Advice Please!!

Lawson.Harper

Hi all,

I’m from small farming town north of Perth but now living in the city, looking to get out for fourbys and escaping the city. I currently have a 2005 ford courier 4L v6 which is a pretty alright four wheel drive being a ute which is handy but it’s given me nothing but trouble. It’s extremely expensive on fuel which I cannot afford being a first year uni student. I’m wondering if anyone can help in regards to purchasing a 1990s Suzuki Vitara, we used to run sierras up at our cattle station and they were bullet proof. Has anyone had experience with vitaras? Are they a good fourby (mainly powerlines every once and awhile but mainly camping)? Good on fuel and economical to run? I’m a 17 year old just left school,
92250E90-E40D-4A70-A4EE-E44356070791.jpeg
going to uni as mentioned before. Money is an issue so is it worth sticking with the courier? Or a vitara? There’s a 1993 stock as a rock vitara for sale @ $2750 which is within my budget if I sell the courier.

Any input is super appreciated! Thank you all!

Tink

Welcome to Earth.
Good on you for asking for advice. Most 17 year olds think they already know everything ;) I hope some forum members can give you some evidence based feedback.
I personally have never owned a Vitara but my FIL has an old Jimny which just keeps on going. 200K plus.
Good luck in your search.
Tink

Albynsw

Welcome to the forum
My son has a 92 model Grand Vitara 2.5 litre V6 petrol and it is a fantastic car. I can’t tell you consumption figures but it is thirstier than a Hyundai i35 but I would say better than your Courier. His is an auto which would be heavier on fuel than the manuals.
Hope that helps you

cam04

If the courier is reliable then pay the fuel tax mate. Get rid if the big tyres and go back to factory rubber, not LT and you’ll pick up a litre or more per hundred. Get it serviced and change the filters (air?). Keep it empty and drive like a granny - god knows you’ll have to in a Suzuki, without having the option of pedalling it once in a while. Fuel is literally the cheapest part of owning a car and at the money you are talking a known quantity is gold verses some unknown heap of crap. Buy a pushy to ride as well - if you don’t already. Good luck with it, weve all been faced with decisions like yours.

mikehzz

I had a 90's Grand Vitara that was a 4 cylinder manual. To be honest, it was a bit gutless and didn't have any traction aids so compared to modern 4wd's not as handy. The 4 cylinger was great on fuel though and an honest car.

discomatt

If the courier is reliable then pay the fuel tax mate. Get rid if the big tyres and go back to factory rubber, not LT and you’ll pick up a litre or more per hundred. Get it serviced and change the filters (air?). Keep it empty and drive like a granny - god knows you’ll have to in a Suzuki, without having the option of pedalling it once in a while. Fuel is literally the cheapest part of owning a car and at the money you are talking a known quantity is gold verses some unknown heap of crap. Buy a pushy to ride as well - if you don’t already. Good luck with it, weve all been faced with decisions like yours.
He has stated he has had nothing but trouble...
He says he wants to go bush so tires advice is NQR...
Sorry other than that I can not give much advice having never owned either other than not surprised the Courier has given trouble, they are a POS and I know one guy with a Suzi and it went everywhere but it was twin locked big wheels reduction gears and he spent heaps on it and drove it like he stole it, also to small for getting much camping gear in, even more so if you take out anyone with you

discomatt

Another thought, if your a Uni student with no $$ 4wding might be out of the question for a few years, they are more expensive to run and maintain than a normal car and double that if you start using it as a 4wd on a regular basis

Colly18

Another thought, if your a Uni student with no $$ 4wding might be out of the question for a few years, they are more expensive to run and maintain than a normal car and double that if you start using it as a 4wd on a regular basis
X2
If the Courier is costing you too much think about swapping it for a 2WD diesel dual cab. You'll still be able to get to most places and escape the city and it should be cheap as chips to run. Example
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Toyota-Hilux-2002/SSE-AD-5914813/?Cr=7
Alternatively, if you have fixed all the bugs in the Courier, then swap the tyres/wheels back to standard A/T's and as has been said, "drive it like a Granny!"

80lover96gxl

We run a few couriers as work utes at work. While most of them have been trouble free they are thirsty being petrol models with some with over 300k on the clock. We're looking at up grading to diesel utes this year.

Can't really comment on the zukes other than some old fishing buddies had a 2 stroke model yrs ago that was practically unstoppable on the sand, was a great little bus and I loved the old dinga ding ding ding sound they use to make.

Lawson.Harper

Thanks guys for all your advice!! The courier is a good bus but the lowest I can get it for fuel consumption is about 12 litres per 100km. I keep having problems with the fuel mangement system as it has a mind of its own. It has been into the mechanics 4 times in 5 months, a new problem always arises, it has 300,000 on the odo. I’ve been recommended by the mechanic and others to get rid of it while I still can. The vitara is attractive to me as it’s small and cheap to run, the lack of space isn’t the end of the world. And over time I’ll be able to spend small amounts of money upgrading it, I have a few mates in the fourby industry. The Suzi is just so basic and I guess that’s why it’s attractive. The courier has a brand new clutch in it but still having issues changing gears (synchros have been looked at as well). All your advice is super appreciated! Thank you again!!

Oh and by the way I do drive it like a granny, before when I first started driving it I was getting 20L per 100, it has improved very much but it’s a very unreliable vehicle.

Marck

I have a 2006 grand vitara and I dream of 12 litre fuel consumption on a good day with no headwind I get 15’s when I am loaded up and heavy I can see 17 on the sand if it’s soft 20-30l . When it was stock as a rock it was 13-15 on the highway. I think the 2.4 l gets arround 12’s. But don’t buy a 2.4 manufactured before 2010 they have a problem with splitting blocks and head issues. The diesels have DPF issues and require a timing belt every 75k.

The other thing is Suzuki parts are not cheep. Well not in QLD. The pair of belt tensioners used in the 2.7 v6 cost about $500 from Suzuki. A geunine oil filter is $38

But if you avoid the early 2.4 and the diesel they are fairly reliable.

Your other option is just keep the current bus and buy a $2k Corolla for a daily driver and just use the courier for the weekends away. That way if you break it you don’t have to pay top dollar to have it fixed straight away.

M

Rags90mod

Welcome to the forum mate

I can see why you'd want a zook, my old man had a cpl of Sierras as shooting busses when we'd go on our July school holiday hunting trips and they were bloody awesome! Are you handy enough to spin the spanners doing a few ththings yourself? That way if you do go the Vitara you can at least save a few extra $$ doing oil changes, etc yourself which leaves more cash for filling up the 4by and the esky for camping trips