advise needed

mongrel_83

hey all, just wondering if anyone knows how much of a lift i have to get to fit 33's under my 92 hilux without them hitting any where i was gunna get a 2'' spring lift but do you think i need to lift the body as well??????????
also what kind of springs should i be looking at it is a daily driver but i still want it to handle the off road stuff pretty well i was looking at either rockcrawler or efs
cheers for any help, ben

Chard

4x4 Earth Contributer
2 inches will prob get you there but give a little more info on your rig.
I am thinking it is a solid axle, (dont even think they had IFS back in 92) so they already have a fair bit of clearance. I used to run 31x10r15's on my old 86 dual cab without any worries. You will find if its a diesel it will struggle with the extra rubber and load up the trans too, my mates have gone with reduction gears to compensate. Body lifts have a lot of hidden extras that you might not realize until you start getting into it.

mongrel_83

its a 92 solid axle turbo diesel the front springs are stuffed it scrubs the 31's turning in driveways i really want a bit more ground clearance thats why im going for the 33's

Chard

4x4 Earth Contributer
Ok change the springs if they are stuffed. You could go with extended shackles but if the springs are a bit faded replace them with a good brand spring. For more travel in a leaf spring you can get "climax shackles" that have a double joint in them for way more flex. Check out BBM motor sports. Save your money on a body lift and just do the spring lift properly the first time.(Long travel shocks) IMHO. Could be up for a bit of cash though.

mongrel_83

yeah i know im gunna be up for a bit but it has to be done and i can save on labour cost by doing it at work after hours and i have a pretty big list of things that i would like to do so its gunna take some time but i want to do it right the first time round

dudelux

Hey mate, go with 2inch spring lift, it should clear the 33s, if tyres still scrub, go a 2 inch body lift as well, easy as to put in.
Just remember to get extended brakelines fitted before the lift goes in.

Good luck

croozza

its a 92 solid axle turbo diesel the front springs are stuffed it scrubs the 31's turning in driveways i really want a bit more ground clearance thats why im going for the 33's

Where do they scrub, is it on the body work or on the rear of the spring.
If it is body work (i'm assuming it is the rear of the front guard) then you can trim/fold the guard back a bit. Might even be on the mud flap bolt where it hits.
If it is the spring, then you can change the offset of the wheels or adjust the lock stops, adjusting the lock stops will give you a bigger turning circle though.

offroader3

Gday Mongrel 83 ...just To Add To Your ? ...i Have A Fellow Wheeler That Has A Ln106 Live Axle Dual Cab He Has Just Done The Mods With These Slight Mistakes ...went 3" Lift Springs Efs 33" Muddies ..now They Do Hit Body Under Full Flex But Also He Has Lost Substantial Power ...says If He Keeps Current Setup Would Need At Least 1 Inch Body Lift To Fix Scrubbin Or Wished He Had Got 32" Inch Tyres And Kept Some 2.8l Diesel Power Up His Sleeve It Is A Stock Engine Though ...notices Big Power Loss From When He Did Same Steep Tracks With Standard Tyre And Wheels .....hope This Helps

dudelux

If you have power loss from running bigger tyres, its more than likely your gearing/diff ratios, 4.3 should have enough to run 33s, change your diff centres to either 4.5 or 4.8 and you should be fine.
I have a non turbo 2.4 diesel, running 35s and using 4.5 ratios. I havent noticed any loss in power or torque, but it was pretty gutless on 31s.

offroader3

theres another catch to goin diffrent ratios from standard because your fitting more teeth on crownwheel to fit them all on of course the teeth have to to be thinner so you can create a weak spot that was my mates concern thats what the diff guys said to be wary of as he looked at changing ratios ...:D

dudelux

If your changing the centre, it wouldnt be a problem would it?? By changing centre i mean unbolt old centre, take out and fit new centre, rebolt. Wouldnt the crownwheel be changed with the centre anyway??

gdog

Take a look at the Price difference, between two and four inch lift. You might find, as I did, that it was only a little more to pay for the extra two inches and you might be happier down the road.

As to the power losses due to bigger rubber. You will notice some, but it really won't be enough until you get to using 35's to warrant diff centre changes. Think about the braking package on the front too. You'll find with the hilux on bigger rubber is little harder to pull up.