70 series production officially paused.

GLee

Toyota Press Release 11MAY2022

TOYOTA BOOSTS SAFETY, INCREASES PAYLOAD FOR ICONIC LANDCRUISER 70 SERIES

**Safety performance benefits from addition of autonomous emergency braking**
**Higher gross vehicle mass allows greater payload**
**Upgraded range due to go on sale in November 2022**

Toyota is set to upgrade its iconic workhorse 4WD LandCruiser 70 Series with improvements to safety technology and an increase in gross vehicle mass (GVM), offering greater payload.

Due to arrive in November of 2022, the upgraded LandCruiser 70 Series pickup and wagon range benefits from the addition of a pre-collision safety system incorporating autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian and cyclist detection1.

This builds upon the already extensive safety technology that includes anti-lock braking, traction control, vehicle stability control and hill-start assist.

Design refinements have enabled Toyota to increase the GVM to more than 3,500kg, supporting useful increases in payload2 and taking the range from the light to the medium goods category.

Toyota Australia Vice President Sales, Marketing and Franchise Operations Sean Hanley said Toyota was committed to providing LandCruiser 70 Series customers with greater flexibility and peace of mind.

"The upcoming changes are designed to ensure that the legendary LandCruiser 70 Series will continue to be available for the foreseeable future in the Australian market, where its popularity resulted in more than 13,900 sales last year," Mr Hanley said.

"The increase in GVM is sure to appeal to owners who use the 70 Series as a tool of trade or are seeking an even greater ability as a heavy duty recreational off roader.

"Combined with heavy-duty suspension and 3,500kg towing capacity, these upgrades will enhance the versatility and rugged reputation for this legendary vehicle," he said.

The LandCruiser 70 Series is powered by a strong 151kW/430Nm 4.5-litre V8 turbo diesel driving all four wheels through a dual-range transfer case.

Further details will be confirmed closer to the launch of the upgraded LandCruiser 70 Series.
Interesting.
This covers the 76 Wagon, 79 Single and 79 Dual cabs, but not the 78 Troopy, from my reading. Or is the Troopy a 'Wagon'? I would be surprised if they chose to differ the production line.

AEB is definitely nice to have, but one should not really be relying on it...but we are all humans and can make mistakes.

As previously noted in other chats and news, it looks like the increase in GVM is to bypass the need to modify the side intrusion ADR standards.

I think the 79 Single cab has all the 'safety package' to meet the main mining ANCAP requirements. I wonder how Toyota will do it? More leafs in the rear and stiffer coils in the front? I wonder if they would need to do more bracing? Minimum engineering and cost would be the target.

There were some rumours and chat about the engine being changed, but this was never really on the cards. Too much re-engineering for a vehicle that Toyota is just stretching the life out of the investment. Smart commercial decision really.

I'd still be happy to have either...but prefer the one that gets to me faster! Crazy times that result with me buying a vehicle that I have never driven. My bum is busting for that seat :)

linuxfan66

Actually this would be better read, we realized this was missing standard features at a premium price. Some of those features were required official or de facto (read insurance companies who won’t insure or punish new cars that lack these features) regulations. So we will out of the generousity of our heart make these feature available

LongRoad2Go

The more they charge for commonly accepted practices and old tech, the more I'm likely to look at competitors: Ineos and Mahindra.

They are out-pricing themselves regardless of historical attributes and mythology. Surely Toyota makes enough profit from other practices to improve the LC at near zero cost.

discomatt

I just wonder where a car with a big heavy and thirsty V8 will sit in the market in 5-10 years, times are changing fast and will get faster as the urgency to stop global warming increases without taking into account all the other short comings

G_ute

But the trend here seems to be larger and larger 4wd's with bigger engines. I see so many big new yank tanks now, not many people too concerned about their own greenhouse gas emmissions (let alone the emmisions in manufacturing it)
The Toyota V8 does not seem so big anymore.

boobook

The more they charge for commonly accepted practices and old tech, the more I'm likely to look at competitors: Ineos and Mahindra.

They are out-pricing themselves regardless of historical attributes and mythology. Surely Toyota makes enough profit from other practices to improve the LC at near zero cost.

Toyota puts the price up by about $2K every year. They throw in a few safety items every few years to keep it viable in the market.

They sell every single 70 series they can make on the production line, and then some. With a waiting list of at least 1 year and possibly 3 years, why on earth would they put the price down? Logic would tell you they are too cheap and they should put the price up till the waiting list goes back down.

Yep they are milking it. but that's what every single manufacturer would do given the opportunity.

If they put the price down then the waiting list could blow out to 5 years, or it would be unavailable. Then who wins?

They are not my cup of tea, but If I had a farm or remote business that required a dependable 4wd, I'd get in the queue. If you only drive in Toorak, cup holders are important. If you live on a farm 200km from the nearest coffee shop, you stop, take a break, and boil a billy. The thing is that it was designed for, and sold as, a commercial vehicle which it is. It's just so good at that, it attracts lots of recreational buyers who need similar traits.

Some Urban Picnic or winery tour grade 4wd will never cut the mustard when you need a 4wd to support your business day in day out. And if you do need that, a few $$ for something that doesn't sit in a workshop 400km away for half the time is a massive waste of money, though at least all the Mechanics trying to figure out what is wrong this time could park all their coffees at the same time.

Last edited:

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Funny about the knockers.
My Grandson, his mate and many others drive late model u beaut 4wd's.
And they all beg me to sell them my old Troopy.
Working on my daughter's property last week I had to shift the old girl for the tradies to get in and because I was busy I offered the keys to someone who could shift it for me.
Wrong move. I created a sh*t fight as to who was going to move it.
Bit like when I get me old Harley out and the young bikers ask for a ride swap.

GLee

Just saw this

Nothing special compared to other YouTube builds, but the order timing is most interesting (for LC78, GXL, Sandy Taupe - exactly like my order).

The YouTube couple ordered their LC78 in late August 2021 and had it delivered in November 2021 (time stamp 3min into video).
Wow. 2mths wait and they got it.
Doubt they laid their deposit before me, given their delivery and deposit timeframe of 2mths and Nov 2021 delivery.

*Looks like that should have been my LC78 (GXL Sandy Taupe)...given that the vehicle would have passed through Canberra to get it to Cooma. I would have been happy to collect it in Canberra and save Toyota the extra transportation costs to Cooma

This is the type of 'wait list' that fills me with dread. No transparency, which raises questions. Toyota Australia has a first-ordered-first-delivered policy...but is that real, and is it working?

The YouTube channel is not an "influencer" channel like ASPW/4xOverland, nor Ronny Dahl, 4WD 24-7 etc. so not a marketing preference allocation on Toyota Australia's part.

My first new car purchase experience has not been enjoyable. Thank heavens I do not rotate my vehicles that often.

linuxfan66

Just saw this

Nothing special compared to other YouTube builds, but the order timing is most interesting (for LC78, GXL, Sandy Taupe - exactly like my order).

The YouTube couple ordered their LC78 in late August 2021 and had it delivered in November 2021 (time stamp 3min into video).
Wow. 2mths wait and they got it.
Doubt they laid their deposit before me, given their delivery and deposit timeframe of 2mths and Nov 2021 delivery.

*Looks like that should have been my LC78 (GXL Sandy Taupe)...given that the vehicle would have passed through Canberra to get it to Cooma. I would have been happy to collect it in Canberra and save Toyota the extra transportation costs to Cooma

This is the type of 'wait list' that fills me with dread. No transparency, which raises questions. Toyota Australia has a first-ordered-first-delivered policy...but is that real, and is it working?

The YouTube channel is not an "influencer" channel like ASPW/4xOverland, nor Ronny Dahl, 4WD 24-7 etc. so not a marketing preference allocation on Toyota Australia's part.

My first new car purchase experience has not been enjoyable. Thank heavens I do not rotate my vehicles that often.
its still possible they got leverage from youtube though. i cant disagree with your concerns

Albynsw

They don’t have such a policy. The way it works is that you previous sales history dictates your allocations
If you traditionally say sold say 19% of the Corollas sold in the state then you will get 19% of the vehicles made allocated to your dealership providing they are sold whereas that same dealer who gets his hands on Corollas easily may be st the back of the queue for a 70 if they don’t normally sell them
The sales manager at the dealer I used is a big seller of 79’s so has the shortest waiting list but if you want to buy a Corolla off him you will wait longer than what you will at another dealer
He does stock swap deals all the time with another city dealer as a reciprocal arrangement to service his customer base

I understand why Toyota do this as it is not fair in these difficult times to allow the not so good dealers to get as much stock as the dealerships that have built up a larger business customer base over the years so it helps maintain the status quo

GLee

They don’t have such a policy. The way it works is that you previous sales history dictates your allocations
If you traditionally say sold say 19% of the Corollas sold in the state then you will get 19% of the vehicles made allocated to your dealership providing they are sold whereas that same dealer who gets his hands on Corollas easily may be st the back of the queue for a 70 if they don’t normally sell them
The sales manager at the dealer I used is a big seller of 79’s so has the shortest waiting list but if you want to buy a Corolla off him you will wait longer than what you will at another dealer
He does stock swap deals all the time with another city dealer as a reciprocal arrangement to service his customer base

I understand why Toyota do this as it is not fair in these difficult times to allow the not so good dealers to get as much stock as the dealerships that have built up a larger business customer base over the years so it helps maintain the status quo
Toyota Canberra advised of a priority list in difficult stock times. I thus said if there is controlled national order list based on order priority for the 70 series, and thus the 78, then ask the TMCA area manager where I am on that national list. Around 14,000 70 series units sold per year, and of that, approx 1,300 are LC78. Which should mean I would be up the front of the Aus queue...if there is a queue.

Similarly, I gave the dealership the YouTube video details noted, and asked them to request the same TMCA area manager to inform me what happened to the 'first-ordered-first-delivered' scenario? How can there be a national queue if I've just been 'trumped'.

Keen to hear the response.

GLee

I nearly shat myself.
Status changed!
Screenshot_20220525-125827_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220525-125852_Chrome.jpg

GLee

It is only 'planned build'...doesn't mean it will happen. Knowing my luck, it'll be delayed. This is just a teaser.