advice

allan

New to 4x4 experience. Travelled twice now outback wih friends and totally enjoyed myself. now looking to get my own 4x4 thinking of troopie as first. Is this a good and reliable vehicle and not to soft for first one?

4X4

New to 4x4 experience. Travelled twice now outback wih friends and totally enjoyed myself. now looking to get my own 4x4 thinking of troopie as first. Is this a good and reliable vehicle and not to soft for first one?
It all depends on what you want your vehicle to do. People set up their cars to suit their own requirements. Troopie's unfortunately come under the category of "you either love them or hate them"! They are a no frills, reliable vehicle.

Cheers

knot_gillty

Definitely not a "soft" vehicle. As 4x4 says, you either love them or hate them. Me personally, love them. I will most probably be getting one as my next rig IF the 80 series dies. They are a good car with the extras list endless. Maybe the only problem about them is if you lift them too high they get a bit top heavy. Depending on if you have kids or not this would be a great first 4wd.

Now you've made me want mine earlier than i need. With 2 young kids it's a bit hard finding one with a rear bench seat for the child seats.

Good luck finding your first 4wd and the bug bites, HARD!!

Gilly

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
G'day Allen, Throw in a few ideas of what you want to do and what you want to carry and how much of it. That will give all the clowns ere a better idea of what vehicle may suit you better. Troopys!! I hate em! Rough, uncomfortable, less capable than an an 80 ser or a patrol in standard form. heavy, too tall, (especially lifted.) They are definately a lovem or hayem truck. TRUCK is the word. I would'nt suggest one for a first 4by. That's only my opinion, (I can feel hackles rising all across Aus!) A good long distance tourer but as a dailey driver and weekend getaway rig, I'll stick to my Patrol. :D

You dunno what you've got yourself into!!:rolleyes: Just remember that your first one won't be your last one, so be prepared to experiment a bit and have an open mind. :confused: Just like Grumpy!! :eek:

Grumpy

G'day Allen, Throw in a few ideas of what you want to do and what you want to carry and how much of it. That will give all the clowns ere a better idea of what vehicle may suit you better. Troopys!! I hate em! Rough, uncomfortable, less capable than an an 80 ser or a patrol in standard form. heavy, too tall, (especially lifted.) They are definately a lovem or hayem truck. TRUCK is the word. I would'nt suggest one for a first 4by. That's only my opinion, (I can feel hackles rising all across Aus!) A good long distance tourer but as a dailey driver and weekend getaway rig, I'll stick to my Patrol. :D

You dunno what you've got yourself into!!:rolleyes: Just remember that your first one won't be your last one, so be prepared to experiment a bit and have an open mind. :confused: Just like Grumpy!! :eek:

An open mind and big ears are two things that should help u decide, an open mind so as your not restricted and big ears so as u can take in everything people say and finally a real good sense of taste so as u dont buy a lemon regardless of your final decision may be.

bubba

4x4 Earth Contributer
Vehicle

Hi

All I can offer is that I am happy with my GQ Patrol. It's comfortable and does the job for me. Of course I would like a newer vehicle, but I am happy with my vehicle when you take into account cost, reliability and comfort.

Like the others have said, work out what you want to do and I am sure there will be plenty of feedback to consider.

Cheers
Bubba

Davidman

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Hi Allen,
The posts above all offer sound advice, personally, I'd go the Pajero, but then I'm biased.
Enjoy the site

Croozer

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Toopys are hard workers. If you really want to battle the elaments or just tour. Its best to do your research.

Have fun here lotsa great ppl and info.

cruiserlad

4x4 Earth Contributer
ask uncle adzy he might sell you his as he was thinking about a hundred series i think he is going soft in his o;d age i know what he means though i still have a use for my kidneys and they would get shaken up to much in a troopie cheers mate and welcome

rollywheeler

G'day Allen

A good read of the relevant sections of the Dog and Lemon Guide might prove useful especially if reliability is important to you and if you don't have bags of money to throw around.

Patriot

Administrator
Hey Allen,

Rollywheeler has a good point about the dog and lemon guide. It is an interesting read with lots of information.

There is no right answer to the 'which 4by' question. It all depends on what you want to do with it, if you have kids, touring or just playing, will it be your daily drive as well as weekend toy, how hard you want to push it and last but not least, how much money you have to burn :)

Let us know what you want to do and we will all put our 2 cents in.

James

Ekki Adventurers

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hello Fellow Croweater,
All I can say is we love our '92 Paj. She's not the fastest but she's never let us down. She's comfortable on the blacktop and has handled everything we've asked of her.:)

But then like Davidman "I might be a bit biased "
Ever wondered why we still have our Paj's with all the ribbing we get;)
Karen