70 series production officially paused.

joshinthecity

Email from Toyota after waiting over 3 mths. since signing for my 76. I didn't contact them at all, this just arrived in my inbox.

"New Vehicle delivery Outlook":
"Our team apologies for the delay in delivering your vehicle and understands the frustrations this can cause.
Toyota Australia has just been advised that production of your vehicle has been delayed due to plant shutdowns in Japan caused by part shortages resulting from Covid-19 restrictions in SE Asia"

Apologies for this delay, we will do our best etc etc...

I'm on the verge of taking a Prado GXL

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 11.03.32 am.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 11.03.32 am.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 82

Rags90mod

My partner and I were told we'd be up for a 6-9 month wait for a new Prado a couple of months ago, but then we got bloody lucky that a fleet order was cancelled when the cars were already on the boat over so we pick up the new car when we get back from our honeymoon in a couple of weeks. Feel for all you guys who were already waiting months before the covid shutdowns in Japan

joshinthecity

I have a line on a 2021 white Prado GXL (150L fuel capacity / 500nm version) that I can have next week. They are a great vehicle.
I'm seriously considering it. My dealer is cool enough to hold it for me for a day or 2 while I decide what to do.
The problem is, knowing myself. I have always wanted a 76, and no matter how awesome a Prado build could (can) be. The Prado just doesn't excite me in the way a 76 build does. Maybe I'm crazy.....

I worry I will always wish I waited for my 76. (even though the "build" to get it where I eventually want it will be substantially bigger than a Prado would). Prado's have matching f&r wheel tracks. Can you imagine such a thing !
I have finite funds, so if I spend on the Prado, that's my 76 money I'm spending. I can't do both.

The potential continuing open-ended wait for the 76 is the problem. There's no ETA. It could be 4 more months, it could be 8, they could use the opportunity of the production shut down to end the 70. Who the hell knows what's happening?
I'm seriously struggling to make a sensible decision.

Last edited:

Rags90mod

The only reason we're going a Prado is the wife to be needs 7 seats for her family daycare business. It's a very reluctant sale of my 76 I tell you. If you've always wanted a 76 and feel like you'll forever be thinking the "what if's" etc, then maybe it's better to hold out for it. I absolutely love my 76 there's no doubt about it

Albynsw

If you have your heart set on a 76 I would wait if you can.
I made that mistake before buying a car that was convenient but really wanted a different one, it used to churn my guts every time I saw one. 12 months later I traded in for the one I wanted in the first place. Lesson learned…….

joshinthecity

I know you're right. I'm a do it once, do it right kind of guy usually.
Long ETA I was prepared for. No ETA and production paused. This is challenging me.

Skurfer

Probably worth just keeping an eye on the second hand market, and paying overs just to get one now and move on with your life. Won't be brand new but to me that would be nicer starting a build now than waiting 12 months to do it. At least pull get to enjoy it quicker, and you'll quite quickly forget the extra you are paying for it in covid times when the build invoices start to flow in.

LongRoad2Go

Hopefully they're back in production (or STILL in production) come 2024 when I intend to buy the 79 Series.

One things for certain: the current production pause isn't due to the availability of chips - the 79 Series is still running pre-20th Century gear! ;)

(That's why I love them.)

boobook

Email from Toyota after waiting over 3 mths. since signing for my 76. I didn't contact them at all, this just arrived in my inbox.

"New Vehicle delivery Outlook":
"Our team apologies for the delay in delivering your vehicle and understands the frustrations this can cause.
Toyota Australia has just been advised that production of your vehicle has been delayed due to plant shutdowns in Japan caused by part shortages resulting from Covid-19 restrictions in SE Asia"

Apologies for this delay, we will do our best etc etc...

I'm on the verge of taking a Prado GXL

I love that notice they sent you. They nicely tell you that they have no idea when you will get the car you ordered, then at the bottom say " Oh What a Feeling"

Oh what a shitty feeling!

Albynsw

The upside of course is that you will get some new “ old fashion” parts in your new vehicle :p

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Good onya. No point in buying any other make believe 4wd on the market. I mean the ones that keep making them with bits of other's parts, actually cloning them and then calling them there own makes. :eek:.
Have anyone given up on buying a Ford/Amarok/Mazda/Nissan/Isuzu model yet?;)

joshinthecity

Good onya. No point in buying any other make believe 4wd on the market. I mean the ones that keep making them with bits of other's parts, actually cloning them and then calling them there own makes. :eek:.
Have anyone given up on buying a Ford/Amarok/Mazda/Nissan/Isuzu model yet?;)
The MU-X was actually going to be an option. There is stock available of those as well. White base LS-M.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Now that is just fanciful thinking and you are setting the poor bloke up for disappointment :p
Besides most 70 owners don’t even need cup holders , we like to just hold our longnecks when we drive.
Troopy owner here. Drink coffee be damned. Stubbie holder hangs off the door. Coffee? I feel sick. Hurry, pass me another stubbie.