Aggressive AT again, MT, or AT...

mauriceb

One lasted 20km and the other 100km bush bashing. ... Maybe next time your in the big smoke go to Specsavers, they test your eyes and fit prescription glasses so you can see and avoid the stakes. Its common for desert cross country travelers to pick there line carefully instead of crunching mulga to avoid unnecessary damage.

Wara

Again thanks for the tip, but maybe you should go home because you’re embarrassing yourself trying to lecture me on how to drive in the bush. You have clearly never driven in thick mulga country if you think you can just find a route through without having to crunch anything. Also when there is fire all around you, sometimes you just have to move. I do this for a living day in day out with the best in the business. And yes the maxxis that lastEs 20 and 100km were on burns where there was no choice but to crunch mulga (which we do everyday anyway) and they didn’t perform. Actually had to do a F1 speed tire change to avoid getting burnt, if I had of had westlakes on like normal it wouldn’t of punctured because I actually know what you can and can’t crunch safely.

rob_macca67

Well I wouldn’t of thought that poor puncture resistance is a selling point? I think they were big horns.

anyway that’s my opinion of them from pretty extreme use in the desert. Most of the reviews you read of tires are from some bloke saying they got 40k out of this tire and 60k out of that etc, they clearly aren’t putting them to work beyond towing a caravan. Going 40k on a tire and claiming they are really puncture resistant doesn’t really mean anything if you don’t go anywhere where a tire is very likely to be punctured

It’s like I said.... it comes down to where u are driving and the type of driving u are doing... From your previous comments where u Drive is probably not where most people drive (I take it u are a member of the rural fire services?) if u are driving through burning bush, etc...
Tyre manufacturers are always trying to improve their tyres so something that u had a bad experience with a while ago may no longer be the case... The early BFG’s and Coopers are just some that have greatly improved over the years...

Last edited:

Wara

It’s like I said.... it comes down to where u are driving and the type of driving u are doing... From your previous comments where u Drive is probably not where most people drive (I take it u are a member of the rural fire services?) if u are driving through burning us here, etc...
Tyre manufacturers are always trying to improve their tyres so something that u had a bad experience wit a while ago may no longer be the case... The early BFG’s and Coopers are just some that have greatly improved over the years...
no I work with an indigenous ranger team.

yes what we do is not typical and my comments may seem strange to those that don’t know the context. However my point was is that based on what we do, they performed very poorly and puncture easily. Which to me indicates a poor tire, as I said isn’t really a selling point. Most people may never find out that they puncture easily, but some might. This was in July btw

CaptainBanana

So to paraphrase - because you drive in ridiculous terrain every day like a racing pro the products you have used are complete rubbish and absolutely useless for the majority of the population? I’m just wondering if anyone will ever be able to say anything on this forum where you don’t come back and say you’ve done it better further harder longer whatever.

CaptainBanana

So to further my point that you actually don’t know everything like you seem to claim on every post the last set of Maxis I owned were over 12 years ago and they were also the only set I owned and I don’t really care for them one way or the other.

Wara

Mate get over it. If you don’t like my opinions (based on actual experience) then ignore them.

boobook

Federals are OK for traction but have a tendency to crack between the tread blocks, I had one disintegrate while driving down the Monash in the pouring rain , mentioned it to my tire shop and they said it was an issue with them. Mine were 6 years old and about 40,000km.
I now have Toyo open country MT they seem to be pretty good
Was that around 2014 Matt? They seem to have had a recall on this issue around then?

Wara

don’t worry I’m not taking anything you say as having any merit whatsoever.
because it goes against what you think? Bit sad. You were trying to have dig at me over my “meritless” views on Iridium until a bunch of other long term experienced members confirmed what I was saying. If anyone is lacking merit it is you.

CaptainBanana

because it goes against what you think? Bit sad. You were trying to have dig at me over my “meritless” views on Iridium until a bunch of other long term experienced members confirmed what I was saying. If anyone is lacking merit it is you.

I think you should go back and re-Read whatever you think you saw because I don’t have a clue about satellite phones and haven’t made any suggestions otherwise,Even now you’re trying to put a negative spin on something that doesn’t exist

Wara

ah that’s right that wasn’t you. But you did post,

“You seem to know everything about everything so how about rather than just keep knocking those with more money and devices than you, you give us some useful advice on the best way to communicate when in the middle of nowhere?”

so in two threads you have taken aim at me for sharing my opinion and experience. How is a accusing someone of thinking they know everything, not also putting a negative spin on something? Lol. As I said I don’t know what your problem is, put me on ignore. FYI I have plenty of money, it’s interesting you took my comments as jealousy. Perhaps you are jealous being stuck in Victoria while i cruiser around the bush.

Putting you on ignore so if you want to reply again then it’s clearly for your own benefit

John U

Briefly had maxxis on the car, two different AT’s, can’t remember the models. One lasted 20km and the other 100km bush bashing. While no tire is puncture proof, many tires are way more puncture resistant than maxxiss. I was shocked at the twig that went through the sidewall on one. They certainly can’t crunch mulga like westlakes can
I've got Maxxis RAZR MT's and they have been sure footed in the Vic High Country. I'm still pretty new to 4wding but I reckon the softer compound has helped me on the slippery surfaces in the high country and compared to the previous Goodyear (Wranglers?) I have had less a$$ clenching moments.
The wear on the RAZR's doesn't appear to be great but that is the expected downside of a softer compound tyre. I'm also guessing that getting staked through the side of the tyre might be another downside. I haven't done much bush bashing yet. I'll be careful if I go bush bashing.

Wara

I've got Maxxis RAZR MT's and they have been sure footed in the Vic High Country. I'm still pretty new to 4wding but I reckon the softer compound has helped me on the slippery surfaces in the high country and compared to the previous Goodyear (Wranglers?) I have had less a$$ clenching moments.
The wear on the RAZR's doesn't appear to be great but that is the expected downside of a softer compound tyre. I'm also guessing that getting staked through the side of the tyre might be another downside. I haven't done much bush bashing yet. I'll be careful if I go bush bashing.
sounds like their performance in the mud is their weakness in the desert. Either way I stand by my view that a a tire can’t be classed as good without having puncture resistance

Wara

The problem was that you bought a "tire" not a "tyre" - in Aust we have tyres so if you had one of them rather than a Tire you would have been all good. ;)
oh really? Haha. To be honest I’ve never been quite sure if it’s tire or tyre. So tyre?

discomatt

Some times I tire over the bickering about tyres and who knows what :)
Was that around 2014 Matt? They seem to have had a recall on this issue around then?
No it was later than that, that they failed on me so badly but they could have been bought around that time but not 100% sure but the tire/tyre suppliers did acknolge the problem and stated the price had gone up and better tires were available in the same price range.

boobook

Some times I tire over the bickering about tyres and who knows what :)

No it was later than that, that they failed on me so badly but they could have been bought around that time but not 100% sure but the tire/tyre suppliers did acknolge the problem and stated the price had gone up and better tires were available in the same price range.
HAHAHAHA. Very good.