70 series production officially paused.

discomatt

It is driving straight in soft sand that you notice it, you can feel the arse end looking for a rut to sit in and switching sides. I did notice it in my current 79 and fitted different offset rims in the rear to fix it. I haven’t driven a 76 in those conditions but would imagine it is more pronounced with the shorter wheelbase. The vehicle definitely feels more settled with the correction
I have heard that it is a mandatory conversion on the cops vehicles in WA ?? as a safety enhancement feature
Massive safety and handling difference, years ago I blew up a diff ( don't ask how;)) in an V8 XB Falcon needed a replacement straight away and a mate had a diff from an earlier model but it was about 2 inches narrower, no worries I thought it will get me out of trouble and on the road.
It made the car corner like a piece of mmm well can't say what I was thinking it may upset someone so what did it handle like that people will understand?
I know, a 79 LC.
I swoped the diff out with the correct unit a couple of weeks later and handling was good again, with the narrow diff it cornered horribly and felt unsafe compared to the correct track.
I would assume that rule of physics would apply to all cars

boobook

Matt, I'm fine with your posts, I even requested that some of my old posts are deleted. The mods are icompletely inconsistant on that point and I can't find any policy. It seems that deletion is more based on editorial content.

joshinthecity

Alby, that matt black paint on your barwork is the ballz. I'm not doing side rails on mine, but the bar (and it's finishing against the sandy taupe) solidifies my decision. Beautiful truck mate.

sharkcaver

It is driving straight in soft sand that you notice it, you can feel the arse end looking for a rut to sit in and switching sides. I did notice it in my current 79 and fitted different offset rims in the rear to fix it. I haven’t driven a 76 in those conditions but would imagine it is more pronounced with the shorter wheelbase. The vehicle definitely feels more settled with the correction
I have heard that it is a mandatory conversion on the cops vehicles in WA ?? as a safety enhancement feature
Ahh ok, a wiggly backside. I can get that.
I always thought it was due to a perceived "traction" issue in sand.
That's a lot of coin though for a minor inconvenience isnt it?

Albynsw

Ahh ok, a wiggly backside. I can get that.
I always thought it was due to a perceived "traction" issue in sand.
That's a lot of coin though for a minor inconvenience isnt it?

I can’t see it having any effect on traction but the vehicle definitely feels more settled with the matching track which I am sure you can appreciate with the type of touring you do.
On my current 79 I just ran different offset Sunnies so the cost was negligible. Seeing as though I am starting from scratch with this new rig I did the conversion while I had my wallet open
When setting one of these things up you feel like Oprah throwing money into the audience :confused:

Last edited:

joshinthecity

I can’t see it having any effect on traction but the vehicle definitely feels more settled with the matching track which I am sure you can appreciate with the type of touring you do.
On my current 79 I just ran different offset Sunnies so the cost was negligible. Seeing as though I am starting from scratch with this new rig I did the conversion while had i my wallet open
When setting one of these things up you feel like Oprah throwing money into the audience :confused:
Did you carry 2 spares Alby?
Re throwing money. I think of it like building a house (which I am also doing) Everything is now considered by us in units of 5k. The unfortunate truth... #2minnoodlesfordinner

Albynsw

Did you carry 2 spares Alby?
Re throwing money. I think of it like building a house (which I am also doing) Everything is now considered by us in units of 5k. The unfortunate truth... #2minnoodlesfordinner

I used to carry two but comfortable with one for the last 5 or so years. I just carry a zero offset wheel as it can work on the front or the back and will happily get me to the next tyre repair place to get my neg 50 rim back up and running
The biggest hassle with running two different offsets is you can’t rotate your tyres and the rears wear quicker than the fronts

Albynsw

Picked up my new dinosaur yesterday, feels fresh compared to my old one but overall same same. It was a lot more comfortable driving home without having to sit on my bulging wallet though :confused:

39A13896-8F9A-4173-91AD-84A418D1F3F0.jpeg

cam04

Picked up my new dinosaur yesterday, feels fresh compared to my old one but overall same same. It was a lot more comfortable driving home without having to sit on my bulging wallet though :confused:

View attachment 72754
Is that a little headboard tank filler I see there? If I was in the market my order wouldn’t look much different to that at all.

Albynsw

Is that a little headboard tank filler I see there? If I was in the market my order wouldn’t look much different to that at all.

Yes I incorporated a headboard water tank, only holds 35 litres but that is nearly two jerrycans I don’t need to carry. On the other side I have my twin fuel fillers as I fitted a 110 litre long range tank plus my 130 litre OEM tank
17D591B7-4113-4B12-BA10-3A82DDD29F70.jpeg

cam04

Yes I incorporated a headboard water tank, only holds 35 litres but that is nearly two jerrycans I don’t need to carry. On the other side I have my twin fuel fillers as I fitted a 110 litre long range tank plus my 130 litre OEM tank
View attachment 72765
Perfect. 35 is a lot more than zero when you’re looking for it. With all that diesel weight nice and low you’ll be able to drive in Scandinavia!