Absolutely ridiculous advertising sizes... again.

Warby

I actually think the current model is OK (albeit I really don't see the current incentive to become a paid member, so I do think your suggestion to make more of the site exclusive makes sense) - It's just the implementation that is letting it down.

discomatt

I joined Earth years ago, I have learnt heaps, been on numerous trips, met heaps of great people some of whom have become life long friends.
nothing is for nothing and I no longer expect James to be out of pocket year after year so I pay a measly 20 and buy a stubby holder and t shirt at each gathering.
If you can afford the hobby of 4wding you can afford to support the forum and have no adds.
keep Up the good work administration and free loaders can pay up or look at adds

Last edited:

Warby

I joined Earth years ago, I have learnt heaps, been on numerous trips, met heaps of great people some of whom have become life long friends.
nothing is for nothing and I never longer expect James to be out of pocket year after year so I pay a measly 20 and buy a stubby holder and t shirt at each gathering.
If you can afford the hobby of 4wding you can afford to support the forum and have no adds.
keep Up the good work administration and free loaders can pay up or look at adds

Again... I have no issue looking at ads. I think that it is perfectly reasonable to be served ads - those ads shouldn't ruin the user experience though.

Patriot

Administrator
In my humble opinion, the ads need to be a little annoying, otherwise there is little value for paid members. Having said that, if there is something that we can do for paid members to increase the value of the membership, happy to look at that as well. The ads though, are by far the bigger revenue generator compared to memberships.

Warby

I agree that they do need to be a little annoying - If we don't see them, they're pointless. They still shouldn't mess with the formatting or layout of the website though and degrade the user experience.

If a person's first experience on the website were what I posted a screenshot of at the start of this thread, how long do you think they would have lasted before going "screw this" and heading elsewhere?

Patriot

Administrator
So traffic is increasing. Google is a really harsh task master when it comes to user experience, and those sites that don't deliver a good response generally have their rankings decrease. We have seen more Google traffic over the last few years, which is a lot better than many forums. Back when we started, we were one of many 4 wheel drive forums. Now there are a lot less.

Albynsw

I am a paid up member so it is not an issue but agree that the current ad format is the worst I have seen on any forum I visit ( I don’t pay to be on any other forum but this one)
If I couldn’t of removed the ads by membership payment I would not use the forum in its current format

Patriot

Administrator
There has been a change in the last couple of days, because I've seen a couple of ad formats that I haven't seen before, this is the pain of using google ads, so the team will have a look at it. Having said that, the mobile experience is still pretty good. We fixed a minor issue last week. We have a lot more mobile users than desktop.
James
And thanks for supporting Alby!

Warby

There has been a change in the last couple of days, because I've seen a couple of ad formats that I haven't seen before, this is the pain of using google ads, so the team will have a look at it. Having said that, the mobile experience is still pretty good. We fixed a minor issue last week. We have a lot more mobile users than desktop.
James
And thanks for supporting Alby!

Agreed that the mobile format is good. No issues there. Just fix your damned desktop experience :p

(side note - it seems fine today... I'm not sure if you've changed it, but the ads now are being presented as a full width banner between the grey header with the primary header menu and the secondary header menu - much better!)

barcher

I am a paid up member so it is not an issue but agree that the current ad format is the worst I have seen on any forum I visit ( I don’t pay to be on any other forum but this one)
If I couldn’t of removed the ads by membership payment I would not use the forum in its current format
Really was a tipping point for me, why would you put up with what was more ads than forum.
I paid the membership.
Like @Warby keeps banging on about, keep the ads, but don't make the forum a miserable experience.

peterfermtech

@Patriot The reason I've been putting up with the adds is I'm sure you make more money that way than the subscription. I can't think of any subscription only sites that have really survived. People are accustomed to a "free internet".
However the big issue is the adds are really killing your performance score with loading times way too long and the number of adds is pissing your visitors off. Shops don't survive when it's too hard for customers to find what they are looking for and likewise for websites.

2002GU3

(side note - it seems fine today... I'm not sure if you've changed it, but the ads now are being presented as a full width banner between the grey header with the primary header menu and the secondary header menu - much better!)
[/QUOTE]
I agree, mine is much better today also...........hopefully it stays like this !

Patriot

Administrator
I am not sure what has changed, as it is auto managed by Google. Flip side is that revenue was done 50% on the last 2 days, so the guys are looking at what has happened, but to fix the revenue. :) We are looking for the big killers. The speed issues aren't pegged by Google if they are caused by ads, that would be counter intuitive for Google. I am sure we can strike a happyish medium. :)

boobook

This may sound like a strange request James, but as someone who subscribes, I wouldn't mind an option of turning ads on or off. There may be relevant ads that I am interested in, and that could further support Earth.

Provided the size issue is fixed of course.

Albynsw

This may sound like a strange request James, but as someone who subscribes, I wouldn't mind an option of turning ads on or off. There may be relevant ads that I am interested in, and that could further support Earth.

Provided the size issue is fixed of course.

lost the contract details for the penis enlargement pills site?

4x4_Mate

I've worked in the Ad Industry for over 10 years now and worked closely to some of the top Product and Sales people in Oz.
I suggest to look up IAB Standard Ad sizes and add in some exclusions in your Google setting to not include interstitials/take overs. Get rid of the auto ads. They are no good. Get someone that is tech savvy to implement the ads in relevant positions that won't piss off your users.

I have offered my assistance before but haven't heard back. This site is so bad. I am willing to help out for free to help out fellow 4wd'ers not be pissed off and angry. The only thing I ask in return is look after our land/bush, Clean up your god damn rubbish and leave it as like no one was there.

I can see you're using a Billboard size (970x250), but 3 stacked on top of each other is bad for the user experience. Doesn't take an expert to tell you that. Even though the below screen shot is at the bottom of the screen it also happens in the header as well driving the user to scroll so far just to get to the content.
1607485690443.png

Also seen interstitials which overlay as full screen also bad for the user experience.

Some helpful tips/recommendations for Desktop Only. (I don't really use the Mobile version much, but from what I can see from the comments, not a huge issue there)

- Change the width of the main content area and introduce a side nave bar. Traditionally done on the right side. You can add a multi ad size there that has an opportunity to serve 300x250 or 300x600 or 160x600 (that is OR not AND) don't serve all of them at once unless you have content to match the height. The biggest demand from clients will be 300x250 but demand partners will pay more for the 300x600.
- Make your logo smaller (doesn't need to be that big) and then you can add a leaderboard ad (728x90) in the header.
- The size of the header is a decent size. I know clients want view-ability these day and willing to pay more for a bigger in-view rate and this will increase the floor rates of your ads.
You can even make the header stick to the top. But please don't do this if you're going have the header larger than 100 px high.
- With the ads on the side nav. You can make them stick to the top of the page even if user scroll. Don't do this if you make the header stick. One or the other play with which one works for your site. The ad will still be in view and not impeding on the user experience. If it's there and relevant people will click on them.
- You can even add Leaderboards (728x90) ads on between comments in the forum. This is quite standard on forum sites. Not Billboard (970x250) sizes. Not every comment. Space it out. 1 ad every 7-8 posts.
- If the user is on a smaller screen size, then it will remove the side bar and the ad in between user's posts will still be making you rev $$$

Also for the ones that say ads need to piss of users to gain membership. Not very scalable model. Give the users a better reason to join as a member. Exclusive offers, or VIP access to certain things. Not just to remove annoying ads.

I understand there may be some dev work involved here, but shouldn't be too much. You will more back.
See rough mock of what I am rambling on about.

Hope it helps. v
1607487817678.png

Attachments

• 1607487025449.png
    1607487025449.png
    398.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Does anyone get this window ?

Earth.jpg

Probably comes up with the adblocker on, which I didn't put on my chrome browser, maybe my IT son did early on as a favour to me.

This window comes up spontaneously, sometimes it might be 20 seconds between them appearing, or other times up to a minute or so.
The window must be closed to do anything on the site.

It's definitely a turn off.

CTL

Does anyone get this window ?

View attachment 70288

Probably comes up with the adblocker on, which I didn't put on my chrome browser, maybe my IT son did early on as a favour to me.

This window comes up spontaneously, sometimes it might be 20 seconds between them appearing, or other times up to a minute or so.
The window must be closed to do anything on the site.

It's definitely a turn off.
All the time. Annoying.