70 series production officially paused.

LongRoad2Go

Tongue In Cheek ?
Of course! Thanks.

Will take Albynsw question as rhetorical - in today's weird world, who know what will happen.

Worrying about the gun powder issue - so who supplies the Police and Military? Politicians: 'sorry chums, just use stern words against those foes.'

It smells like that company has a monopoly and wants more money. Maybe time to 'give them the bullet' and promote competition.

Krumpy

Of course! Thanks.

Will take Albynsw question as rhetorical - in today's weird world, who know what will happen.

Worrying about the gun powder issue - so who supplies the Police and Military? Politicians: 'sorry chums, just use stern words against those foes.'

It smells like that company has a monopoly and wants more money. Maybe time to 'give them the bullet' and promote competition.
I’d guess that police and military don’t reload their empties. La Niña does kind of make sense screwing with gunpowder production I guess all that moisture must make things harder

Albynsw

TIC?

Sorry, don't know that one ... if only you knew how many acronyms we're expected to remember at work, going to meetings is like learning a whole new language!

Yes I assumed your response was a joke (tongue in cheek) You think 70’s are expensive now, if they set up another plant here it would be cheaper to buy an Aston Martin

barcrusher

If they can afford to make them ( 79 series ) in Japan no reason they couldnt make them here. Less the price gouging of course,

GLee

I think that the global distribution from the factory is the challenge...country allocation. Thinking about logistics you would want the vehicles in the lot all going on a particular boat for a particular country/countries in that voyage route. That's why 'batching' works.

The factory is still producing with say a 25% per month shutdown (a week), so would expect that. But it feels extension in wait times is disproportionate. We are accustomed to better rapid service nowadays (Amazon, eBay etc).

Building vehicles in Australia...unlikely to ever happen again. Only subsidies could sustain the industry.

smitty_r51

Building vehicles in Australia...unlikely to ever happen again. Only subsidies could sustain the industry.
the existing industry.

instead we buy in trams, electric cars, submarines because we no longer have the skillsets...and who is to say what the next vehicle will be or how it will be built... given our abundance of raw materials we could have set ourselves up for the future

barcrusher

the existing industry.

instead we buy in trams, electric cars, submarines because we no longer have the skillsets...and who is to say what the next vehicle will be or how it will be built... given our abundance of raw materials we could have set ourselves up for the future
Unfortunatley true. We are not conditioned to change because its easy to stay where we are. we import doctors, dentists, engineers and so forth but no-one with business expertise to build up industry and manufacturing. To coin a phase from MAFS " he waits tables "

phs

If they can afford to make them ( 79 series ) in Japan no reason they couldnt make them here. Less the price gouging of course,
Watch this space,

surly car / engine manufacture is top of our government’s agenda now they want to make defense a priority after the split with China

Last edited:

Albynsw

Why would they want to make them here, if they planned to go offshore there are plenty of much more economical places to operate with cheaper logistics, labour and no industrial action issues.
That is why our industry has already left our shores.

linuxfan66

Why would they want to make them here, if they planned to go offshore there are plenty of much more economical places to operate with cheaper logistics, labour and no industrial action issues.
That is why our industry has already left our shores.
The only way they could bring car manufacturing back here is subsidies plus a minimum number of locally produced vehicles for any large scale manufacturers

GLee

It is now past 9mths. Still no build number. At this rate I could be receiving the 2023 model instead of the 2022.

The news is that a new 70 series would be coming out to meet new ADR compliance later in the year. Maybe I'll be getting one of those ...hope the modification bits I have purchased are still compatible.

joshinthecity

It is now past 9mths. Still no build number. At this rate I could be receiving the 2023 model instead of the 2022.

The news is that a new 70 series would be coming out to meet new ADR compliance later in the year. Maybe I'll be getting one of those ...hope the modification bits I have purchased are still compatible.
This coming Sunday I'll be at 12 mths since ordering my 76; and still no build number / date out of Japan. What I'm fully expecting to happen, is to receive a 2022 spec vehicle and then directly after, hear about the "new" model coming with upgraded chassis and GVM.
Or more likely hear about this "exciting news" once my 76 is on the boat on it's way here.
Eeyore.

Last edited:

GLee

This coming Sunday I'll be at 12 mths since ordering my 76; and still no build number / date out of Japan. What I'm fully expecting to happen, is to receive a 2022 spec vehicle and then directly after, hear about the "new" model coming with upgraded chassis and GVM.
Or more likely hear about this "exciting news" once my 76 is on the boat on it's way here.
OK you 'win' the longest wait time so far!
The 'exciting news' is more likely to happen to me instead of you.

Your order must have been 15/05/2021.
My order was 04/08/2021.
I wonder if there is anybody else waiting longer?

Upgraded GVM is not what I am after as I wouldn't carry near the limits. The ride would be too unforgiving. But if added safety on side intrusion happens, then my 'no cutting' speaker pods mod may not work.

I've seen a 'horrendous' mock up of a 2023 model...no thanks. There's something cool about the current 70 series front. Timeless really. Cannot stand the new-constant-facelift models that come out every couple of years.

Last edited:

barcrusher

Ordered mine on 8/3/2021. I have just received confirmation that the car is in transit from Japan. 14 Months. It will have the tray on by 3/6/2022, and be ready to be picked up after all mods have been done by 23/6/2022. I do here that any orders placed are a 2.5 yrs under current conditions wait. Anything ie parts coming out of China will cause further delays as Shanghai is under comlpete lock down. Mr Ping is a true Communist and does not care about capitalists or economies.

boobook

This article sounds like BS. Joshua Dowling has a history of clickbait, and I think he reads earth to get the most clickable stories. But don't hold your breath.

Hi Josh.

GLee

Ordered mine on 8/3/2021. I have just received confirmation that the car is in transit from Japan. 14 Months. It will have the tray on by 3/6/2022, and be ready to be picked up after all mods have been done by 23/6/2022. I do here that any orders placed are a 2.5 yrs under current conditions wait. Anything ie parts coming out of China will cause further delays as Shanghai is under comlpete lock down. Mr Ping is a true Communist and does not care about capitalists or economies is in transit so you have not received it. It is only complete when Toyota hands over the keys. Is the tray a Toyota one from the dealership, or after market? So, it is looking like 15.5mths.
It is still in transit so not yet received. Are you getting the tray from the Toyota dealership? Or aftermarket? Time to delivery only counts to time of keys being accepted for the completed order from dealership.

I am guessing other mods are not being done by Toyota, so does not count towards the time for dealership delivery of a drive away vehicle.

Guessing you are looking at 15.5mths or so.

Joshinthecity and I could be topping your record based on when orders were placed. 2023 model here we come.

Last edited:

Chatty

Hang on, you've ordered a 76 series and you're expecting a 2022 spec vehicle? Sorry, but all 76s are 1980 spec :D :rolleyes:

joshinthecity

Toyota Press Release 11MAY2022

TOYOTA BOOSTS SAFETY, INCREASES PAYLOAD FOR ICONIC LANDCRUISER 70 SERIES

**Safety performance benefits from addition of autonomous emergency braking**
**Higher gross vehicle mass allows greater payload**
**Upgraded range due to go on sale in November 2022**

Toyota is set to upgrade its iconic workhorse 4WD LandCruiser 70 Series with improvements to safety technology and an increase in gross vehicle mass (GVM), offering greater payload.

Due to arrive in November of 2022, the upgraded LandCruiser 70 Series pickup and wagon range benefits from the addition of a pre-collision safety system incorporating autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian and cyclist detection1.

This builds upon the already extensive safety technology that includes anti-lock braking, traction control, vehicle stability control and hill-start assist.

Design refinements have enabled Toyota to increase the GVM to more than 3,500kg, supporting useful increases in payload2 and taking the range from the light to the medium goods category.

Toyota Australia Vice President Sales, Marketing and Franchise Operations Sean Hanley said Toyota was committed to providing LandCruiser 70 Series customers with greater flexibility and peace of mind.

"The upcoming changes are designed to ensure that the legendary LandCruiser 70 Series will continue to be available for the foreseeable future in the Australian market, where its popularity resulted in more than 13,900 sales last year," Mr Hanley said.

"The increase in GVM is sure to appeal to owners who use the 70 Series as a tool of trade or are seeking an even greater ability as a heavy duty recreational off roader.

"Combined with heavy-duty suspension and 3,500kg towing capacity, these upgrades will enhance the versatility and rugged reputation for this legendary vehicle," he said.

The LandCruiser 70 Series is powered by a strong 151kW/430Nm 4.5-litre V8 turbo diesel driving all four wheels through a dual-range transfer case.

Further details will be confirmed closer to the launch of the upgraded LandCruiser 70 Series.

linuxfan66

Toyota Press Release 11MAY2022

TOYOTA BOOSTS SAFETY, INCREASES PAYLOAD FOR ICONIC LANDCRUISER 70 SERIES

**Safety performance benefits from addition of autonomous emergency braking**
**Higher gross vehicle mass allows greater payload**
**Upgraded range due to go on sale in November 2022**

Toyota is set to upgrade its iconic workhorse 4WD LandCruiser 70 Series with improvements to safety technology and an increase in gross vehicle mass (GVM), offering greater payload.

Due to arrive in November of 2022, the upgraded LandCruiser 70 Series pickup and wagon range benefits from the addition of a pre-collision safety system incorporating autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian and cyclist detection1.

This builds upon the already extensive safety technology that includes anti-lock braking, traction control, vehicle stability control and hill-start assist.

Design refinements have enabled Toyota to increase the GVM to more than 3,500kg, supporting useful increases in payload2 and taking the range from the light to the medium goods category.

Toyota Australia Vice President Sales, Marketing and Franchise Operations Sean Hanley said Toyota was committed to providing LandCruiser 70 Series customers with greater flexibility and peace of mind.

"The upcoming changes are designed to ensure that the legendary LandCruiser 70 Series will continue to be available for the foreseeable future in the Australian market, where its popularity resulted in more than 13,900 sales last year," Mr Hanley said.

"The increase in GVM is sure to appeal to owners who use the 70 Series as a tool of trade or are seeking an even greater ability as a heavy duty recreational off roader.

"Combined with heavy-duty suspension and 3,500kg towing capacity, these upgrades will enhance the versatility and rugged reputation for this legendary vehicle," he said.

The LandCruiser 70 Series is powered by a strong 151kW/430Nm 4.5-litre V8 turbo diesel driving all four wheels through a dual-range transfer case.

Further details will be confirmed closer to the launch of the upgraded LandCruiser 70 Series.
only now?