Air-con Clean

Does your AC smell like a swamp when it first starts up.
Mine did.
Because there is no cabin filter on these beasts, all the dust and stuff gets sucked into the airbox and collects in and around the AC unit.
Add condensate when running and you have a biological breeding ground and mud trap.
So last weekend, finally got around to cleaning the AC at the source of the problem.
Access to the AC coil is not the easiet, so a hole was required - 19mm holesaw in the corner of the box under the glovebox first.
A 19mm sealed grommet does the job afterwards to keep the air in.
Next you prepare the internal area by wetting it down with water. I used a spray bottle and a good 500ml of clean water.
Next using a can of MIZU AC Cleaning Spray (shake first to make foam), dosed through the hole until it came out the hole. Ensure you use the tube on the can to direct all over, around and under the coil.
Leave for 15 minutes and then rinse thoroughly with the spray bottle.
NOTE: Probably a good time to check the drain at the bottom is clear and drains out through the firewall...
Turn on the fan and it smells lovely :)
I repeated it and when the foam was still in there, turned the fan on and pushed it through the coil for a good clean.
Rinse and repeat.
Did a total of three times and also sprayed foam down the vents and rinsed and wiped clean.
Since doing this, the airflow through the vents is the best ever and no more swamp smell.
WARNING: When drilling the access hole, ensure that you control the holesaw so that you don't go straight through a into the coil. ..that would be bad. ..
The MIZU spray is available through the Air-
IMG20180227171228.jpg
IMG20180227171305.jpg
IMG20180227173952.jpg
Con Warehouses.

99pc chimpanzee

Hey hillsdweller,i haven't investigated how it all hooks up,just wondering,i am thinking their must be more clips on the rear/what stops the cover from dropping down or is it pieced together there somewhere?Thanks.
Also how do you find the air-con overall?i have never been that impressed with mine even since new,it seems at times to only take the edge off,had it recently regassed and still a bit ho-hum.
Thinking I might give this a crack,see what happens.
Thanks

Hey hillsdweller,i haven't investigated how it all hooks up,just wondering,i am thinking their must be more clips on the rear/what stops the cover from dropping down or is it pieced together there somewhere?Thanks.
Also how do you find the air-con overall?i have never been that impressed with mine even since new,it seems at times to only take the edge off,had it recently regassed and still a bit ho-hum.
Thinking I might give this a crack,see what happens.
Thanks
Air-con works brilliantly now, nice cold a]r.
Air flow is much better after clean, but compared to other cars I've had, they are not the best.
The airbox appears to have the clips all round holding it together, which is why I ended up drilling into it for access to the cores inside.

Aren't you concerned this will further imbed the larger junk into the evaporator.
The hole should be on the clean side and water or better, air get blown back through to dislodge the clogged side, rather than push the stuff through where its getting stuck and risk clogging the evaporator, which would make things worse and be very expensive to replace.
Food for thought