ADR approved aftermarket bull bar...

Dead_Man

Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone can give me a feedback about aftermarket unbranded (uncommon brands) bull bars whick is ADR approved.

I am searching a bull bar for 120 prado. When IronMan costs $1800 there is ADR approved bull bars on ebay for around $850. Going budget is good idea for bull bar? Any feedback from someone actually bought aftermarket unbranded bullbar?

CaptainBanana

Your question is a little bit confusing but the cheapest apparently ADR compliant Bullbars I know of are the Xrox. Apparently due to insufficient coverage of the tires when viewed from front-on I have heard these are not compliant either - I don't know what to tell you, I run one and no one's ever asked me anything about it. They're the cheapest and possibly lightest aussie made bars but tube bars don't suit all cars.

I had an Ironman on the Triton a couple years back, it was fine, a little welding splatter on it, all the mounting bolts presumably Chinese rated as high tensile stripped out with spanners (not breaker bars or rattle guns) and were replaced during install, powder coat dulled within the year I owned it. Being only an OK product I'd not want to pay $1800 for one.

Like most things in life you get what you pay for and me personally I wouldn't be paying $800 for a bullbar there has to be some cost-saving somewhere especially when you consider it needs to be shipped from China as well.

Last edited:

Triton14

Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone can give me a feedback about aftermarket unbranded (uncommon brands) bull bars whick is ADR approved.

I am searching a bull bar for 120 prado. When IronMan costs $1800 there is ADR approved bull bars on ebay for around $850. Going budget is good idea for bull bar? Any feedback from someone actually bought aftermarket unbranded bullbar?

They can claim anything on Ebay, end of story it will be the end user trying to prove it in a court of law.

Just make sure you pay by palpal :p

Edit: ask the ebay seller to provide ADR certificates!!

Triton14

Many bars from multiple retailers are geneic bars from China.

As long as they are ADR approved & certified then go for it.

Dead_Man

They can claim anything on Ebay, end of story it will be the end user trying to prove it in a court of law.

Just make sure you pay by palpal :p

Edit: ask the ebay seller to provide ADR certificates!!

I will ask for the certificate before i make a decision. Thanks for the tip.

And of cause paypal... just to be safe.

synchro

A certified bar will have a plate/sticker on it advising it is certified and for what vehicle it is certified for.

It will look something like this.
Bull Bar Certification.jpg

red hilux

Why are you changing?

Does your 120 have the Ali bull bar now?

If your wanting a winch. You can buy a winch cradle to fit the factory bar

CaptainBanana

Also something just came to mind I think you'll find pretty much none of these bull bars are ADR certified they are actually supposed to be ADR compliant e which is a different thing entirely.

Albynsw

Just had a look at the listing and they have bricks and mortar stores so you have some consumer protection available rather than just a shipment from China
I wouldn’t expect the bar to offer much protection from animal strikes as I suspect it to be much lighter construction than say an ARB equivalent
My sons mate just bought a late model Hilux from a dealer that had been tricked up with bar lights and wheels and the bar looked very similar to this one and was pretty lightweight
He has just replaced it with a five poster as he is moving to outback QLD and doesn’t think it was up to the job.

It may suit your needs just fine though??

Dead_Man

Why are you changing?

Does your 120 have the Ali bull bar now?

If your wanting a winch. You can buy a winch cradle to fit the factory bar

Nope I got good old factory body colour bumper ;)... I thought to upgrade it to a bull bar and while shopping I saw Ebay items which was pretty cheaper than branded. hence why the question.

Dead_Man

After seeing other guy's (Triton14's) post. I thought if I putting a bull bar for safety why not put a good one even though its expensive it might save my engine if I collided with a roo.

I think I will go with Ironman.... Trusting Aussie made...

Dead_Man

Just had a look at the listing and they have bricks and mortar stores so you have some consumer protection available rather than just a shipment from China
I wouldn’t expect the bar to offer much protection from animal strikes as I suspect it to be much lighter construction than say an ARB equivalent
My sons mate just bought a late model Hilux from a dealer that had been tricked up with bar lights and wheels and the bar looked very similar to this one and was pretty lightweight
He has just replaced it with a five poster as he is moving to outback QLD and doesn’t think it was up to the job.

It may suit your needs just fine though??

Thanks for the consideration but I dont think Hilux would fit Prado 120. especially new Hilux. Otherwise I would consider.

Code4

Might be Aussie designed, but pretty sure they aren't made here. Then again, TJM also come in by the container full.

They are 'Designed, engineered and tested in Australia' no mention of made here. I have ordered a Commercial version for my Colorado and it is 'still on the boat'. A search says Ironman have warehouses in Thailand. My guess is China - Thailand - Country of purchase.