A fun Night

yobboford

With no plans for the night a last minute night run was decide on for last night and a quick ring around saw 4 of us heading into the bush for a quick run. Me in the 80, a 4runner, a Pathfinder and a Challenger.

We picked a track we hadn't done too often but knew had about 4 or 5 good rock climbs that could be done in about 2 hours and would be a bit of a challenge for the Pathfinder and Challenger among us and a good test for the LED light bar on my roof rack.

So we get to the first set of rock steps and the 80 climbs up and I'm still blown away at the amount of good light the light bar puts out, I park at the top and walk back to help guide the Pathfinder up. With a 40mm lift and a 50mm subframe drop and a set of 31" muddies the Nissan is a bit of a surprise packet that regularly performs better than expected, but tonight wasn't to be it's night.... As the front wheels came up over the second step of the climb there was a loud "crack" followed by some grinding and "SPARKS" :eek::eek::eek: yep sparks, lol.

All forward motion was halted and the torches revealed a CV shaft that had clean snapped right where the outer boot is clamped on! This alone would have been a bit of a problem but when the shaft has broken it has spun around and turned itself into a wrecking ball collecting the steering arm and bashing it till it resembled a banana being bent nearly 90deg and giving the car more tow than a Japanese safety boot.

So we now had a car with 2wd only and about 35deg tow-in stuck half way up a climb, a quick attempt with a hammer revealed the steering arm wasn't going to straighten easily so we decided to snatch him to the flat ground at the top of the climb. Naturally the 80 had no problem getting him up and we set to having a closer look. Even after trying several different ways to straighten the steering arm we couldn't get it much better at all, we tried pulling it straight with the strap, hitting it with a big hammer, removing the tie rod and levering it straight with a bar, using a jack, nothing was working and it sure explained the sparks when the CV shaft hit it as it must have taken some real force to bend it like it did.

To add to the problems it now started to rain, lol, so the decision was made that we would put it back together and just see how we go pulling the Pathfinder the rest of the way behind the 80. The bush mechanic session had reduced the tow in to about 20degrees so we set off. The decision was made to leave a snatch strap on instead of a tow/winch extension strap because of the climbs ahead of us and it was certainly a mission to get through the rest of the track but we made it out. Our 2 hour quick run had turned into a 4.5 hour trip and we were all wet, tired and exhausted but had a real sense of achievement getting the car home.

So there it is our fun night, no real moral to the story, I just felt like sharing it with you guys, lol.

Feel free to recount your most eventful night runs...

Cheers, Rob.

Walkabout

G'day mate,

Your story reminds me of the last time a bunch of us went down Secret Squirrel track:eek: (sorry 4wdaction you are just going to have to keep wondering where this hardcore track is, maybe you can spoil a different one on your dvd's instead :p)
All well nearly all got down undamaged (poor jeep) though as we were doing the climb out a Hilux ute that was bouncing trying to get up a step bent the steering arm big time - toe in was about 40+ deg.
We winched him up the step then using some rope and a bottle jack straightened the arm, it did such a good job that the owner said it was like normal again. So good infact that he drove the 130klm home and did not upgrade the straightened arm for a couple of months, only upgrading to a heavier grade arm so it did not happen again.
Amazing what you can do with some rope, a bottle jack and a few bush mechanics.

billolga

Sounds like three of my outback trips in my Pathy - It was great except for the front suspension cracking & funny wheel angles. :eek:

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
An electric winch, forked tree and a tree trunk protector make short work of straightening any steering arm in the bush. Had to do it several times.

Grey Ghost

4x4 Earth Contributer
hey now! no need to bring jeeps into this, you will find a NISSAN stuffed the cv on this occasion:rolleyes:
For all we know big rig's second car which has suffered all the damage, is a nissan patrol:p

Before big wig gets up on his high step ladder, wash your mouth out.....:D:D:D:D:D

Walkabout

hey now! no need to bring jeeps into this, you will find a NISSAN stuffed the cv on this occasion:rolleyes:
For all we know big rig's second car which has suffered all the damage, is a nissan patrol:p

Think you may find at that time his primary car was a Pwado and the 2nd car was a Jweep;)

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
Must be a Jeep thing:p

No actually, last few steering arms that had to be straightened were Frostys Nissan - straightened by a winch on front of a toyota AND Loose moose's steering straightened by none otherthan a winch on front of a Jeep!

hehehe bit like that Nissan bogged at Stockton recovered also by a Toyota eh Gordo ;)

yobboford

ha ha ha, and I thought Holden/Ford rivalry was bad, lol, Go the Fords mind you (nobody mention the race that occurred today on some mountain somewhere..) but the rivalry amongst 4wd'ers is even stronger, hard to understand really when everyone must already know the superiority of Toyota!!!! lol.

Jeep_jk112

haha mouth is washed! i will never use bigrig and nissan pootrol in the same sentence again :eek:
go the holden!!!! pitty the wrong one won but ahh well, holden took out top 3 so that says something eh?:D