79 Series Offset Question

nitrobrent

You went wheeling with this bloke?
Sadayoshi Koyari
Yeah , he was over doing hush hush 300 series stuff.
Years back he happened to get dragged to Toyota Land Cruiser Club gig.
It was at the Willowglen property.
He had a drive on a few of the tracks.
He loved it.
So whenever he comes to Australia, he asks to come back.
We drive for their Comp team.
2 Toyotas and 2 Jeeps.
Last year we had a drive around the property and then took him for drives on old Comp tracks.

Antic3

Much appreciate all of the great comments here, I am now much more informed in this issue, and looks as though you guys saved me a ton of money
At this point I will resolve to leave it standard after reading all this.
Only had it for six months now and love it so far, but I think Toyota should sell the 70 series with ear muffs as standard equipment.

I will be putting a slide on camper on It ( about 400k ) and with water, kayak, plus all my tools and other stuff probably upwards of 700k at a guess so I suspect some sort of suspension and shocks upgrade

I have decided my first upgrade will be sound deadening.
I am used to my wife yelling at me but not the other way round...ha ha

nitrobrent

Much appreciate all of the great comments here, I am now much more informed in this issue, and looks as though you guys saved me a ton of money
At this point I will resolve to leave it standard after reading all this.
Only had it for six months now and love it so far, but I think Toyota should sell the 70 series with ear muffs as standard equipment.

I will be putting a slide on camper on It ( about 400k ) and with water, kayak, plus all my tools and other stuff probably upwards of 700k at a guess so I suspect some sort of suspension and shocks upgrade

I have decided my first upgrade will be sound deadening.
I am used to my wife yelling at me but not the other way round...ha ha
Have you put the 3" Beaudesert exhaust on yet?
They sound awesome

hiluxdriver

Yeah , he was over doing hush hush 300 series stuff.
Years back he happened to get dragged to Toyota Land Cruiser Club gig.
It was at the Willowglen property.
He had a drive on a few of the tracks.
He loved it.
So whenever he comes to Australia, he asks to come back.
We drive for their Comp team.
2 Toyotas and 2 Jeeps.
Last year we had a drive around the property and then took him for drives on old Comp tracks.
That's pretty rad.

Antic3

No Nitrobrent
Over the 6 to 7 months I will be doing a lot to get it ready for overlanding including a safe ECU tune, I will be seeking advice on this from my local guy here is Coffs Harbour
I do believe an ECU tune is wasted on a standard 70 series so I am expecting him to suggest exhaust, catch can and maybe other stuff as well as a sealed air box.
Looking I to a waterproof alternator as well

At this point I am wondering why I shelled out the better part of 70k and still have to spend a small fortune setting it up

My other choice was a Iveco Daily.......... at the time.

discomatt

At this point I am wondering why I shelled out the better part of 70k and still have to spend a small fortune setting it up
When I did my budget to do a decent build it was 125-130k, that included rear diff with coil conversion, auto, seats, stereo, sound proofing, engine, turbo and exhaust upgrade plus all the standard suspension, bar work etc.
Saved over 50,000 with another option, whether that pans out worth it remains to be seen but more than happy so far

Albynsw

No Nitrobrent
Over the 6 to 7 months I will be doing a lot to get it ready for overlanding including a safe ECU tune, I will be seeking advice on this from my local guy here is Coffs Harbour
I do believe an ECU tune is wasted on a standard 70 series so I am expecting him to suggest exhaust, catch can and maybe other stuff as well as a sealed air box.
Looking I to a waterproof alternator as well

My other choice was a Iveco Daily.......... at the time.

Exhaust and snorkel yes, possibly a HD clutch if you chase some big HP but wouldn’t bother with WP alternator unless you think you have a specific need for one.

I am/was considering an Iveco Daily as a travel truck setup but will probably end up with an older Mitsubishi or Isuzu 4x4 just on pricepoint alone.........big dollars by the time you fit them up

Batts88

Not sure where you get expert from boobook but it seems to be a pretty standard reply these days when people have nothing else to say. If offset wheels are such a good idea why isn't it used on every vehicle by every manufacturer and why are so many people looking to correct the cruiser offset. Some people say it can effect handling on gravel roads that may also depend on the driver the tyres and suspension but it is something that gets mentioned so there must be an issue there. As mentioned above not following the front wheel tracks in the sand is noticeable so would you think that might create a bit more drag so possible a little more fuel and power needed compared to something that has the same F/R wheel track every bit counts remembering it's a 4WD based around off road use and not designed for the race track or is it a sin if you don't overlook things like this because you can't say anything bad about a Toyata. Comparing a Landcruiser to a Porche race car you need to find something more convincing to compare it to in the same class of vehicles you might as well compare it to a chuck wagon, how many of those Porches are running on gravel roads or dragging their ass along a beach with their wide wheel track or towing campers etc.

Last edited:

boobook

It was meant to be tongue in cheek Batts. My earlier post said that only drivers of new plus old 70's would know. Sorry, you took it so seriously. My point was that there is a lot of speculation but much of it is by non owners ( as is the usual case). The 100mm difference in its self does not inherently cause a problem.

Last edited:

discomatt

My point was that there is a lot of speculation but much of it is by non owners ( as is the usual case).
Wow got confused for a moment there, I thought you were talking about LR :p
Seriously though, yep the track issue is not that bad a thing if you have always driven one, drive it accordingly and never drive it even remotley close to hard. Push one through a corner at a decent pace and you will soon learn the short comings.
I have never spent 8 hours in one, I have never done 100's of km in one, if you need to spend that long in a car to know what its like , well no comment...
I have been in one for a short period off road and it was not bad but it was for about 15 minutes and just some pretty basic track, no rock crawling, no high speed gravel, no snow, no sand, no slippery sloppy mud so my experience there is very limited.
When I was going to build one I test drove 2, on the black top and test drove them like I test drive all cars, hard because that is how you get a real for any car in a short period.
Needless to say I didn't buy one, I wont go into all the reasons because I don't want to hi hi jack the thread but handling was one of the first things that was a no

boobook

Wow got confused for a moment there, I thought you were talking about LR

Well I must admit that Landrovers did come to mind., As did 3.0l Patrols, Jeeps, Toyotas and Y62's. Going by forums, no one would be happy with any of these vehicles. Some things just blend into folk law. Some issues are real. The big ones that I'd like to know are what percentage of 3.0 Patrols really do blow up before around 200,000K, and are Jeeps really as problematic as the forums would indicate. I wouldn't mind a Jeep as a 2nd 4wd for the high country but feel like I would be buying a money pit.

cam04

I think it was pre 2003 zd30 patrols were the worst. Then Nissan cut the dip stick shorter. Seriously.
Jeeps are cabbage patch kids although evidently they are on a similar trajectory to LR with the latest models showing reliability improvements. Up
In the cold high country a 4800 patrol would be very hard to beat as a second truck. It doesn’t take much to make them very bush worthy.

phs

Can’t believe a V8 diesel could sound so sweet, love my exhaust :cool:

I’m jealous,

Can’t get the 200 to sound as nice as the 79 did not sure if it’s the twin setup or auto torque converter but the 79 had a much more defied and deeper note

Antic3

Talking about forums and vehicle reliability
I am a tradie and do about 75ks a year, I bought new Chinese built V200 (2ltr) diesel Ute, did 180ks in it apart from servicing not a spanner was laid on it
Traded for a V200 Steed (same brand) did another 200ks,same story..
My last Tradie Ute ( Still have this one) is a Chinese Foton Tunland,this one has a 2.8ltr Cummins diesel which has the same story as above, but this one pulls like a freight train from 1200rpms, it's a cracker of a Ute

My point here is I believe when it comes to diesels you change oil and filter every 5k, fuel and air filter every 20k ,diffs and transfers every 50k
This might sound like overkill to some but I have proven in my mind anyway that this method works

When it comes to Car reviews, some forums I take little notice as folks mainly talk about the little things that go wrong.I hardly read anything about drive lines or engine issures

That's my take,look after your car and it will look after you,pretty much regardless of make
In my case I saved around 50k over the 7 or so years and 3 utes I have been doing this work and besides I would never pay 45k or so for a Tradie ute

LongRoad2Go

Thought I'd tack this one onto an existing thread mentioning wheel spacers - seems this bloke is maybe unaware or doesn't care, and he openly shows his Rego Plate too :oops: 0:53 and 12:54:

joshinthecity

-25 on the rear
-5 on the front (and spare)
Job done.
Works great for me, and is legal max rear increase. (50mm total increase)
Suggest high load rated alloy, as the steel wheels can be difficult to balance.
King Wheels, Hurricane is a good choice. 1600kg rated and come in a -5 for the front, and -25 for the rear.