Aggressive AT again, MT, or AT...

Albynsw

Online sales, should be no different except it's the consumer being greedy trying to save a few dollars. Im all for good value, but l still expect support if there's a problem.:)
I don’t think it is necessarily the consumers fault, they are buying cheap because it is made available to them
I still have enough Scottish blood running through my veins to love a bargain but if it is an item that I think might need warranty support I will happily pay extra to buy from a reputable seller
Retail in general has screwed itself silly trying to increase sales and profit to a point there is not much left

dno67

I don’t think it is necessarily the consumers fault, they are buying cheap because it is made available to them
I still have enough Scottish blood running through my veins to love a bargain but if it is an item that I think might need warranty support I will happily pay extra to buy from a reputable seller
Retail in general has screwed itself silly trying to increase sales and profit to a point there is not much left
100%.
Sadly the majority of attitudes seem to be. Is cheap, is good. Is cheapest is best. This has resulted in lots of crap by brought and supplied at the expense of good bricks and mortar retailers, until our choices become so limited new opportunities will present for a good operator or two to enter the market. Trouble is sorting the wheat from the chaff.

Triton14

100%.
Sadly the majority of attitudes seem to be. Is cheap, is good. Is cheapest is best.
I would say while some people want the cheap cheap some also want to try to get the o the middle ground as well.

There is usually so much info out there now that if you have ordered something not knowing what it WILL do then you have not done your homework.

I didnt spend what it was worth to buy a Warne but bought a Smity built instead.
Could have bought a dominator.

Whats cheap & does not work as advertised?

dno67

Whats cheap & does not work as advertised?
Quality and aftersales service.. lol
20200126_195451.jpg

Online purchase above Vs in-store purchase below.

20200126_195651.jpg

Very little info available in regards to the bit size, without having both infront of you to compare.

Last edited:

Rags90mod

Notice any difference in how it drives going from alloy to steel?
Bit hard to say for now as it was a windy trip back, but it does seem slightly more more stable with the 8" rims. That may be a pseudo effect though, time will tell

boobook

Resurrecting an old thread.

I am looking for a set of MT's which will be my second set, and only used for trips to the High Country. The mid to cheaper tyres seem more aggressive than say BFG or TOYO. I am not too concerned about life or noise but I do want something that is safe on the road.

I see that Federal Cougrias get a lot of good reviews and Achilles less so. Both seem to be ok but noisy and last 30 Km at best.

I like to get rid of muddies at about 50% wear which would last me at least 5 years at 15,000kms of dedicated use.

Has anyone got goo or bad feedback on that basis? Or are they just another cheap Chinese piece of unsafe junk?

CaptainBanana

I had the federals on the Jeep, 11,000 kays resulted in 60-70% wear measured with a vernier not guessed. I do have an auto locker though and towed the caravan on them once. Noise is bad but not the worst I've had, supsingly road traction is good and not lots of tread squirm.

I had KM3s on the Triton for the last month or 2 before selling and tore massive chunks off them on the first trip, this has been reported by others but not sure if much has changed the last 2 years. Noise was OK considering, on road grip was good but they are soft so life may have been bad ill never know.

I'm on my 4th set of tyres in 18 months now, I've made quite a few setup changes on the car during the build and now run hankook rt03. I called them an aggressive all terrain rather than outright mud terrain, I've driven them in a few different places including the high country and even during the river crossings and the very steep climbs and muddy exits I didn't hear or feel them slip even once they do seem to clear very well. Road performance is good turn in his sharp and rain hasn't been an issue although I haven't spent hours and hours driving in the rain, in my 32 inch size they are noisiest at around 80 and actually better at around 100 but the diameter will make a difference in your car.

With the federals I drove them through toolangi during winter in all the mud muck and Clay I've driven them in the Portland sand dunes and I've had them in the high country and they weren't an issue anywhere, very surprised for such a cheap tyre although they're not cheap when you look at them from a wear vs cost perspective.

The photo below was Toolangi the month I bought the car when it was completely stock other than tyres and bullbar you can see they are still clearing themselves even in that slop.
Screenshot_20201231_065728_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Last edited:

discomatt

Federals are OK for traction but have a tendency to crack between the tread blocks, I had one disintegrate while driving down the Monash in the pouring rain , mentioned it to my tire shop and they said it was an issue with them. Mine were 6 years old and about 40,000km.
I now have Toyo open country MT they seem to be pretty good

Albynsw

Have a look at the Maxxis RAZR , they have a good looking MT and as much as I love my Nitto MT’s ( which you could consider as well) I am thinking of trying a set of the Maxxis in their AT version as they are still quite aggressive and a step back for me for onroad use

rob_macca67

I've just fitted a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3W to my 4WD... Couldn't find anything real negative about them so will see how they go over time...

boobook

Federals are OK for traction but have a tendency to crack between the tread blocks, I had one disintegrate while driving down the Monash in the pouring rain , mentioned it to my tire shop and they said it was an issue with them. Mine were 6 years old and about 40,000km.
I now have Toyo open country MT they seem to be pretty good
I seem to keep coming back to Toyos Matt, in AT. Though I have always bought BFG in Mud which wasn't bad, just exxy for limited use. I don't think I could go wrong with Toyos but want to limit how much I spend gen the low kms. Thanks

Toyasaurus

I`ve had BFG muds very good lots of K`s.
Maxxis, ok lots of tyre rumble, wore out pretty quickly.

New truck has coopers At, ok noisey good K`s. I`ve done 60k on them and they were on the truck when I got it, still going.
I have a spare set of steelies with Kumo muds for playing, haven`t used them yet.
They are also directional, didn`t know that when I bought them, lucky I have 6.

Wara

Briefly had maxxis on the car, two different AT’s, can’t remember the models. One lasted 20km and the other 100km bush bashing. While no tire is puncture proof, many tires are way more puncture resistant than maxxiss. I was shocked at the twig that went through the sidewall on one. They certainly can’t crunch mulga like westlakes can

Reactions: phs

rob_macca67

Briefly had maxxis on the car, two different AT’s, can’t remember the models. One lasted 20km and the other 100km bush bashing. While no tire is puncture proof, many tires are way more puncture resistant than maxxiss. I was shocked at the twig that went through the sidewall on one. They certainly can’t crunch mulga like westlakes can
There's many different types of Maxxis tyres with some being normal A/T's vs LT A/T's all in the same tyre model. So to boldly say that all Maxxis tyres are no good is a bit over the top... I've run Maxxis MT674 on my zook and they were a great tyre yet others would probably say different...

Would I buy Maxxis again - Yes, but I wanted to try something different this time around. It really comes down to where u plan on driving and the type of driving u plan on doing imo

Wara

Well I wouldn’t of thought that poor puncture resistance is a selling point? I think they were big horns.

anyway that’s my opinion of them from pretty extreme use in the desert. Most of the reviews you read of tires are from some bloke saying they got 40k out of this tire and 60k out of that etc, they clearly aren’t putting them to work beyond towing a caravan. Going 40k on a tire and claiming they are really puncture resistant doesn’t really mean anything if you don’t go anywhere where a tire is very likely to be punctured