80 SERIES vs 1990 NISSAN PATROL TI

troy30

HI All, i was going to get a nissan patrol 1990 model ti duel fuel etc.. but i have now seen a 80 series diesel from a old fella in great nick, for only $6000 and very well looked after. WHAT CAR IS STRONGER OR BETTER ? please help as i need to make my mind up tonight lol

Traveller

Both can be great vehicles, either could be lemons. Look into the service history of both, look at the
general condition, kays, accesories etc. But the vehicle on it's merit, not on it's badge.
Also consider running costs, part replacement etc.
Jok

cptmud

It all depends on how hard you want to go, ppl say that nissans have a stronger drive train, but i have yet to break a cv or drive line component. I have done some of the harder tracks, eg rocky track, the steps, steep track, vic range track when it was open in toolangi. The 80 offers more comfort, but i think it is more down to personal choice.

Croozer

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
I have done a heap of research on this and come to the conclusion that the patrol won over the cruiser. Sorry Grumpy,Gunna,Gilly etc etc. The patrol is a lovely car. We looked at 80's and even 100's But in the end the Patrol won. It all depends what you want to use it for. It comes down to personal choice and the nick of the car you are looking at. We looked at some great 80's but they just wanted to much. So I brought a clean GU TI and doing all the mods my self.

knot_gillty

I have done a heap of research on this and come to the conclusion that the patrol won over the cruiser. Sorry Grumpy,Gunna,Gilly etc etc. The patrol is a lovely car. We looked at 80's and even 100's But in the end the Patrol won. It all depends what you want to use it for. It comes down to personal choice and the nick of the car you are looking at. We looked at some great 80's but they just wanted to much. So I brought a clean GU TI and doing all the mods my self.

BUT, yours is a little newer than this Croozer..

Both are very competent vehicles with heaps of mods available. It more comes down to personal choice. As Traveller said, buy it on its merits though. I know this doesn't help too much. Me personally would go for a Cruiser (which i have :D) and i have driven an '89 model patrol quite a bit (inlaws had one) and i reckon the cruiser to have more comfort and a heaps better turning circle!!

stets

the 80 series is a far more refined and comfortable vehicle and if touring is your thing then you will be more at home in it.

but if you want a tougher vehicle, with a bit better driveline, and prefer the rough around the edges appeal go the gq patrol.

as for off road capabilities, th gq is better in stock form, but as soon as mods are done, its all about the mod and how it is driven. they both have just as much aftermarket accessories support too.

spare parts for the toyo will cost a small fortune compared to the patrol, and you will most possibly (not probably) need more spare parts for the toyo especially if towing or driving hard.

cruiserlad

4x4 Earth Contributer

mate he is looking at a gq not a gu completely different beast and an 80 series wins hands down over a gq they are still leaf spring :eek::eek::eek:and definatley deisel over dual fuel the way diesel is dropping got it for 112 a litre the other day:D:D:D

Last edited:

troy30

first of all id just like to say what a good help everyone has been, i did do a lot more looking into the history of both 4x4ers and although i do like the look of the 90 ti patrol with roof console and body, i could not be real sure of its hisory as for servicing etc. and the 80 series had the bonus for me of having a little more room that i was after, and the history is from a old man with all receipts for al servicing and even had a copper radiator put in, and at 36000 he done the gear box as he was 80 and his hip was going. also its never done any serious 4wding, so i like buying with piece of mind.. oh yes and its deisel with duel batteries etc ,,, ill be sure to post picks by sat...

cruiserlad

4x4 Earth Contributer
first of all id just like to say what a good help everyone has been, i did do a lot more looking into the history of both 4x4ers and although i do like the look of the 90 ti patrol with roof console and body, i could not be real sure of its hisory as for servicing etc. and the 80 series had the bonus for me of having a little more room that i was after, and the history is from a old man with all receipts for al servicing and even had a copper radiator put in, and at 36000 he done the gear box as he was 80 and his hip was going. also its never done any serious 4wding, so i like buying with piece of mind.. oh yes and its deisel with duel batteries etc ,,, ill be sure to post picks by sat...

sounds like ya gotta a pearler there troy im sure youll have a ball

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hate to say it, the c c c cruisers lookin good, at this stage.

I might go and slash my wrists!!

Pure Yobbo

GQ's come as coils as well as leafs.

80 series is heaps lower in low range than the GQ which I think is a good thing.

stets

all gq wagons and swb's are coils all around, the leaf springs were only in the utes.

they came out with coil cab as an option later (unsure of the yr)

and as for gearing, it doesnt matter whether it is auto or manual, the 80 series has a lower tranfer gear ratio than the patrol, that said the auto patrols seem to engine brake better than the 80 series in auto tranny

LowLux

I don't care what anyone says but when it comes to the 80 series, they were one of the best 4by's ever built, especially the diesels.