A less conventional approach...

LongRoad2Go

Although it looks like you've already removed it from your list, I suggest a second-hand BMW X5 will cost you a small fortune to keep repaired and moving. An acquaintance purchased a new X7 and after a few years it kept going into limp mode even after several BMW diagnostics ($$$$). It was eventually traded in because it was spending more time in the shop than on the road. So, a second-hand Beamer is likely to fulfil the old adage of buying someone else's problems. The last thing you'd want in a remote location.

As others have said, stick with the known off-road brands - someone mentioned Mahindra ... probably able to afford buying a new one and upgrade it in comparison to buying most other second-hand brands (?)

linuxfan66

Just go and test drive a heap of cars then decide what you like and research that car, if it then fits the bill without to many down sides find the best of the chosen make / model.
A few years ago I had my heart set on a particular car, budgeted about 60k for mods to make it a good car and what I wanted, test drove a couple and decided it was a heap of crap and wasn't interested in spending that much on such a floored platform.
Ended up with something totally different that I had originally discounted as not suitable, 100,000km and 5 years later still have a massive smile every time I drive it and very happy to have saved about 70k and ended up with a better 4wd
what car out of curiousity?

Albynsw

what car out of curiousity?

I know exactly what vehicle your talking about Matt but your secret is safe with me. It was an apples for oranges comparison though and comparing a SH purchase to a new one.
But it is true, you need to check a few different styles of vehicles out to see what works for you.

Last edited:

Chatty

You'll find plenty of later model Pajeros around that will make a much better off road vehicle than the Beemer.
Comfort wise, you really can't beat the Exceed trim in the Paj and you won't be disappointed with how it looks or feels.

As an ex Paj owner, we miss our NS Exceed every day...

Last edited:

discomatt

I know exactly what vehicle your talking about Matt but your secret is safe with me. It was an apples for oranges comparison though and comparing a SH purchase to a new one.
But it is true, you need to check a few different styles of vehicles out to see what works for you.
Nup both were going to be second hand purchase, the purchase had to be no more than 3 years old.
No secrets I just didnt want to upset any worshipers of a particular brand and it has been pointed out quite clearly several times by a some forum regulars that even though they can preach the brilliance of their chosen brand and take every opportunity to bag another brand that privilege or right of opinion does not apply to all and we all know who I am speaking of

cam04

Common mistake - beemers are motorbikes, bimmers are cars. If you are ever in a BMW club that means stuff.
X5 diesels do have a rep for doing turbos. I’ve seen a few up at Fraser over the years. They don’t appear to do it too tough in the sand. Not in my top 10 touring busses though.

Noob4x4

You'll find plenty of later model Pajeros around that will make a much better off road vehicle than the Beemer.
Comfort wise, you really can't beat the Exceed trim in the Paj and you won't be disappointed with how it looks or feels.

As an ex Paj owner, we miss our NS Exceed every day...

I've been having a look at the NS Exceeds and noticing quite a few on LPG conversions and curious if yours had it too and if so, how did it run. It definitely appears to be the best value for money option of all the others I have looked at but I haven't read a whole lot about them yet either. How many km are they typically good until and at what point is it too many?

I am finding that looking for a 4x4 breaks a few traditional rules when buying a car...its a learning process :D

Chatty

I've been having a look at the NS Exceeds and noticing quite a few on LPG conversions and curious if yours had it too and if so, how did it run. It definitely appears to be the best value for money option of all the others I have looked at but I haven't read a whole lot about them yet either. How many km are they typically good until and at what point is it too many?

I am finding that looking for a 4x4 breaks a few traditional rules when buying a car...its a learning process :D
I'm diesel all the way baby. You can pick the Toorak Tractors by them typically being the petrol engine.

Just be aware that the 3.2 DiD engine has a rare but known problem of dropping the timing chain at around 250,000km.
The petrol engine doesn't have any significant issues that I'm aware of.

sharkcaver

The NS diesel also has some big DPF dark clouds hanging over it. The NT to a lesser degree. The NX up to October 17 was DPF free.

Noob4x4

I'm diesel all the way baby. You can pick the Toorak Tractors by them typically being the petrol engine.

Just be aware that the 3.2 DiD engine has a rare but known problem of dropping the timing chain at around 250,000km.
The petrol engine doesn't have any significant issues that I'm aware of.
I've found a 2006 petrol one that I am going to look at today with about 140,000km on it and full logbooks. Looks like it had a road life and has a bullbar. The Interior is disgustingly white (nothing seat covers cant fix) but it hasn't got all those techy screens and crap that can go bad. Let's see if the stars align. I'm pretty good at twisting arms in a negotiation but I just don't know what they're worth right now.

boobook

I've found a 2006 petrol one that I am going to look at today with about 140,000km on it and full logbooks. Looks like it had a road life and has a bullbar. The Interior is disgustingly white (nothing seat covers cant fix) but it hasn't got all those techy screens and crap that can go bad. Let's see if the stars align. I'm pretty good at twisting arms in a negotiation but I just don't know what they're worth right now.
Good choice. They have a great track record. I loved my NM petrol. It was a little thirsty but not too bad. Nothing like a 100, Patrol petrol etc.

Reliable too.

Lost1?

The timing chain guide on Mitsubishi 3.2 diesel should be treated as a consumable item. Bit like a cam belt. Stay away from NM-NP DID engines. Fuel pumps can be costly when they let go. The CRD motors (NS onward) don't have the same issue. That is the engine to get.

Chatty

The timing chain guide on Mitsubishi 3.2 diesel should be treated as a consumable item. Bit like a cam belt. Stay away from NM-NP DID engines. Fuel pumps can be costly when they let go. The CRD motors (NS onward) don't have the same issue. That is the engine to get.
This issue isn't the timing chain guide. My guide was still in prefect condition (having been recently replaced) when the chain let go. This issue is well known on the Pajero forums.

mikehzz

Seeing as though an X5 BMW was mentioned, I thought this video is relevant and interesting. It compares the traction systems for quite a few different cars, old and new. The X5 did very well but unfortuately is let down in many other areas. Clearly the best traction systems are Land Rover (in the Jaguar ePace), VW, BMW and the newer Mitsi and Toyota.

Noob4x4

That Pajero I went to test drive was sold an hour after I test drove it. Couldn't help but feel like I missed out when I called to drop a deposit the next day. A serious search has now begun for a Petrol NS/NT Pajero (NS preferable) but I am not really seeing the same value as that one in terms of km/condition/cost from the ones I have seen since.

I am just curious as to what resources and avenues you guys might use to find quality 4x4s and if I am missing out on this unearthed website or whatever.

Also, at what point do these engines and drivetrains start to reach the end of their life span even if well looked after? Is it worth going for a cheaper one where the seller is open with regards to the issues to the engine/leaks etc and factoring in the cost/time to repair or do I keep the hunt going for what seemed like a very rare opportunity?