• New Server!

Update: 9:50AM Thursday - the server move has been completed and we're up and running on our new faster infrastructure. Have a look around and let us know if you encounter any issues.

The 4x4 Earth Team

Adelaide: Looking for some mud, summer only tracks to hit up anyone know of any?...

tuffcolorado

Wanting to hit some mud tomorrow anyone know of tracks around adelaide (summer only tracks) muddy roads hill climbs. Can anyone tell me what they hit up on the weekends. Nothing is too small

tuffcolorado

Ive snuck in to them quarrys near the sothern expressway there are hours of tracks in there some pritty extreme stuff aswell. Anyone else been in there? ...

Adelaide jay

Morgan quarry is a ball. You need to be a member of a club outing to get access these days, but it's expansive and a big old clay bowl, so you'll have plenty of fun after all the rain we've had of late.

80lover96gxl

Yeah the quarry at lonsdale use to be epic but get caught in there these days and risk having your vehicle impounded under hoon laws, not worth the head f@#k now unfortunately.

Whiteant

Hi all
I'm moving back to sa to live around Christmas after a few years in wa, have been spoiled for good hard tracks over here. Seems SA is a bit restricted, do any clubs have access to good tracks. Do you have to pay to access anything good?

Adelaide jay

Towards the vic border (2 hours from Adelaide) theres three or four privately owned areas that offer great camping and a mix of tracks. Not expensive to access and offer great facilities. You will find the toughest sand hills in the country in a couple of them. I'm talking impossibly hard in some spots. The robe to beach port run has some of the best sand driving you'll find. Being fromWA, you'd be no stranger to long haul drives, so don't forget that you've got the amazing Flinders6 hours away and the Vic high country 10 hours away. In short you've got a abundance of options.

tuffcolorado

There's also couple 4wd parks. Saunders gorge, love day 4x4 park, Jakem farm. All about 2 hours from ADL and around 30$ for a day I think.

80lover96gxl

Jakom is only 40 mins from Adelaide at callington which is a good local place to vist.

Loveday is 3hrs away and $60 for the day.

3 of the better places to visit are
Bendleby Ranges 50k's east of Orroroo.

Willangi 8k's nth of Peterborough

Hopes gulley 15mins east of Terowie.

All have good camping , the toughest tracks would be bendelby
(awesome)
Then hopes with there rocky creekbeds and willangi a close 3rd.

Last edited:

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Wanting to hit some mud tomorrow anyone know of tracks around adelaide (summer only tracks) muddy roads hill climbs. Can anyone tell me what they hit up on the weekends. Nothing is too small
Mate, I think people here are steering you towards the local 4WD properties for tracks for when the weathers wet, and not attacking your post because no one wants to put you off the site being a newbie.
So, look at the info below as constructive eductation . . .

Using summer only / dry weather only tracks is a bloody terrible thing to do when they're wet, and it gives all 4WDrs a bad name when tracks are screwed up by mis use.
Members of this site have 'discussed' these sort of posts with new people in the past, and any decent 4WD club wouldn't consider going down these roads when wet.

Local property owners often have to use these tracks to get access, for many these are their extended driveways.
Also if dry weather tracks get rutted by 4WDrs having 'fun' on them, they can stay wet longer, and get undrivable from the damage.
Emergency / service vehicles might then have issues getting in, perhaps for emergency access to some poor ******* having a heart attack or something.

Towards the vic border (2 hours from Adelaide) theres three or four privately owned areas that offer great camping and a mix of tracks. Not expensive to access and offer great facilities. You will find the toughest sand hills in the country in a couple of them.
You're talking Bushys and Dorado Downs perhaps Jay ?
Both fairly close together, access to Bushys east of Coonalpyn, Dorado is south of Geranium.

As mentioned, Jakem Farm, Saunders Gorge, Lovedays are nearby properties in the hills / Murray Bridge.
The Gloowa Beach / Murray mouth is there, Border Tk / Ngarkat is a great run, as too many tracks in Big Desert State Forest, Murray Sunset Nat Park, Big Desert Wilderness Park, Wyperfeld NP, Coorong, and the beaches SE of there accessible most of the way through Kingston, Cape Jaffa, Boatswains Pt, Robe - Beachport, Canunda and beyond.

Just try and not go mudding on these other local tracks, and we'll perhaps have them for a little run when they're dry.

80lover96gxl

I wouldn't be advising anyone to hit the SE beaches at the moment, most of em are washed away according to very recent reports.

80lover96gxl

Yes, just for general information :)
Amazing how well they recover after Winters done.
Yeah absolutely, only takes 2 months tops.

Think thats why private parks are better this time of yr unless heading to sandy areas that can handle the wet.

Great advise re dry weather rds tho mate, can't believe he asked the question to be honest, atleast he's been edumacated now tho.

Last edited:

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Yeah cheers mate, don't want to scare anyone away from the site and the great local group we have going here in SA.
But until someone that knows no better is told the reasons, well it won't help rectify the issue.

Hopefully some of the new forumites in SA will get along to a trip or two soon.
I'd like to arrange something to Dorado some time for a look in there.

Last edited:

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
You'd think anyone with a commercial property for 4WDn would have just a simple website for people to find them ??
Searching Dorado Downs, with / without Geranium SA, yields some results, but nothing from the owners, and no contact details to be found.

I think I found it via a post by Rick (Chard) on 4WDA forum ages ago, the owners name was there, so that brought up a W (Bill) Small at Geranium on White Pages ok.
For the record the (unconfirmed as yet) number is 8577 2228 . . . as mentioned, Bill Small.

Will try that and get some info on going up for a weekender.
Maybe mid September, as that is pretty clear of other trips by the looks.

Jay, do you have a roster yet for 13/14, or 20/21 Sept ?
The previous Fri arvo departure would likely be an alternative for those that can get away, so check that too.

tuffcolorado, would like to see you join in too mate, how are you looking for such a trip ?

mac_man_luke

Big Desert would be good :)

Another option could be Bushies, iv not managed to get there yet ;)

Last edited:

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
whats BD?

Another option could be Bushies, iv not managed to get there yet ;)
Reckon that's Big Desert State Forest, which would be good, and free camping, just a bit further.

Yeah, we could slot in a Bushys run sometime, be another good weekender.

That would make for 3 excellent sand driving weekends we can slot in somewhere in the monthly gaps.