpam

That's right, in the outback challenge, this is not a road going vehicle, if he was to drive it on the road between stages and got pulled over by the cops he would be a gonner! and it would be race over! "Air bags are not legal" unless it comes on the vehicle from the factory.

croozza, can you please tell me what law they are illegal under? When I talk to Hobzee he says they are legal, no engineering required, and at all 4 corners... and the patrol never had bags as an option....

LowLux

IMPO I would rather rely on the coils rather than something that could potentially leak. Don't know much about them though so my opinion is not worth a brass razzoo.

croozza

croozza, can you please tell me what law they are illegal under? When I talk to Hobzee he says they are legal, no engineering required, and at all 4 corners... and the patrol never had bags as an option....

If he is talking about helper airbags thats fine (as the spring is still there, and this will allow you to carry weight better), but replacing your coil springs, or leaf springs for airbags is illegal, unless your vehicle had it as an option when made. This law applies accross Australia.

UncySpam

If he is talking about helper airbags thats fine (as the spring is still there, and this will allow you to carry weight better), but replacing your coil springs, or leaf springs for airbags is illegal, unless your vehicle had it as an option when made. This law applies accross Australia.

but under what law is it illegal? I cant find any indication under the ADR's or ADR:M's that this is illegal. Maybe give us a link to the relevant section in the ADR's that makes this mod illegal?

UncySpam

IMPO I would rather rely on the coils rather than something that could potentially leak. Don't know much about them though so my opinion is not worth a brass razzoo.

My understanding of them is they are only as likely to leak, as a spring is to break. The upside to leaf springs is they are potentially fixable (temporarily) on the track, coil springs less likely to be. Air bags could well be as you could patch them like you would an inner tube... I wouldnt fit them without an in cab monitoring system for them...