Advice on Mt Ive / Gawler Ranges

Zamunda

Hi everyone

We have about ten days available in May so thinking of going over to Mt Ive station and Lake Gairdner. Those who have been there before, any recommendations of places/tracks we should try? I've heard of a public camp site on the edge of Lake Gairdner. Anyone camped here?

Since we have a fair number of days are there any other places in the area worth exploring?

Another plan is to spend five days in the Gawler Ranges area and then for the next five days over to Ceduna. Any recommendation in the Ceduna area?

Thanks in advance.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
@barcher @smitty_r51
Would you recommend the Googs solo? It will be just the two of us this time.
Hard to say, if you're set up to be reliant on such remote trips (you might see no one) you could be ok.
Murphy is always about though.

I did a torsion bar mount on a run up Googs Tk, but had a spare and fixed within 45 mins, had a hand from others in group (2 other vehicles).
If solo could have done it, but always nice to have back up.

Also had a big red kangaroo ram my LH front door as I was trundling up along the track doing 25km/hr, 2nd hand door shell was needed !!

Have a sat phone and a plan for assistance if things go bad ? I'd do it then, but using that as a last resort.

It's darn fun though, could do it as loop back and after the Indian Pac run back to the Stuart do a loop home (to Adelaide ?)

From Ceduna, I'd allow 3 days min (Googs Lake, Mt Finke camps) and even another spare day to explore tracks out and around Googs Lake.
Exploring more around Tarcoola and Kingoonya would also be worthwhile I feel.

You could do this and loop down from Kingoonya through the lakes to Mt Ive / Gawler Ranges, dry weather permitting.

Baggs71

As far as i know..both times ive been to gairdner and ives etc..you cant camp on lake edge....if the salt lake racers are present you can if you are self reliant (shitter)...camp very near to lake while races are on...if no races are on camping is done at mt ives....brilliant spot!

Enjoy...call ahead to all pubs and stations to ask questions and get the info you need up to date from tye hirses mouth!

Enjoy

Grinbot

I took the family to Mt Ive Station and Gawler Ranges last winter.

We stayed at Mt Ive Station for a couple of nights and did a day trip out to Lake Gairdner and that was definitely worth it. It had water while we were there and it was interesting to see the crystal clear water on top of a dead flat salt crust. You need to pay and get a key to access Lake Gairdner. There are few interesting things to check out on the way to the lake - "The Embankment", a dam built in 1892 is worth a look. Didn't end up doing any of the 4WD tracks - didn't have time. As far as I know there is no camping on Lake Gairdner (except when they are doing racing as noted by Braggs71 above).

At the Gawler Ranges, the Mattera campground was our favourite camp site. Most of the "4WD tracks" in the park are just dirt roads but the sandy Sturts Track probably qualifies as an actual 4WD track - nothing hard though. The "LP track" across the north of the park is a nice drive. The kids loved the restored Shearing shed at the Park office where you can walk in and look around. Old Paney homestead is interesting too - you can look around inside. The "Organ pipes" rock formation is worth a look too.

Zamunda

As far as i know..both times ive been to gairdner and ives etc..you cant camp on lake edge....if the salt lake racers are present you can if you are self reliant (shitter)...camp very near to lake while races are on...if no races are on camping is done at mt ives....brilliant spot!

Enjoy...call ahead to all pubs and stations to ask questions and get the info you need up to date from tye hirses mouth!

Enjoy
Thanks mate.

Zamunda

I took the family to Mt Ive Station and Gawler Ranges last winter.

We stayed at Mt Ive Station for a couple of nights and did a day trip out to Lake Gairdner and that was definitely worth it. It had water while we were there and it was interesting to see the crystal clear water on top of a dead flat salt crust. You need to pay and get a key to access Lake Gairdner. There are few interesting things to check out on the way to the lake - "The Embankment", a dam built in 1892 is worth a look. Didn't end up doing any of the 4WD tracks - didn't have time. As far as I know there is no camping on Lake Gairdner (except when they are doing racing as noted by Braggs71 above).
Thanks Mate. Can we pay for the key at Mt Ive station?

Grinbot

Cool, I didn't realise there was camping there. I'll add that to the list, thanks.

I see it is listed on the Parks SA site:

Zamunda

You can free camp at Waltumba Tank campground by the lake....and climb to the hill out the back for awesome views.
Mate!! Those pictures got me all excited. That is an AWESOME sight!! I am trying to get there on a full moon day. It must be quite a sight when the moon light reflects off the surface. Hoping this idea works out.