70 series production officially paused.

GLee

Looking at deliveries from orders placed around, or before my time, 8-10mths seems about the time frame. I have also been looking at Toyota Global factory production shutdowns...and all seems to be coming back on track so far. I was warned about the long lead times even before I placed the order. Should have placed order earlier, but expensive purchase decisions should always be properly considered/researched.

Albynsw

Looking at deliveries from orders placed around, or before my time, 8-10mths seems about the time frame. I have also been looking at Toyota Global factory production shutdowns...and all seems to be coming back on track so far. I was warned about the long lead times even before I placed the order. Should have placed order earlier, but expensive purchase decisions should always be properly considered/researched.

You will also find that dealers who traditionally sell more of a particular model get allocated more of that vehicle so have a shorter lead time than dealers who don’t
My local dealer was upfront and told me he was happy to take my order but there would be other dealers who you will get one from sooner.

It is worth the wait, you will love it.

GLee

I'm not sure how many 70s are sold in Canberra, but unlikely to be more than high-mining and agricultural dealers. Two dealerships in ACT but I think it is the same owner for both. No real choice unless one pays more for interstate rego, transfers etc (too much hassle). Not long to wait now.

Looking at history posts, and what my dealer tells me, once the vehicle has a production number (actually on the production line) it happens pretty fast, a bit over a month to deliver into Aus from Japan.

It is fast to build the vehicle, but logistics of shipping and landing is the kicker. I have a spare room full of car gear to install...I want my spare room back :)

The Troopy is the only vehicle that met all my needs, no other vehicle met all the mandatory criteria...effectively a highly capable 4x4 "van".

Never got a chance to test drive as nil in stock. The floor model in the dealership had already been sold, thus could not drive it. My suspicion is that it will drive like a Jeep Wrangler (which I had tested), vague steering that needs minor driving input corrections, and slow. Like a lumbering van. I generally know what to expect.

Albynsw

I'm not sure how many 70s are sold in Canberra, but unlikely to be more than high-mining and agricultural dealers. Two dealerships in ACT but I think it is the same owner for both. No real choice unless one pays more for interstate rego, transfers etc (too much hassle). Not long to wait now.

Looking at history posts, and what my dealer tells me, once the vehicle has a production number (actually on the production line) it happens pretty fast, a bit over a month to deliver into Aus from Japan.

It is fast to build the vehicle, but logistics of shipping and landing is the kicker. I have a spare room full of car gear to install...I want my spare room back :)

The Troopy is the only vehicle that met all my needs, no other vehicle met all the mandatory criteria...effectively a highly capable 4x4 "van".

Never got a chance to test drive as nil in stock. The floor model in the dealership had already been sold, thus could not drive it. My suspicion is that it will drive like a Jeep Wrangler (which I had tested), vague steering that needs minor driving input corrections, and slow. Like a lumbering van. I generally know what to expect.

That sounds about right, I think my dealer said they usually get the vehicle about 6 weeks after the production starts. What do you intend on using it for?

GLee

For travels (ski/board and MTB) with the ability to sleep inside with the bike and gear when the need arises.

Current Huundai Imax does this well but is not 4x4 and has limited off-road clearance.

I'll have more details in future YouTube video that I will share. I wouldn't want to deviate the thread subject.

I had a look at your delivery history to help me plan my Hyundai sell.

GLee

I double checked my contract order date =4 Aug 2021, with 8mth expected delivery. As of today it is 7.5mths elapsed. Still no production date.

I followed up with dealer today and got an email that I could expect a 4mth extended delay to inital estimate! That is 12mth wait for an order placed on 4 August 2021. I am unlikely to be able to use it the way I want before winter ends, especially having to fit it out for my needs. Not going to have the weekend time to finish the works (doing it myself), because I will be at the snow every weekend. Not happy.

Toyota Aus news on 12mth wait for orders placed now/today from dealership would be dubious at best. Most likely a 16mth real time wait, particularly if there is a global order backlog to get through. If mine is at 12mths, it can only get worse.

Dealership advised that Toyota Aus is committed to filling the orders by their order dates, particularly important when there are stock shortages.

I am considering my options at the moment. My brother has an early pre-order for the Ineos Grenadier, which I am considering taking (if it can arrive before the LC78). I would need to sell all the mod parts I have already purchased for the LC78. and the placed order (not to profit, but not to lose out).

First new car I have purchased and it is not an enjoyable experience so far. Just bummed.

Albynsw

I double checked my contract order date =4 Aug 2021, with 8mth expected delivery. As of today it is 7.5mths elapsed. Still no production date.

I followed up with dealer today and got an email that I could expect a 4mth extended delay to inital estimate! That is 12mth wait for an order placed on 4 August 2021. I am unlikely to be able to use it the way I want before winter ends, especially having to fit it out for my needs. Not going to have the weekend time to finish the works (doing it myself), because I will be at the snow every weekend. Not happy.

Toyota Aus news on 12mth wait for orders placed now/today from dealership would be dubious at best. Most likely a 16mth real time wait, particularly if there is a global order backlog to get through. If mine is at 12mths, it can only get worse.

Dealership advised that Toyota Aus is committed to filling the orders by their order dates, particularly important when there are stock shortages.

I am considering my options at the moment. My brother has an early pre-order for the Ineos Grenadier, which I am considering taking (if it can arrive before the LC78). I would need to sell all the mod parts I have already purchased for the LC78. and the placed order (not to profit, but not to lose out).

First new car I have purchased and it is not an enjoyable experience so far. Just bummed.

I get that it is disappointing for you but this is happening across all brands at the moment. New farm equipment and machinery is the same, I know guys that have been told a three year wait from order for a new header
Some euro cars have closed their plants because of the war

GLee

I get that it is disappointing for you but this is happening across all brands at the moment. New farm equipment and machinery is the same, I know guys that have been told a three year wait from order for a new header
Some euro cars have closed their plants because of the war
You're lucky you received your vehicle 'quickly'.

It would be horrible for those that rely on purchases for their work. I wonder how many people actually place an order for 'just in case', and then sell it without intention to hold onto it? Interesting situation.

I see a few brand new modified ones for sale (hardly any km) on carsales. Not sure how many would pay the premium to buy it now -businesses would have little choice...if you need it, then you need it.

For personal use, no way I'd pay the excessive premium for what is normally a depreciating asset. Many listed on carsales are already modified, which is more lifestyle rather than commercial use. Each to their own.

I think some shopping therapy will adjust my 'bummed' mood.

Last edited:

joshinthecity

You're lucky you received your vehicle 'quickly'.

It would be horrible for those that rely on purchases for their work. I wonder how many people actually place an order for 'just in case', and then sell it without intention to hold onto it? Interesting situation.

I see a few brand new modified ones for sale (hardly any km) on carsales. Not sure how many would pay the premium to buy it now -businesses would have little choice...if you need it, then you need it.

For personal use, no way I'd pay the excessive premium for what is normally a depreciating asset. Many listed on carsales are already modified, which is more lifestyle rather than commercial use. Each to their own.

I think some shopping therapy will adjust my 'bummed' mood.
GLee. I'm in the same boat with my 76 as you know.. (10 mths and no build slot) and also in the same boat with Grenadier (have a reservation).
From what I'm hearing around the traps, even with the extended wait time, our Cruisers will arrive well before a Grenadier will.
I'm looking at my Grenadier reservation as an insurance policy for the very unlikely event Toyota say, "over and out" with he 70 series all together.
Josh

boobook

I read the earthquake caused another stop in production across lots of cars including the 70 and 300. Just a week.

Maybe you guys are lucky. The 2022 70 series in the ME is shipping with LEDs in the DRL and mirror indicators, apple carplay and Android Auto, cool box, wireless charging, woodgrain and leather steering wheel and 2 cup holders. Shorties are shipping too.

Maybe the threat of Ineos has landed.

Toyota Australia will just do the DRLs so they can say they increased safety.

GLee

I read the earthquake caused another stop in production across lots of cars including the 70 and 300. Just a week.

Maybe you guys are lucky. The 2022 70 series in the ME is shipping with LEDs in the DRL and mirror indicators, apple carplay and Android Auto, cool box, wireless charging, woodgrain and leather steering wheel and 2 cup holders. Shorties are shipping too.

I haven't heard anything about DRLs for Aus 2022 70 series. Unlikely that Toyota AUS will change anything for 2022 model 70 series. There will be a broader change at end of year to meet new ADR, so unlikely that Toyota AUS would mess around now.

linuxfan66

I haven't heard anything about DRLs for Aus 2022 70 series. Unlikely that Toyota AUS will change anything for 2022 model 70 series. There will be a broader change at end of year to meet new ADR, so unlikely that Toyota AUS would mess around now.

to me this is an insult to the australian market. however DRLs are mandatory now on ADRs to my knowledge

barcrusher

Finally Ihave confirmation of a maufacture number date / date for my dual cab that will make it June pickup after all mods are installed. That will make it 14 months from order. It seems as though a bit of preferential treatment is going on from Toyota as to where its production models get sent to. Ive been told that if I were to order now it would be a 2 year wait which to me seems extroadinary. Apparently this is causing a far bit of animosity within the Toyota franchises all over Australia with a lot of dealers upset at this system. I for one am struggling to realize how it treats long serving dealerships and customers this way if this be the case, and if the time arose again would not consider Toyota as a reliable option when buying a new car. If this sort of thing can be let happen I wonder what will happen to spare parts etc if they contiue down this path and what sort of lies they are willing to dispense. Feeling a little annoyed sorry.

LongRoad2Go

Time for Toyota to get serious and reopen one of those closed factories in Australia to manufacture certain models here, for distribution to Oceania and Africa; or, to be left behind if/when INEOS gets themselves into gear.

Albynsw

Finally Ihave confirmation of a maufacture number date / date for my dual cab that will make it June pickup after all mods are installed. That will make it 14 months from order. It seems as though a bit of preferential treatment is going on from Toyota as to where its production models get sent to. Ive been told that if I were to order now it would be a 2 year wait which to me seems extroadinary. Apparently this is causing a far bit of animosity within the Toyota franchises all over Australia with a lot of dealers upset at this system. I for one am struggling to realize how it treats long serving dealerships and customers this way if this be the case, and if the time arose again would not consider Toyota as a reliable option when buying a new car. If this sort of thing can be let happen I wonder what will happen to spare parts etc if they contiue down this path and what sort of lies they are willing to dispense. Feeling a little annoyed sorry.

This was made clear to me when I enquired to buy another 70, my local dealer told me of the lead time and advised me to ring around as a bigger dealer who sells more 70’s would get one quicker.
The dealer I bought from traditionally sells a lot of 70 series so gets a bigger allocation each month but likewise he said they don’t sell many Corollas so said you would be better off buying a Corolla elsewhere and even told me what dealership would be the best for one
I think the reason Toyota does it is to try and help the dealers keep their traditional client target clientele. I can understand it can be frustrating but it is happening with all the brands and not a Toyota exclusive issue.
Good to hear yours is finally on its way , my mate picked up his new one last Friday

barcrusher

I wonder with fuel prices going the way they are and the conflicts going on between countries verbal as well as armed who would want to outlay any money to secure one if now is a 2 year wait for which turns out to be 2 and a 1/2. Meethinks this is the end of the line, mabe wrong but if it looks, smells and tastes like shit it usually is. When mine is driven away from the dealer it will be a min of 16 mths. 14 months to confirmation its going to production. A bit off topic but we have a similar situation with gun powder atm. The govnt told ADI australias gunpowder manufacturer to upgrade its facility to make it a more modern and safe company and buildings, so they did but in the proccess stopped making pistol powder and sited that due to the nature of pistol powder which is harder to manufacture to tight tolerences AND because of the effects of EL NINO made it hard to manufacture so they abandoned its manufacture for good. This has left thousands of pistol shooters without gunpowder to reload with. It seemed that a run down facility could produce pistol powder for 50 yrs but a new state of the art facility could not. EL NINO Pffft. Who was it that said " the times are a changin". Cheers