Change background image

Air Vents

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by richardmcgowan, Sep 7, 2018.

1. richardmcgowan

richardmcgowan New Member

As I've just got back from 5000 ks of dirt tracks, need to make canopy more dust proof, so I got a ARB air vent and made it into remote control so as I can open or shut from drivers seat, No more dust from on coming traffic.
    Richard

dabbler likes this.
  2. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Umm, photos mate? Be keen to see how you did the remote.
    Tink

3. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

How did you seal the rear tailgate? Dust in the rear of a ute canopy was one of the deciding factors for me going a wagon not ute for a tourer.
    Dust free ute canopy is an impressive end result.

4. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

Vents create positive pressure. No need to seal the tailgate.

5. discomatt

So you would still get heaps of dust in when passing other cars...
    After just doing several 1000 km of dirt up nth I know dust gets in everywhere, some dick who removed the second and third row seats to reduce weight and make more room forgot to fill 2 of the seat bolt holes in the floor pan:mad:
    Even though they were covered with underlay , carpet and a false floor it still allowed heaps of dust in:(

billolga, Albynsw and dno67 like this.
  6. CaptainBanana

CaptainBanana Active Member

The "whirly bird" airvents pressurise the canopy whilst moving and due to airflow over the bonnet and roof generally being quite clean you can reduce dust getting in. If your canopy has a front sliding window this being opened can sometimes achieve the same thing... Until you stop moving in which case the dust does gets in anyway.

7. Colly18

Colly18 Member

As CaptainBanana says, if you have a canopy with a front window, leaving the front window open to pressurise the canopy works for us. Depending on the tailgate design you will still get some dust (probably from slow speeds when the canopy is not pressurised), but for us that has been minimal. We have a sliding front window, but if you have a lift up front window then propping it open some way will have the same effect.
    And a bit of red dust proves you've been somewhere! :)

8. richardmcgowan

richardmcgowan New Member

to all those interested, as one said, fill cabin or canopy with air will pressurize and keeps dust out. by using a vent in the canopy you must be able to control when to leave open and when to shut (on coming traffic) so I fitted a ARB vent (cost of $70) and fitted one part of a Central locking system ($35 on ebay)
    works like a teat and with the control button can open and shut from drivers seat.

discomatt and itlldoo like this.
  9. Lovey

Lovey Active Member

This sounds like a great mod, could you put some pictures up please?

10. David Durrant

David Durrant New Member

I would also be interested in this mod.

11. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

At what speed do you achieve postive pressure in the canopy? You would need to know this so you could close the roof vent below this speed or the vent would then be an additional entry point for dust.
    Tink

12. billolga

billolga 4x4 Earth Contributer

The is maybe an App for that.:cool::D

13. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

Very low. In my experience it is pretty much always better to have the vent open. Closing it creates vacuum problem which is what you don’t want. I only closed it in heavy rain.

14. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

No, not much at all. Scupper vents are small. You obviously need one in the land rover and you won’t get dust in your bolt holes. That is the very definition of positive pressure which you clearly don’t have. 200 series are also pretty woeful for dust through the rear door if you don’t run fresh air all the time. Sealing factory Ute tubs never works successfully.

15. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Yeah, but wouldn’t the size of the gaps already in the tub have to be smaller than the size of the vent’s opening for you to have any chance of creating postive pressure? Or am I thinking this wrong?
    Tink

16. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

there would definitely be a cross over point but as soon as the forward movement of the car starts catching air it is more than enough to overcome the vacuum through the rear gaps. I had the brown Davis tray sealing kit on this Ute and took it back off. Not needed and a pain for cleaning.with big gaps I find the breeze kind of self cleans the tray at highway speeds.

17. BIGCOL

BIGCOL Well-Known Member

I fitted a ARB air vent to my rear canopy just last week, I'm heading off to the Kimberley on Wednesday and will do thousands and thousands of ks on dirt over the next 5 weeks. So my first hand experience will be reported on my return. I've heard a lot of positive things about them so I hope it brings positive air pressure to my rear!!! Any reduced dust will be good, I think my neighbours here in Melbourne are a bit sick of all the red crap I leave out front when I return from such trips Ha!!

Col.

18. discomatt

Or I could just put the bolts back in and fill the holes and it would be dust proof... No dust came in the tail gate, its not a Toyota so no dust through the air filter either:p
    Our biggest issue is we like the windows open so trying to keep the dust out is always going to be a challenge:rolleyes:
    Should have seen the amount of sand I had to clean out after getting it stuck to the chassis rails at the SA gathering:oops:

19. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Sealed every hole and gap in my well body and tried to seal the tailgate but that is pretty hard to achieve 100%. Fitted an ARB air vent to the canopy. Dust still gets in between in the top corners of the tailgate/canopy window join. Just noway that I could see to seal this area.
    Vent works just fine with a bit of speed. But every time you slow down for another vehicle (I am courteous not like most arsehats on dirt roads) or have to drive through that other vehicle’s dust or drive slowly offroad, the dust gets sucked in through every tiny hole AND through the top vent. That is why being able to close the top vent from the driver’s seat would be a good thing. Hope the OP shows us how
    Tink

20. Ranger_Scott

Ranger_Scott Member

I returned from Birdsville a few weeks back, and had also fitted an ARB canopy vent just prior, and had previously fitted sealing around tailgate to try and stop dust. Worked pretty well. Dust in the tub area had gone from being everywhere on previous trips to just mainly limited to around the tailgate. There was a light coverage of fine dust over most things, but nothing like it used to be.

cam04 likes this.