ACT Earthling Spring 2013 Meetup EOI

twisty

Cancelled because it's gunna rain! Just can't win sometimes.

see my post here

G'day you mob,

How about a meetup? 10 November is good for me (is this a long weekend?).

Same as the other trips. 9am meet at Condor Hut. Travel via Picadilly Circus and Gentle Annie to Flea Creek . Then via Webbs Ridge to McIntyres Hut and return via Dingi Ridge and Blue Range Rd back to East West rd and the tar. Air up and go home. Easy/medium. Steep ascents and decents, rocky, hairpins. 60km total (40 km L1/2). 6 hours. Make sure you have basic recovery gear, UHF radio, good tyres, and a full tank of fuel.

Dave, will you be off your meds by then? How about it?

Brave souls heading out for adventure ...

twisty
Adricat
plaven

Last edited:

plaven

Sounds good to me.

Will qualify for membership this week.

Don't have a uhf radio though.... is it mandatory?

twisty

Don't have a uhf radio though.... is it mandatory?

G'day plaven. It's not mandatory, but neither is a first aid kit.

It's basic equipment, like recovery gear, water and a spare tyre. If you don't have a radio you won't hear convoy calls about turns, obstacles, stops and oncoming vehicles. On some of the tracks we'll drive there is little room for passing and finding a safe spot early reduces risk. If you get stuck then you have no way of communicating with others before, during or after recovery (shouting has limited range). You'll also miss out on the convoy banter (the second most fun thing to do with a UHF).

Consider a UHF safety equipment.

stuartiross

Twisty, sounds like a plan will be doing a similar thing with a bunch of us on the weekend of the 26th October camping down at McIntyres or Lowell's for the night. Will see how we go after that but put me down as a definite maybe. Now that's commitment!

MK_Duncan

I would say count me in and i will become an Earthling however as the 10th is my 21st i cant see myself being in any condition to drive so for my safety and you guys safety ill give it a miss :) maybe the next one

plaven

G'day plaven. It's not mandatory, but neither is a first aid kit.

Consider a UHF safety equipment.

Fair point twisty. I'm slowly building up the equipment to go with the truck. I'll see how it goes between now and then with regard to having one installed. If not, I'll skip this one and wait for the next trip.

EDIT: Problem solved. CB purchased and installed.

Peter.

Last edited:

twisty

Fair point twisty. I'm slowly building up the equipment to go with the truck. I'll see how it goes between now and then with regard to having one installed. If not, I'll skip this one and wait for the next trip.

Peter.

A 2 watt hand held would do ...

pajmick

count me as a maybe also if anyone needs a uhf bigw tuggeranong has a duell pack of oricom hand helds for $38 there ok for close range

twisty

Thanks mick,

I suspect other earthlings will decide closer to the event as well. I put it up early to give people planning time.

Dave40runner

Put me down for this Dave! I'm coming!

Sent from earthling #3 on my viperom powered HTC One using the send button on your mum's Tapatalk 4

Dave40runner

I reckon it is too! Have you missed me?

Sent from earthling #3 on my viperom powered HTC One using the send button on your mum's Tapatalk 4