ABC article about beach driving.

Patriot

Administrator
Here is a surprisingly balanced article about beach driving on the ABC.

One think that I think they miss is the economic impact on remote areas that beach driving brings. I would love to see some of Victoria's beaches opened up. The economic impact would be huge for regional towns that are struggling. You would see more visitors, more $$$ go through local businesses, more people buying houses in the area.

A place like Robe has seen a huge boom from 4WD tourism and I can't see why local councils and State Governments aren't bending over backwards to drive more beach tourism (and create a few more bush tracks while your are at it!)

boobook

LOL I saw that article too. Its title in the link is how to avoid getting bogged. But they changed the heading to

"Beach driving is booming as 4WD sales increase, but what's the environmental impact on our coastlines?"

It starts with some pro 4wder pieces then gets more and more anti 4wding on beaches as you read on.

I personally think that driving on beaches should be controlled more ( except in Vic LOL). You do see a lot of damage on beaches, but access is important for some locations.

Anyway, it's a bit sneaky how they are presenting it.

Patriot

Administrator
It was a bit sneaky, but I was surprised that it was somewhat even handed. I do worry about some of the 'research' that gets trotted out. I would love for someone to explain how driving on the beach causes damage. Up in the dunes amongst the flora and fauna, I definitely get that and we should be more careful there - but each tide the water comes in. The disturbance from the waves would shift a lot more sand than 100 4WDs going up and down the beach, I would have thought.

discomatt

I can’t see the wealthy, who are the ones new that own property on or near Victorian beaches being overly happy if the government allowed every person with a 4wd onto the heavies, just go out to any Victorian state park and it’s plan to see the attitude of many 4wders

discomatt

It was a bit sneaky, but I was surprised that it was somewhat even handed. I do worry about some of the 'research' that gets trotted out. I would love for someone to explain how driving on the beach causes damage. Up in the dunes amongst the flora and fauna, I definitely get that and we should be more careful there - but each tide the water comes in. The disturbance from the waves would shift a lot more sand than 100 4WDs going up and down the beach, I would have thought.
There are reports around that claim it has a massive impact on the little critters that live umber the sand in the tidal zone

cam04

Happy Easter. The weather is awful here. Don’t know what you’re talking about haha. We get plenty of worms and pippies still no probs.

Attachments

• IMG_6156.jpeg
    IMG_6156.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
I would agree with the majority of what is said.

I have personally witnessed down at Robe / Beachport where bollards and lines of black tubing had been put up in an effort to allow the dunes to rehabilitate but some smart ass's then drove over all of that. I have also seen young buffoons go ripping up the joint but then had a smile when the Rangers and Police turned up and proceeded to educate them by way of fines etc.

Goolwa, here in SA, is another area that is ripe for the closure picking, nearly every weekend there is a stream of people in all wheel drives and 2wds that get stuck on the ramp onto the beach - despite signs saying "4wd only past this point", there are also those that have too high tyre pressures or don't know how to use their 4wd thinking traction control is a fantastic magic carpet when it most definitely isn't - I have been blasted in the early years on here for that statement, but look at the advice these days and all the experienced 4wd'ers tell you to turn it off - the guy in this video said the same thing.

I have been behind many people who have their tyres at road pressures and watch them digging big holes in dunes in the Simpson, I have also been asked if they can borrow my air compressor :rolleyes:. Once you get in front of them the drive is so much better, there are also the ones who persist in driving on the salt pans, you can see the damage for years afterwards.

What does puzzle me is that going to the Geo Centres you could turn off at Camp 8 and take it nice and easy without damaging the environment, now since they have banned travel from Camp 8 everyone needs to drive over otherwise pristine dunes to get there, and there was me thinking the Indigenous looked after their lands.

I'm going to start hanging out on the beach waiting for those beers that the young uneducated ones are going to buy me :)

Cheers

discomatt

Some actual facts about the impact of beach driving

boobook

It's strange how SA and WA have bigger and more pippis after the 4wDs "kill" them. Victorian pippies are quite rare and a lot smaller.

Maybe Pippies love being driven over since no one is allowed to drive on the beach in Vic.

Komang

Stay on route that been a signed for us, no funny business because you think drive bigger and powerfull car and everything should be fine, I love beach driving and bogs few time too