A good comparison

discomatt

A complete rundown of the 3 top 4wd wagons on the market, would be good to see a 4-5 year of real world ownership experience down the track though, the front runner may be a little different

Albynsw

Interesting read,
I have always thought of the Defender as a Prado equivalent not a Landcruiser but when you look at the specs they are closely aligned. Visually I would pick the Defender over the other two any day, it is a much nicer vehicle. I had a look over a 300 the other day when picking up my 79. True to form of Toyota it is nothing exciting to get the juices flowing, it is just designed to do a job.

Good to see the comparison

Last edited:

phs

Just can’t read those reviews as they are paid to give the winner

And Toyota don’t pay so at a guess the LR or Nissan won, given LR are pushing there defender I’ll take a stab in the dark and say it won ?

boobook

Just can’t read those reviews as they are paid to give the winner

And Toyota don’t pay so at a guess the LR or Nissan won, given LR are pushing there defender I’ll take a stab in the dark and say it won ?
The main problem IMHO is they take them on dirt roads and highways, and go through a few puddles and hills, pretending thay are off road. They leave highway tyres on them which shows how off road they go.

Then they hand them back and make a big issue if they bend one of the aluminium side steps.

Let them own them for a year or two and suffer the same service costs breakdowns and dealer issues as an owner. Let them get a service on a trip.

Let them see what support there is for tyres, after market parts and people who know how to fix them.

Let them really take them on a rugged, wet, clay steep track

Then they are worth reading IMHO.

Reactions: phs

phs

The main problem IMHO is they take them on dirt roads and highways, and go through a few puddles and hills, pretending thay are off road. They leave highway tyres on them which shows how off road they go.

Then they hand them back and make a big issue if they bend one of the aluminium side steps.

Let them own them for a year or two and suffer the same service costs breakdowns and dealer issues as an owner. Let them get a service on a trip.

Let them see what support there is for tyres, after market parts and people who know how to fix them.

Let them really take them on a rugged, wet, clay steep track

Then they are worth reading IMHO.
I don’t mind reading reviews just as a review but not against another vehicle money talks

Yes agree they spend 6 hours in them and have them all comprehensively sussed out.

boobook

you wanna prove that? ad revenue bias is definitely a thing but that is extraordinary claim requiring equal proof
Dunno about now, but I used to work for a company that advertised a lot. It's the way it worked. We would get a positive review if we took an extra add or two.

No ads, no positive review. But everyone was doing it so you had to be a big advertiser just to stay in the pack.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
I do watch a bit of Pat the Hat .
Seems he drives all makes over time and tells me that the latest make he drives is the ants pants.
Funny that, so does All 4 Adventure, Jase and Simon and Penny Wells Top of down Under, etc., etc.
I think it's called advertise and you get all these you beaut freebies.
Reckon that many 4wd vehicles doing well is more dependent on the blokes and Sheilas who drive them.
I mean , there a lots of ways of driving sand, pulling stumps, climbing and descending, etc etc . that depends on the person behind the wheel .

Last edited:

boobook

Seems he drives all makes over time and tells me that the latest make he drives is the ants pants.
Funny that, so does All 4 Adventure, Jase and Simon and Penny Wells Top of down Under, etc., etc.
Oh, and the tyres.

Cooper, BFG, Mickey Thompson, etc

Don't forget the Redarc, and EFS suspension.

phs

Graham Cahill is a perfect example through and through a patrol man, for his own 4wding has a GQ. and a GU on 4wd24/7 the dmax gets fantastic praise for its unstoppable nature from memory the spare box 200 has blown about 50 more CVs than the Dmax the reality would be quite the opposite

reviews are no different

discomatt

I just find the stuff sprouted by the die hard Toyota worshipers hilarious, does it hurt you so much that a review says a LR is a better drive that a Toyota?
As I stated I would love to see a 4 year of ownership review as the outcome may be very different.
Some of the responses here speak volumes on human nature and the mindset of some.
All I can say is go and do your own test drives then, as I always state in the dozens of what car should I buy, test drive them all and see what is best then research that car.
Oviously the new Defender has many issues, I would never buy one of the current models but that doesn't mean it is not a better designed and engineered 4wd that performs better than other manufacturers when its going

boobook

I just find the stuff sprouted by the die hard Toyota worshipers hilarious, does it hurt you so much that a review says a LR is a better drive that a Toyota?
As I stated I would love to see a 4 year of ownership review as the outcome may be very different.
Some of the responses here speak volumes on human nature and the mindset of some.
All I can say is go and do your own test drives then, as I always state in the dozens of what car should I buy, test drive them all and see what is best then research that car.
Oviously the new Defender has many issues, I would never buy one of the current models but that doesn't mean it is not a better designed and engineered 4wd that performs better than other manufacturers when its going
Matt, I was talking to your point of the long term reviews. These reviews really are not designed to help buyers as they are not a real world. They would be useful for someone that wants a 4wd for picnics. That's my point.

The fact that LR won is not my point at all. It deserved to win a test like that fair and square.

Don't take it the wrong way, you even said it yourself. My comments are about the test, not the 4wds. Same comment if it's a hilux vs bt50 vs amrok.

Last edited:

Albynsw

I thought the comparison was helpful and useful to potential buyers highlighting the features and benefits of each model. The question of long term ownership with the brands is already a known point for anyone who has been around the block before

The one point they didn’t address is end cost of ownership. Resale value has a massive bearing on that and we all know how that would of played out.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Ha ha. You said it all.
Just like your mindset as a die hard LR worshipper. ;)

Rusty Panels

I reckon all the 4x4 shows and motoring writers are biased toward either their own vehicle or the brands they are reviewing. Also the only fair comparisons are those where the vehicles are all using the same tyres and are the similar price range and model specifications. You can't compare any vehicles that aren't similarly equiped IMHO. It is like comparing a wheelbarrow to a Kenworth.
Unfortunately the only true way to know what one of these vehicles is genuinely like is by owning one for a time. I think you have to pick one that ticks your preferences and run with it.
I have always loved Toyotas, I know they tend to be a bit bland but I have never had any dramas with any that I have owned, they always got me there and back again. Having said that I doubt whether I would buy a 300.
In my opinion back in the early days there was no real comparisons to be made when it came to 4wd's you either went Toyota or Nissan, nothing else could go near them for reliability.
Nowadays we are spoilt for choice.
Personally, I think they have all lost their way and just got too clever with all the tech and gimmicks. I've said it before, bring back the good old 80 series with a 1HDFTE implanted and you will own the market.

discomatt

A lot of people don’t care about resale value, when do bought the D4 I knew dam well I would loose a lot more at sale time than if I bought a Toyota or any other 4wd for that matter but who cares, I bought it for what the car offers during ownership and for me that was and still is more than other offerings

Albynsw

A lot of people don’t care about resale value, when do bought the D4 I knew dam well I would loose a lot more at sale time than if I bought a Toyota or any other 4wd for that matter but who cares, I bought it for what the car offers during ownership and for me that was and still is more than other offerings

Matt you bought yours second hand so already took advantage of the deprecated price , I have bought LR’s new and burnt over 100k per vehicle every time come resale
I buy my Toyotas new because it doesn’t make financial sense to buy them S/H with their high resale values

John U

John Cadogan put to rest any faith I’d have in any of these reviews a couple of years ago. He should have a fair idea as he used to be part of the process.
This is not to say that the review could come up with an accurate answer, just that it isn’t reliable as it could be influenced by commercial terms.

discomatt

So if going out n from the comments here that people actually think there is some kind of blind auction and who ever pay the most gets the best reviews, now that is funny