Change background image

A new swag to keep my wife happy

Discussion in 'Tents' started by Zamunda, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Zamunda

Zamunda Well-Known Member

During our recent outback overlanding trip I discovered just how much my wife hated the swag I had bought. To be fair, she was not being fussy, the swag was a bit too small for the two of us, even though it was a two person swag. I guess all the twisting and turning I do in my sleep did not help either. So as soon as we got back from the trip, the first thing I did was to look for a new swag. But it had to meet certain requirements which were not as easy as I expected.

http://www.overlandjournals.com

Live life to the fullest, it's too short to procrastinate!
    Duncan Udawatta

2. sharkcaver

sharkcaver Well-Known Member

happy wife: happy life.

That's why I leave mine at home :rolleyes:

It looks quite large and should alleviate that claustrophobic feeling. I have a single pole dome swag too, no where near as large as yours, but its been a great investment for me and roomy as.

So what swag did you end up buying then?

underdog, Zamunda and richardlnsw like this.
  3. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

Yeah me too. My wife thrashes around, snores and wants sex all the time...errr, hang on, that's me. :)

Zamunda, sharkcaver and Albynsw like this.
  4. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

My wife says an upgraded swag would be a hotel!

Zamunda likes this.
  5. darb

darb Well-Known Member

My wife and i were both anti swags (other than a traditional swag in the back of ute, or inside a larger tent), until we saw & settled on a dirty dee from darche. "tent swag" to be precise. Love the box shape as the roof stays intact and half door openings means no dust / sand etc "falls in" when getting in and out (infact we mostly use the "doggy door" at the end to get in and out , especially if its windy). Very fast to setup, free standing, wind tolerant ... half and 1/8th windows for star gazing but still being covered.

I use it a lot with my son and i ... big enough to share two adults. When its the four of us, then wife n daughter in one, myself and son in the other.

When I'm bachelor mode on a lads trip ... it's bloody bliss, sleep better in my swag than I ever do at home!
    CottonHead-2018--1034.jpg CottonHead-2018--1017.jpg CottonHead-2018--1001.jpg GOPR2880.jpg IMG_8578.JPG

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    underdog, Zamunda and 80lover96gxl like this.
  6. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

I have a king size dome swag and it is plenty big enough and does the job but @Darbs model is a winner with the extra features and what I would get next time around

Zamunda likes this.
  7. darb

darb Well-Known Member

I'm a bit of a fussy bitch with my sleep ... so getting me out of my ute canopy or tent took some work, now i don't look back.

I've camped in some shitty arse conditions too, didn't miss a beat.

though, 35 knot winds things rattle a fair bit ... not much won't!

Zamunda likes this.
  8. sharkcaver

T'was a fun night indeed......Not!

go to 4:20 on the vid

Zamunda and darb like this.
  9. darb

darb Well-Known Member

Ha ha yep that’s a blowin!

sharkcaver likes this.
  10. Barra GU

Barra GU Well-Known Member

Nice thread. Some awesome options too...
    I have one of the old original style darche swags with the pole only on the head board and the rest husy dangles down on its own towards ypur feet...

She's getting close to 17 years old now and sometimes think to myself may be time for an upgrade but the thing is so easy to pack up compared to some of the newer ones i just cant seem to commit yet...
    I have to say though ive never had a bad nights sleep in it either and ive had rtt, tents as well

Zamunda likes this.
  11. darb

darb Well-Known Member

Stick with the old girl !

But if you do decide to look at new ones. The one I bought is seriously so easy to setup. The poles stay in it (just unclip the ends) and roll up with it. Doona stay in it. Seriously fast n easy and free standing.

It rolls up the same size as an old school double swag with no hoops or roof at all that my bro in law has (pic 1 side by side)
    B1D732FB-9E8E-4E37-8777-5587DF8DE82F.jpeg

In its bag and roll up
    D0681259-76EE-4637-9419-155DFE8A6ECB.jpeg
    11CB0005-CF23-4137-9C6A-7F4DD4B1F72B.jpeg

29DC435C-EBC7-4707-935C-810D6FCE42AB.jpeg

Zamunda, richardlnsw and 80lover96gxl like this.
  12. Zamunda

Firstly I was on a budget so some of the more established brands were out of consideration for me. With that in mind, not many other brands offered a large enough swag that would also fit perfectly into the limited space I have in the fourby. So eventually got a no-name swag from eBay. The canvas and PVC bottom gradings all matched to swags offered by other brands. Time will tell how durable and long lasting this is going to be. But at $150 I am not too fussed.

13. Zamunda

As I read I was filled with envy, until the last part :D

Mr Rum, mikehzz and sharkcaver like this.
  14. Zamunda

I LOVE those. Unfortunately, it was out of my budget range :( Been spending a crapload of money on all sorts of gear and toys, had to cut back.

15. sharkcaver

$150....that's a bargain. Hope its durable enough to last the test of time.....and trashing, snoring and sex :oops:

Mr Rum and Zamunda like this.
  16. darb

darb Well-Known Member

You Blokes are getting too much! I never get any camping! (I must admit the logistics Of which I often don’t really want to either but normally means she gets accosted as soon as we walk in the door at home)

Zamunda likes this.
  17. Zamunda

Yes I hope so too. Especially the last part would be the ultimate test. :D