Change background image

Advice on solo trip - SA

Discussion in 'Tracks Discussion' started by Zamunda, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Zamunda

Zamunda Well-Known Member

Hi everyone

As some of you might know my wife and I are pretty new to Aus. We try to travel bush as often as we can. So every off-road trip we do is a new discovery for us. Since our Simpson crossing last year June we've done a few short trips (two to three days). We've got about 10 days to spare in May so looking to do a longer trip.

We are thinking of doing Adelaide - Coober Pedy - William Creek - Coward Springs - Roxby Downs - Woomera - Adelaide.

I
    was wondering if the gravel section Coober Pedy to Roxy is advisable for solo travel? I've gathered the roads are pretty well graded, but not sure if there is enough occasional traffic should there be a breakdown.

We will be travelling solo in our 1997 80 Series. It's a petrol motor. We will be carrying 80l in jerry cans. So fuel range should not be a problem. Have the usual recovery gear (winch, sand tracks, snatch & two straps, shovel, hi lift, etc).

Thanks in advance for your replies. Any advice (even points of interest along the way) is much appreciated.

Cheers

80lover96gxl likes this.
  2. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

You'll be fine unless it rains. Then everyone has trouble. :)

PS I spent a lovely night at Halligan Bay on Lake Eyre last year, the lake had water in it.

Jaye and Zamunda like this.
  3. Zamunda

I've heard the stretch from William Creek to Halligan Bay is quite sandy. how did you find it? I don't have diff locks, is this a problem?
    We are pretty excited too about this trip. Nothing like the bush and meeting the locals and fellow travellers.

4. mikehzz

I don't think it's particularly sandy, just a single lane dirt/gravel track. Tyre pressures are far more important than diff locks on sand. In fact, for outback travel I reckon tyre pressures are everything. I heard an interesting tale today by a 4wd tour company. They were hired to oversee the Audi Q7 launch in Australia which involved a journey from Sydney to Broome by a fleet of Audis. They were driven by journos and were told what tyre pressures to run as the conditions changed. They shredded 16 tyres on the trip. The next year, Audi didn't bother hiring the tour company and went hell for leather on the same trip....they shredded 64 tyres. I swear by the late Adam Plate from the Oodnadatta Pink Roadhouse's tyre pressure pamphlet.

akin, Airstrike and Zamunda like this.
  5. Zamunda

Can't agree more. We had an old 2.2l petrol Hilux twin cab ute back in Africa. Think we pretty much went over GVM with everything we carried. No diff locks. Not even an LSD. The puny motor was underpowered. Yet never had a problem over the 300,00 odd km we did in it. Still, miss that truck.

6. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Like Mike said you will be fine as long as it doesn’t rain
    We travel those areas confidently on our own. We do carry a sat phone and supplies if needed though

Mr Rum, mikehzz and Zamunda like this.
  7. Zamunda

Do you hire your sat phone?
    Any places in Adelaide you recommend for hiring?

Albynsw likes this.
  8. Albynsw

I bought mine, I can’t help you with where to hire but there would be plenty of options if you do a search. Have a think about how much travelling you think you will be doing in the future, you might be better off buying one ?

Mr Rum, Swaggie and Zamunda like this.
  9. Zamunda

Yes that makes sense. I should look into investing in a SAT Phone.

Albynsw likes this.
  10. mikehzz

I've got an Isatphone Pro and just charge it with a months credit for the trip. Im not happy with the actual phone, Im thinking of ditching it for a sat sleeve style device that lets you call using an app on my mobile...but thats a future thread. :)

Zamunda likes this.
  11. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

I wouldnt go sat sleeve unless you have more backup options, iv heard of people having bluetooth issues etc which is not what you want when you want a working sat phone. Basic sat phone like the Isatphone or an iridum 9555 etc are great with not much to go wrong IMO

Mr Rum, Zamunda, mikehzz and 3 others like this.
  12. richardlnsw

richardlnsw Moderator

As already mentioned, rain is the only thing to worry about out there. Reduce your tyre pressure and speed accordingly and you'll be fine. Plenty of nomads with vans where you are heading!!

Zamunda likes this.
  13. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

If time permits from William creek a run down to Maree then down to Farina to check out the old ruins, and cemetary would be well worth the effort.
    You could then do the Mulgaria track over the top of lake Torrens, thru the Sturt opal digs then back across to Andamooka and then onto Roxby downs. You would require an extra couple of days, and a bit of extra fuel but the Mulgaria track would make it all worth while.
    Just a bit of food for thought.

14. Zamunda

That sounds awesome. But extra days we don't have, unfortunately. But will certainly add it to our (ever-growing list) of places to tour :)

richardlnsw likes this.
  15. Albynsw

Brian's suggestion is a worthwhile consideration, the blacktop from Adelaide to Coober Pedy is not that special. Perhaps you could consider coming up through Leigh Creek -William Creek-Coober Pedy to see more of the area

80lover96gxl and Zamunda like this.
  16. Zamunda

@Albynsw @80lover96gxl

Another question :)

Trying to make up my mind on whether to spend two days at Coward Springs or one day at Coward Springs and one day by Lake Eyre (heading towards Bopeechee).

(1) Any suggest camping places on Lake Eyre South along Oodnadatta track?

(2) Is bush camping allowed along the Oodnadatta track between Jacob Well and Fred Springs?

17. Albynsw

There is a good privately owned campsite at Mularina just north of Marree and you can further venture into the lake from there. There are countless places to stop/ camp along the strip and I suggest you do not make firm plans apart from see what takes your fancy and whether you are in the mood to push on exploring or ready to make camp for the night. Coward springs has an amenities block and is very well run by it’s owner but other places along the strip are bushcamping .It really depends on what takes your fancy
    Have a look at the Bubbler just south of there as well, it is only a few k’s off the road and worth seeing.

Zamunda and mikehzz like this.
  18. mikehzz

Two days at Coward Springs would be too much for me, Farina is far nicer with more to see and do. If you want to camp by Lake Eyre then Halligan Bay is about your only option, it's 60 odd kms off the track and the Lake is a 50 metre walk from your tent. Muloorina campsite is 70 odd kms off the track with a further 20 something kms to the Lake on a horrible corrugated road from memory. You can't camp at the actual lake there but Muloorina is nice enough.

Albynsw likes this.
  19. Zamunda

@Albynsw @mikehzz Thanks for those tips. Appreciate it. Since this is the first time for us (I've been to Coober Pedy during mr Simpson trip) we are pretty excited.

Visited the Coward Spring website. Seems it is up for sale. If only I had some spare cash. Would love to live out there.

Albynsw likes this.
  20. richardlnsw

richardlnsw Moderator

Just up the road from Coward Springs (about 20k's) is the old Beresford Railway Station..... really worth the look.