Change background image

Adelaide to Emerald (QLD) route advice

Discussion in 'Trips' started by Gidgee, May 27, 2018.

1. Gidgee

Gidgee New Member

I need to drive to Emerald in July and looking for ideas on what to see on the way. I plan to take around 5-6 nights to get there and going via Broken Hill, I think, e.g possible route;
    https://goo.gl/maps/QUwxZuDjnMm
    Will be going solo and don't consider the Birdsville track a good idea this trip for time and prep reasons.
    All suggestions are welcome.

2. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

Les PK Ranger likes this.
  3. Steve Burston

Steve Burston New Member

Hi. I’ve just gone through that way. If you get a chance and have a few days spare have a look at the Canarvon Gorge
    National park. I stayed at Takarakka resort/ camping park I mentioned that so you would know what part of the park I’m talking about. It has various length trails to different gorges with lots of wildlife just roaming around. Great spot.

typhoeus, Mr Rum and Gidgee like this.
  4. Gidgee

Gidgee New Member

How long should Broken Hill to Tilpa really take? Google maps says 6 hours, with 4 hrs Wilcannia to Tilpa which seems kinda long...

5. Gidgee

Gidgee New Member

New possible route : https://goo.gl/maps/rYgYEnE2bpv
    questions;
    The Darling River road, what is the realistic time to do Wilcannia to Bourke, assuming dry road? (we plan to O/N at Tilpa)
    Google says we can go through Gowrie Station from Charleville to Augathella, is that true?
    Google also thinks Augathella then going through the middle of Carnavon National Park to Springsure is possible. True? And a total time of 13 hours, is that realistic? Google's route is probably not the best one of course, so would like suggestions.

6. typhoeus

typhoeus Well-Known Member

35 + years ago. I was on a round Aus working holiday and we went up thru Carnarvon gorge, and there was an old bloke called …………."Carnarvon George" who lived in a makeshift camp just outside the nat park. He had horses which just wandered around his tent, no power, which was a big tarp large enough for him and the horses and more. He had the Qld govt figured out. He built an old. . . car chassis and engine with a wagon ( as in horse drawn) body on it with seating etc, and with draw bar for the horses to pull it. the engine ran, and the steering was hooked up to this drawbar, so the vehicle did not have to be registered ( he hated the govt) as it was a "power assisted horse drawn wagon" . He took people on night tours of places where nocturnal wildlife hung out for $2 a pop. He was a real character and I often wonder what happened to him