Change background image

A day in the bunyip forest

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by jacnden, Feb 25, 2018.

1. jacnden

jacnden Well-Known Member

I posted up a query a while back about Gentle Annie track in the bunyip forest and ended up with an invite to a trip with Sean (silver toy) and a few of his mates , Dino and Ivan in gu,s and Wayne and his lovely wife in a gq. Forgot to mention Sean has an 80 series with lots of tricks on 35,s
    We started with a loop around bunyip ridge , little bunyip and then up Anderson,s . Good little drive till we came to the last few hundred metres of andersons which took us well over an hour to do . Bit of winching , snatching and some good driving got us alll thru
    Then a loop up western track and Gentle Annie. A few bog holes to negotiate and some tough slippery climbs
    The only pics I have is this clip of my little Chinese car on the rock ledges of Gentle Annie

We all had a good run on the ledges then came to a big rutted slippery and rocky climb that Sean got up with a bit of slippping and banging
    As the day was getting on we decided not to spend another hour here getting the rest of us up and pulled the plug and headed home
    Hopefullly we will get a few pics posted up in the next few days
    Big thanks to Sean for inviting me along

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  2. TonyF8

TonyF8 Active Member

Champion effort mate.

3. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Excellent stuff

4. jacnden

Rick, you did give me a bit of advice before I went, I think our group was just what you said
    :) :) :)
    Just kidding although we did meet up with those guys in jeeps

Spooner and slivertoy like this.
  5. slivertoy

slivertoy Well-Known Member

Glad you had a fun time @jacnden , it was a pretty easy day, (for some):D, with 2 GU's, a GQ, my 80 series and the "little 4x4 that could"
    as mentioned before, Dennis posted that he was interested in going up to Gentle Annie, so me and my boy's decided that we would make a trip and invite him along, just what nice folk do,
    We headed out to Anderson's Track, Via blue range track, and down little bunyip, going up Anderson's, it was easy, until you get to the top 100mt, or so and then it just became a battle of the best and beast, the mighty 80 made it up with a little or no effort, the BIG GU, twin locked and coming in at 3.2 tonne, struggled to get up, a quick tug from me, had him sorted out, then came the GREAT WALL, he made it up quite easy. picking a different line, staying on top of the ruts, up in one go, job well done, the other GU had a few goes, then he was up, and finally the GQ made it up too.
    We then headed off on Bunyip River road, to Western Track, via Tea tree track, the first part of Western track was easy for all of us, there were some tricky sections, and then we came to the "hill of death", what become known as the "Nissan Killer",, needless to say it took us 1 hr, multiple straps, double line pull winch and a few berries from the 80, to get him up, then it was the "velvet sledge hammer's" turn, sadly Dennis needed a snatch from me too, we get to the top and he say's, "I drove up most of that", ha ha, good one Dennis, it was then the other Patrol's turn to get up, a few different lines, not that there were many to choose from, just think of a long muddy hill with only 3 ruts in it, 3 or 4 goes each and we are all up, we then snaked our way along Gentle Annie track, had a play on the rocky sections, a bit slower and more a technical rock climbs, then we got to the final hill before the top, a long rutted out hill about 150 mt long and about 100mt high, with rocks in the middle of the ruts, i gave it a crack, bottomed out on some deep ruts, a bang here and there from the rocks and made it to the top, the others could have made it up with a bit of effort, but we all know what those "3 o'clock" tracks can become, we made a smart decision to bail out there, I waddled, slipped graciously, down and we headed home,
    Every-one had fun, had a play, learnt something along the way and didn't break anything, all in all, a good day on the tracks.
    (pic's to follow)
    Slivertoy,
    aka Sean

6. Spooner

Told you Sean wouldn't lead you astray , a great crew to travel with , glad you enjoyed mate.

80lover96gxl and slivertoy like this.
  7. slivertoy

heh Rick, @Spooner , it was mentioned that Dennis @jacnden and his Great Wall, was not allowed out with us anymore,
    he made it look too easy sometimes, :p:D:) being so so much lighter and a narrow wheel track, with decent tyres, lift and locker,
    the thing went really well, surprised us hardened critics, :D

80lover96gxl, Swaggie and Spooner like this.
  8. slivertoy

here are some pic's of the day out
    bunyip1.jpg
    the Great Wall
    bunyip3.jpg
    GU Tray-back coming up Andersons
    bunyip4.jpg
    The GQ stuck on Andersons, nothing but a Max Trax didn't fix
    bunyip5.jpg
    3 wheeling GU up Western Track
    bunyip6.jpg
    Gentle Annie, My Ar$e
    bunyip7.jpg
    what most of the others saw all day (insert big cheezzy grin here)
    enjoy
    Sean

Mr Rum, 80lover96gxl, dno67 and 4 others like this.
  9. jacnden

Just checking that snatch strap is not there to pull you out of a hole is it ??
    Great pic of Gentle Annie

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    slivertoy likes this.
  10. Spooner

Have got myself stuck their too on the odd occasion :D
    IMAG0223.jpg

80lover96gxl and slivertoy like this.
  11. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

Wow, haven't been to Bunyip for 10 years and it certainly has changed a lot !!
    Might have to head back there to have a play before the winter closures start but totally booked out until July so don't like my chances

12. jacnden

Ivan sent me a couple of pics tonight, sorry they are mostly my car
    IMG_20180227_181621.jpg
    Good bit of flex for me
    IMG_20180227_181516.jpg
    IMG_20180227_182538.jpg

Spooner, 80lover96gxl and slivertoy like this.
  13. slivertoy

You have the same problem as me Matt.
    Busting my clacker at work and home.
    But if you have a free Sunday, hit me up I’d love to go up there again.

80lover96gxl and discomatt like this.
  14. Bomber2012

Bomber2012 Well-Known Member

Nice work Dennis .:):)

15. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

Yeh kind of, I have way to many holidays booked for the first half of this year, tough but someone has to do it.
    Will try to get up there after the SA meet

slivertoy and 80lover96gxl like this.
  16. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

bunyip7.jpg
    Nice ar$e.

slivertoy and Bomber2012 like this.
  17. jacnden

Not very good quality , these two are from my mates phone. Me and Ivan on andersons track

18. slivertoy

Why, thanks Brian. That’s the first time someone has said that to me. :D:D

80lover96gxl likes this.
  19. slivertoy

482705EA-1104-47D8-B86A-DD59AC47771E.jpeg 5FBD893A-BCBD-439F-A976-F8446FBD192E.jpeg 9C1ADA0E-1C2B-4573-9EA0-39ECE2526473.jpeg Some more pictures of the day out 98D5A600-A395-4B9F-B946-5CFC97A864E9.jpeg 8FD7C58E-F6F4-46ED-ADB5-94A4A6A3201D.jpeg

jacnden, Spooner and 80lover96gxl like this.
  20. unko84

unko84 Active Member

in post 12 is Nino making a coffee again?

slivertoy and jacnden like this.