ABS lights on and not turning off - troubleshoot

denk

Hi guys. Ive searched the forum and thought Id post my issue (latest issue!!). Was off-road last weekend doing some easy to easy/moderate tracks and I used my rear locker a few times and noticed late in the day after using it, my ABS lights are on and not turning off. Ive checked the ABS connections on all the wheels and appear fine. There was some slight debris/twigs near the sensor on the back of the brake rotor but there was not a lot at all and just brushed away.

Brakes feel fine when braking, fluid levels are ok. Brake lights functioning, fuses ok, trailer plug looks ok

Where else should I be looking?

ABS.JPG

Hoyks

Is it a factory diff lock, so wired into the traction control systems?
Is the locker turned off and disengaged? Try jacking up 1 back wheel, putting the transmission in Neutral and seeing if that wheel spins freely?
You tried turning the traction control off and on again?

denk

Is it a factory diff lock, so wired into the traction control systems?
Is the locker turned off and disengaged? Try jacking up 1 back wheel, putting the transmission in Neutral and seeing if that wheel spins freely?
You tried turning the traction control off and on again?
yeah mate factory diff lock. it is turned off and have tried the button. ill jack the car up tomorrow and see how that goes... haven't tried that yet.

CTL

If you had debris/twigs near the ABS sensor it may have been damaged. You said you checked the connections?

denk

If you had debris/twigs near the ABS sensor it may have been damaged. You said you checked the connections?
I was under there for a good 15 minutes having a look at all the connections etc and everything seems fine. I am confident the debris hasn't done any damage to the sensor but I have not pulled the wheel and brake rotor off yet for a proper inspection. I'm on Fraser from Friday and with work I think i will have to wait until I get back to get this properly sorted. Might have a spare opportunity this week to get back under and have another detailed look. Last time this happened it was related to tail lamp wiring frayed and burnt out near the exhaust tail pipe. Was fine until off-road and using the lockers last weekend..

Last edited:

denk

Im stiill getting the ABS lights on.... it was off immediately after i installed the new sensor. Now back on haha FML. I disconnected the battery overnight in hope of resetting the ECU and see how that goes today.

Jaye

Im stiill getting the ABS lights on.... it was off immediately after i installed the new sensor. Now back on haha FML. I disconnected the battery overnight in hope of resetting the ECU and see how that goes today.
Sometimes you need to drive it for a certain distance or speed and then it will clear automatically