Change background image

A Must for your First Aid Kit

Discussion in 'Camping Equipment' started by Big-Trev, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Batts88

Batts88 Well-Known Member

Before people got right into purifying water from a creek etc when they go camping we were told if it looks sus just add some cottee's raspberry cordial to it and she'll be fine. I actually use to carry a 750ml bottle in my shorty 40 when I travelled around the top end in the late 80's early 90's be it a coincidence or just good luck me and my mates never got ill from creek water.

2. Snoo

Snoo New Member

Grab some charcoal tablets from the chemist. The sell them as anti gas pills. Take half a dozen and the charcoal will absorb all the bad stuff. Your poos will be black as the ace of spades but it'll fix you up in a day

3. Marck

Marck Well-Known Member

You need micron level filtration to remove parasites and bacteria that can cause you a few poo and stomach problems. We grew up drinking creek and rain water as kids. But we were taught that you don’t drink stagnant water and always drink upstream of where you stood in the water so that you didn’t get any dirt or silt that you have stirred up. And we still got the odd round of the poops and I am sure a couple of the vomiting bugs probably came from the water also. The safest way is to just boil it. The CDC says that boiling for 1 minuet will kill 99.999 percent of nasties. But keep in mind boiling doesn’t remove any chemical contamination if that’s a problem where you are.

After all that I still love a cool drink of water from a clear creek.

Albynsw likes this.