Air - Evolution Tents

Dazzle

Anybody have one of the Darche Air-Evolution Tent AT4, seem them advertised in 4wd action mag, wondered if has some experience with it, good or bad points, price seems high but maybe the lack of poles is a good thing?

:)

Campin40

Haven't seen one in the flesh but I have to say I'm a little apprehensive at the thought of my tent springing aleak and de-falting during the night. Another thing that occurred to me was that the air pressure in the inflated parts would change with changes in ambient temperature, just like an air mattress.
When you fill an air mattress during the heat of the afternoon it pumps up nice and firm then, as the temperature drops during the night the volume of the air shrinks and the mattress feels like its deflating. It hasn't, its just the volume of the air in the mattress shrinking.
I recon the same thing could happen with this tent.
Just my two cents worth..
Waz.

scarps

At least you'll never leave home without the tent poles again:) and it would be a lot lighter.
On the other side of things, they've been making inflatable boats for many years so good chance they'll be ok for the life of the tent.

eric162

Well for what its worth I purchased a DARCHE Double swag and couldn't be more happier with the quality and workman ship...Been in storms and high winds and Ive always woken up dry but not often sobre...

Dazzle

AT4 tent

Today I finally had a real look at the tent, sent a message to the company to locate a standing version, quick reply, looks good, the concern with the leaking (previous post) is minimized due to the air poles being very robust, I saw the 4 person version and it is big, not like most 4 person? designs a squeeze to get one or two in, this would fit 4 and still have room.
I like way the fly is integrated onto the tent, plenty of windows, bucket floor good. I see it has an awning as well. which the vortex air pitch does not, dark roof as well, the air pitch has a white roof which would have people wake up before the birds sing.

I am sold.

:):):cool:

bigjew

Air beam tents are very popular in Europe and have been for years.Europeans often experience extreme weather conditions. These tents are just starting to make an appearance over here,so I would wait for a while before contemplating buying one.;)

Natalie

Hi there, Anyone have any experience with the Darche Air-Volution AT6. We purchased one for Christmas and it is fantastic - until it gets windy - it blows in on itself. Air pressure is fine and it is pegged down but it just "blows in". I would be interested in hearing what others think of this tent!
Happy Camping!

bigjew

Most dome tents lay down and spring back up in windy conditions.I wouldn't be too concerned.
Did you peg out all the guy ropes?

Natalie

Yes, all the ropes were pegged down, and it did spring up a couple of times but then just stayed flat. Must have been too windy for it. Too scary for the kids sleeping in the tent. Don't want to scare them off too young.

Dazzle

Air Tent

Well I ordered one AT4 before xmas, due middle of Jan or so, the shop had 4 units two weeks before xmas, sold out when I went back.

Refering to previous post about windy conditions I wonder if the pressure is low perhaps the gauge is wrong, is there a way to check it, that might explain the sagging. the demo on the shop floor the poles were quite firm (although inside) perhaps send a message to Darche they might suggest a quick resolution. xmas holidays will delay the response.

Amaroc

I too am looking at getting the AT6. I like everything about was recently at a 4x4 show. From not knowing anything about this tent I had it fully up in just under 15 minutes. Yes will be interesting to see what Darche say about the wind factor.

Tez :)

Aaron Schubert

These look awesome, and would have a number of advantages. Still, what do you do if you get a hole 2 weeks into a big trip when you are in the middle of no where? I guess you could try to repair it, but what are the chances it would hold?

Aaron

Amaroc

These look awesome, and would have a number of advantages. Still, what do you do if you get a hole 2 weeks into a big trip when you are in the middle of no where? I guess you could try to repair it, but what are the chances it would hold?

Aaron

I have sent an email off to Darche to ask them that exact question will let you know, also asked him about the strong wind factor

Aaron Schubert

It will be interesting to see what they say. We lived off a single burner screwed straight onto an LPG bottle for 2 weeks as the proper burner we had was leaking gas, when we were miles away from civilization with no plans of returning soon. Having to do that for 2 weeks was extremely frustrating, and a tent is a little more important than your burner!

Aaron

Amaroc

Update

I have sent an email off to Darche to ask them that exact question will let you know, also asked him about the strong wind factor

Wrote to Daerche asking the following;

1 How does it stand up to strong winds so it does not collapse in on oneself?
2 What happens if one of the Air poles springs a leak, how is it repaired? Does it come with a repair kit for just such emergencies?

Reply from Darche, quote in part.....................

" The Air-Volution tents are designed for general camping use in normal conditions (not extreme conditions). (Did not ask about extreme I asked about strong )

We have tested the tents in both controlled environments and in the field, and for the 2014/15 spec models have introduced a ridgepole system in the tent roof, which has as improved stability.

There is no emergency repair kit for our Air-volution products, all air poles have been manufactured under strict Darche quality assurance. "

Have asked then what happens if there is a leak or a knife puncture for example and was referred to the You tube video ????????

Replied again asking for a specific answer as to how one goes about repairing them IF such a thing happened. Making me wonder on this product if they cant answer a simple question

Albynsw

You can get quality repair kits for inflatable boats like Thundercats etc so would expect you could use the same/ similar
What psi do they recommend? Assume it would only be around 6 PSI as that is what those boats run at and they are quite firm

Amaroc

Update

There is no repair kit as such. If someone takes to your pole or you get a puncture it has to be replaced. Trying to ascertain to find out what PSI the poles are to look at what Albynsw suggested as well the cost of the poles.

lurkr

Sooo .... has anyone got some real-world experience with these. I'm looking at the AT6, and they've added a ridge pole for stability at some point. Dropped into a store to check out a display model, and the quality looks good. THICK bucket floor, good quality material all round, and pretty solid/stable, even just in the store without the guy-ropes (more stable that the black wolf, for instance).
I'm sick of tents that take 45 minutes to pitch, and don't want to have to throw on roof racks every time we make a quick trip to Rainbow (i.e. OzTent ... too long). This looks like a real good option.

Natalie

We had no luck with the Darche. The first one kept blowing over, and one of the tubes actually burst open. The Rep said that there was a manufacturing issue so almost a year latter they replaced it for us. But if had lots of faults - the tubes looked twisted and one had a "kink" in it and the stitching around the floor in a couple of places was not stitched up - we ended up with a refund.