70 series production officially paused.

GLee

You wouldn't believe it. Another month delay.
BUT, it is no longer scheduled for production...it is 'in production'.

I could have had a white Troopy back in October/November 2021! I turned that option down at the time to wait for a Sandy Taupe in possible March 2022. How the cards have played out.

I didn't want an 'ambulance or mine' vehicle ...but the wait has been horrendous. It'll be 13mths wait compared to what could have been a 2-3mth wait...all for a colour...but a cool, higher-resale value colour instead...oh the wait!

Until it is in my hands, the wait clock is still ticking.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220712-153516_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220712-153516_Chrome.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 18

cam04

You wouldn't believe it. Another month delay.
BUT, it is no longer scheduled for production...it is 'in production'.

I could have had a white Troopy back in October/November 2021! I turned that option down at the time to wait for a Sandy Taupe in possible March 2022. How the cards have played out.

I didn't want an 'ambulance or mine' vehicle ...but the wait has been horrendous. It'll be 13mths wait compared to what could have been a 2-3mth wait...all for a colour...but a cool, higher-resale value colour instead...oh the wait!

Until it is in my hands, the wait clock is still ticking.
Great choices, ambo, mine truck or taliban taupe…. Do they still do green ones?

GLee

Great choices, ambo, mine truck or taliban taupe…. Do they still do green ones?
Troopy comes in white (vanilla), "Taliban Taupe" and Navy Blue. No green or other colours such as grey.

For me, Taliban Taupe is classic and best resale value.

I was surprised to see so many Troopys at the Perisher carpark. Everyone has the same idea.

Albynsw

Taupe looks sick on a troopie I remember a nicely setup troopie tourer that was called the Camel
Saw a 76 yesterday that had the number plate Tin Box :p

GLee

Today that tracking portal was shutdown. No replacement website.
At least I caught that latest update before it closed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220713-145449_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220713-145449_Chrome.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 14

discomatt

Today that tracking portal was shutdown. No replacement website.
At least I caught that latest update before it closed.
Maybe they pinched some parts from the server for the tracking system to build one extra car to try and increase cash flow.
Here we are complaining about the car issue, there will be much bigger things at play in another year or 2

boobook

It's the only vehicle ever made that actually looks good in Beige.

Err I mean Sandy Taupe.

It's like the old Mustard Yellow (Camino Gold?) with a white roof on the old series Land Rovers.

Last edited:

GLee

I'm personally not a fan of the mustard yellow colour. It looks like the combination or pee and diarrhoea. Each to their own.
Probably closer colour to durian. Not exactly a premium marketing colour.

The white roof is nice. Others also apply it nicely (Kombi vans).

Last edited:

GLee

Mine just turned up 16 mths wait and no price increase which is great. Even the had to wait an extra week for the cab guard to get fabricated. View attachment 73974
Sweet grey colour. That would have been a good Troopy colour.
Looks like a real work vehicle...no canopy...you know that you are letting the side down without the lifts and canopy :)

barcrusher

Sweet grey colour. That would have been a good Troopy colour.
Looks like a real work vehicle...no canopy...you know that you are letting the side down without the lifts and canopy :)
No money left lol but canvas canopy and rack next. Just have to wait for the BAS money to hit the account

GLee

Easy to find info on the www.

-I am expecting that the vehicle (which commenced production on Wed 13 July) will be built within a week. It takes up to 30hrs to build a vehicle on a production line (for complex vehicles). This is not a complex vehicle.

-To make the delivery date of 23 August 2023 to the Canberra dealership, the vehicle will have to be onboard the K Line vessel Athens Highway (9443073).

-Looking at the Toyota shipping schedule (K-Line), and the vehicle port of disembarkation is Port Kembla, then the vehicle will arrive into Port Kembla on 8 August. It would then be Customs cleared and delivered from Port Kembla to Canberra.
Kline scheduleJPG.JPG

-Athens Highway is anticipated to arrive into Singapore on 23/07/2022 (current AIS tracking).
AISJPG.JPG

-It should take around 8 days from Singapore to Japan (the long way home)…must be filling up an empty ship when heading back.

-That gives it 8 days from Japan to Port Kembla (more direct route).
KLine Route.jpg

So, the vehicle has ample time to be built and be on docks for Athens Highway ship departure by 31 July.

I have some confidence that the vehicle will arrive in time, this time around. Unlikely to be delayed, unless the ship sinks, or more COVID-19 shutdowns.

GLee

Easy to find info on the www.

-I am expecting that the vehicle (which commenced production on Wed 13 July) will be built within a week. It takes up to 30hrs to build a vehicle on a production line (for complex vehicles). This is not a complex vehicle.

-To make the delivery date of 23 August 2023 to the Canberra dealership, the vehicle will have to be onboard the K Line vessel Athens Highway (9443073).

-Looking at the Toyota shipping schedule (K-Line), and the vehicle port of disembarkation is Port Kembla, then the vehicle will arrive into Port Kembla on 8 August. It would then be Customs cleared and delivered from Port Kembla to Canberra.
View attachment 73978

-Athens Highway is anticipated to arrive into Singapore on 23/07/2022 (current AIS tracking).
View attachment 73979

-It should take around 8 days from Singapore to Japan (the long way home)…must be filling up an empty ship when heading back.

-That gives it 8 days from Japan to Port Kembla (more direct route).
View attachment 73980

So, the vehicle has ample time to be built and be on docks for Athens Highway ship departure by 31 July.

I have some confidence that the vehicle will arrive in time, this time around. Unlikely to be delayed, unless the ship sinks, or more COVID-19 shutdowns.
My mistake. The Athens Highway vessel services Toyota vehicles built in Thailand.
KLine.JPG

It is the Beluga Ace vessel that will be servicing Yokohama for the next departure. It departs on 22 July and arrives in Port Kembla on 7 August. It is going to be tight for the build schedule to meet that voyage. I suspect it will miss that voyage…need time for the Taliban Taupe paint to dry properly, and the vehicle to pass QA and export paperwork.

There appears to be a lot of vessels servicing Japan – East Australia. Maybe another one is planned within 7 days after Beluga Ace departure?

Well, with the ACT planning to phase out the purchase of new ICE vehicles by 2035…my LC78 will hold its value well in 13yrs time for resale. Better make that deposit for the 2035 LC78 EV model that will have 900kg payload, 3,500kg towing, cavernous ‘van space’ and range of 1,000km, at the same price (adjusted for inflation). Better put that deposit down now so that Toyota has time to build that vehicle (get enough chips and lithium batteries).

Everybody better get that dream outback/QLD holidays done in time, because when full EVs are the only option…we’ll need to breed camels to do those trips. Or the new potential business of rental generator and fuel for once-off infrequent trips (to charge the EV)…rent on a trailer?

GLee

I know you are intrigued by my investigative skills to fill in the time…a little further research:

Toyota Yoshiwara Plant is near Nagoya Port. Yokohama Port is more than 300km from the Toyota Yoshiwara Plant.

It would make sense that Toyota would do most of its shipping from Nagoya.

Latest K-Line update shows there is a magical Viking Coral vessel departing Nagoya on 27 July and arriving in port Kembla 11 August. This seems like the reasonable ship to carry my LC78, when the Toyota site indicated delivery by 23 Aug in Canberra.

That is all assuming that Toyota is using K-Line, and not one of its other shipping partners.

‘Viking Coral’ sounds like a good vessel name…Viking (= strong) + Coral (= sinking hazard) = Viking Coral (Strong through/in sinking hazard). This bodes well for delivery

Damn you Toyota, give me back my self-service portal!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 4

boobook

I'd be more worried about the logistics of the ship bringing the semiconductors from Taiwan to Nagoya over the next 3 or 4 months or not.

:eek:

GLee

My research skills need improvement.

Did you know Toyota Group has its own ships? Just found that out.

-Toyofuji Shipping (TFS). Toyota has multiple ships (Trans Future 5,6,7, and New Century 2). Such boring names!

It can get confusing when you can name any ship whatever you want and have similar routes. For example, K-Line has Toyota Maru vessel and others.

It makes sense that Toyota would get into the vehicle shipping business.

More searching under TFS gives the following schedule.

This is what happens when Toyota removes my self-service tracking…I have too much inquisitiveness…cannot sit idly by…it doesn’t make a world of difference as the vehicle will get here when it gets here.

May have to give my Toyota retention manager a call to see if they can see any updated shipping details. They tell me there is a LC300 that I can test drive, but delivery is minimum 3yrs (so the dealership rumour goes), but I think it will be closer to 4-5yrs personally. Crazy to be thinking about a future vehicle that far out.

Chips from Taiwan -Everybody should be hoping that the situation there calms down.

Stuff from China is also impacted (input plastics and production pieces).

I am pleased that I am nearly at the end of the tunnel (Part 1). Part 2 is getting the time to do my own build. Nobody will build the vehicle to the same standard as oneself. I’ll probably take a week off work to do what I need to do to the vehicle, and then start planning a holiday up to QLD.

Attachments

• TFS.JPG
    TFS.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 10
  • TFS2.JPG
    TFS2.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 10