70 series production officially paused.

linuxfan66

My research skills need improvement.

Did you know Toyota Group has its own ships? Just found that out.

-Toyofuji Shipping (TFS). Toyota has multiple ships (Trans Future 5,6,7, and New Century 2). Such boring names!

It can get confusing when you can name any ship whatever you want and have similar routes. For example, K-Line has Toyota Maru vessel and others.

It makes sense that Toyota would get into the vehicle shipping business.

More searching under TFS gives the following schedule.

This is what happens when Toyota removes my self-service tracking…I have too much inquisitiveness…cannot sit idly by…it doesn’t make a world of difference as the vehicle will get here when it gets here.

May have to give my Toyota retention manager a call to see if they can see any updated shipping details. They tell me there is a LC300 that I can test drive, but delivery is minimum 3yrs (so the dealership rumour goes), but I think it will be closer to 4-5yrs personally. Crazy to be thinking about a future vehicle that far out.

Chips from Taiwan -Everybody should be hoping that the situation there calms down.

Stuff from China is also impacted (input plastics and production pieces).

I am pleased that I am nearly at the end of the tunnel (Part 1). Part 2 is getting the time to do my own build. Nobody will build the vehicle to the same standard as oneself. I’ll probably take a week off work to do what I need to do to the vehicle, and then start planning a holiday up to QLD.
korea and japan have mega integrated industrial groups as the norm

GLee

My guess with TFS is most likely correct. Could be on New Century 2 vessel arriving in Port Kembla on 6 August.
Got the below notification just then.
Screenshot_20220722-100054_Outlook.jpg

Let's hope COVID-19 cases in Australia doesn't result with more shutdowns.

GLee

How many times can I be wrong? Apparently quite a lot.

Well, when I estimated that my LC78 was on the vessel New Century 2, it was based on delayed dealership update notification, which messed up my investigation.

I should have just asked the Toyota dealer which ship the car was on (they have the details). Would have saved a lot of time.

The LC78 was on vessel Gravity Highway…and guess what?...it docked at Port Kembla on Wednesday 3 Aug. Gravity Highway has already departed Port Kembla for Melbourne.

This means my vehicle is on the docks. 3 days earlier than my mistaken anticipated delivery…I’ll take that. It has been more than 12mths.

If it clears Customs quickly (cannot jam up the docks) and given the well-oiled machine the whole process is, and that Port Kembla is only a few of hours’ drive from Canberra, the vehicle should be at the dealership by next week.

I chatted to my Toyota Retention Manager, and all is set (towbar is on stock) and once the vehicle is delivered to the dealership, it is scheduled for prep (unwrapped, cleaned, bits bolted on), full tanks of fuel, towbar installed, registered. Shouldn’t take more than a few days. In 2wks hopefully I’ll have the keys.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.
Now to get myself full prepared.
-Revisit my insurance quote.
-List my beautiful 2018 Hyundai Imax Elite for sale.
-Organise for some time off work to build out the vehicle. 1wk should do the trick. Plan in some stretching time...don't want to tweak the back.

Last edited:

boobook

Interesting.

Hilux is now outselling Ranger 2:1 at about 6500 a month.

Hilux's, 300's, Prado's and 70's are selling as high as ever ( inc the 200).

Is this a supply problem or a demand problem, or is Toyota making supply sound worse than it is? Do people really have to wait these times?

1. Toyota HiLux – 6441
  2. Ford Ranger – 2934
  3. Toyota RAV4 – 2437
  4. Mazda CX-5 – 2346
  5. Hyundai Tucson – 2186
  6. Toyota Corolla – 1982
  7. Isuzu D-Max – 1930
  8. Mitsubishi Triton – 1879
  9. Kia Sportage – 1837
  10. Toyota Kluger – 1766
  11. Hyundai i30 – 1758
  12. Mitsubishi Outlander – 1310
  13. Nissan X-Trail – 1269
  14. MG ZS – 1229
  15. Mazda CX-30 – 1226
  16. Toyota Camry – 1222
  17. Toyota Landcruiser Wagon – 1171
  18. Toyota Prado – 1047
  19. Toyota LandCruiser C/C – 975
  20. Mazda CX-3 – 962

cam04

I would think that sale rate against the ranger has everything to do with people waiting on the new ranger v6. Why would you buy the old one at the moment
The hero model rangers (XLT and higher) should belt the higher model hilux with the v6. The chassis would want to be something special to take over in the working classes with the 2.0 litre 10 speed that nobody loves. I hope for ford’s sake they got it right enough. More players in the market is good and they have taken a different path to the asian brands.

GLee

Car arrived at 'sister' Fyshwick ACT dealership on Friday 19 Aug.
Pre-delivery will be completed by end Wednesday 24 August.
Gets transported from Fyshwick to the Woden ACT dealership (where I placed my order)...which could arrive late in the day. Guaranteed for Friday collection.

I said why not collect at from Fyshwick to save dealership transportation costs?..but could not as no sales rep available...not sure why the sales rep needs to be there as the sale has already been made...maybe just to provide the 'new ownership' handover experience.

They said what time I'd like to come and collect it.
Friday 26 Aug is going to be a good day at 9:00am, when they open :)

It would be 12mths 22 days...let's say 13mths!

Last edited:

Garry grewal

Just saw this

Nothing special compared to other YouTube builds, but the order timing is most interesting (for LC78, GXL, Sandy Taupe - exactly like my order).

The YouTube couple ordered their LC78 in late August 2021 and had it delivered in November 2021 (time stamp 3min into video).
Wow. 2mths wait and they got it.
Doubt they laid their deposit before me, given their delivery and deposit timeframe of 2mths and Nov 2021 delivery.

*Looks like that should have been my LC78 (GXL Sandy Taupe)...given that the vehicle would have passed through Canberra to get it to Cooma. I would have been happy to collect it in Canberra and save Toyota the extra transportation costs to Cooma

This is the type of 'wait list' that fills me with dread. No transparency, which raises questions. Toyota Australia has a first-ordered-first-delivered policy...but is that real, and is it working?

The YouTube channel is not an "influencer" channel like ASPW/4xOverland, nor Ronny Dahl, 4WD 24-7 etc. so not a marketing preference allocation on Toyota Australia's part.

My first new car purchase experience has not been enjoyable. Thank heavens I do not rotate my vehicles that often.
I booked sandy Taupe Gxl Troopy on 20th Sept 2021from Melbourne. No updates from Toyota. Their customer service isn’t good. They called me once to update that they have no updates about my order but they did tell me the waiting time is 18 months when i made the booking. I guess they might give me an update once 18 months have passed.

Garry grewal

Car arrived at 'sister' Fyshwick ACT dealership on Friday 19 Aug.
Pre-delivery will be completed by end Wednesday 24 August.
Gets transported from Fyshwick to the Woden ACT dealership (where I placed my order)...which could arrive late in the day. Guaranteed for Friday collection.

I said why not collect at from Fyshwick to save dealership transportation costs?..but could not as no sales rep available...not sure why the sales rep needs to be there as the sale has already been made...maybe just to provide the 'new ownership' handover experience.

They said what time I'd like to come and collect it.
Friday 26 Aug is going to be a good day at 9:00am, when they open :)

It would be 12mths 22 days...let's say 13mths!
May i ask how much time did dealership quote when you placed the order for troopy? Like in my case they said 18 month. Do they arrive before that time frame?

cam04

..not sure why the sales rep needs to be there as the sale has already been made...maybe just to provide the 'new ownership' handover experience.
There’s 20 minutes you’ll never get back. Can you even pair a phone with a 70? That’s mainly what happens.

GLee

May i ask how much time did dealership quote when you placed the order for troopy? Like in my case they said 18 month. Do they arrive before that time frame?
I made the deposit on 4 August 2021. Advised that it would take 8mths. The dealership was able to get a white coloured Troopy in Feb (cancelled customer), but at that time there was nil delay, I decided to wait for the Taupe...but more delays eventuated.

GLee

I booked sandy Taupe Gxl Troopy on 20th Sept 2021from Melbourne. No updates from Toyota. Their customer service isn’t good. They called me once to update that they have no updates about my order but they did tell me the waiting time is 18 months when i made the booking. I guess they might give me an update once 18 months have passed.
Talk to your Customer Retention Manager for updates (since Toyota removed self-service tracking). They can provide monthly updates...

Garry grewal

Talk to your Customer Retention Manager for updates (since Toyota removed self-service tracking). They can provide monthly updates...
Yes i have spoken with one of the sales staff there who organised the initial booking of the car. but also they got no clue when it will arrive.

Garry grewal

I made the deposit on 4 August 2021. Advised that it would take 8mths. The dealership was able to get a white coloured Troopy in Feb (cancelled customer), but at that time there was nil delay, I decided to wait for the Taupe...but more delays eventuated.
Thanks for your reply. Wish you all the best for new Troopy. And you have done a very good research over past months. Helpful.

GLee

Yes i have spoken with one of the sales staff there who organised the initial booking of the car. but also they got no clue when it will arrive.
Tough for dealerships to give update when there is no real updates happening on their systems. It's a waiting game.

Albynsw

There’s 20 minutes you’ll never get back. Can you even pair a phone with a 70? That’s mainly what happens.

Lol
A young inexperienced salesgirl did my handover
After she spent less than a minute explaining the workings and features of the vehicle I asked her to go over it again because it was information overload hahahaha
I then proceeded to ask her how do I activate the heated seats and where is the switch for adjusting the side mirrors? and put on the dissapointed face when told they don’t have them
The wife then whacked me in the back of the head and told me to leave her alone and let’s go :D

GLee

Good work by the dealership to turn my vehicle around so quickly. Sold my 2018 Hyundai Imax Elite (only 27K km) on Wed 24 Aug, and then got Troopy Fri 26 Aug. Only 1 day without a vehicle. Timing couldn't have been better.

Also placed a deposit for an LC300 GXL

Troopy drives good, and the handbrake is SOLID!

Attachments

• 20220826_091852.jpg
    20220826_091852.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
Last edited: