70 Series handbrake and brakes

GLee

1) Is the handbrake really that rubbish?
I have never experienced handbrake issues on any previous vehicles I have owned (non Toyota vehicles), so keen to know if it is true or false for the 70 series?

Are people just trying to sell stuff? Or is it ‘taking-the-piss’ like how people take-the-piss on Landrover owners?

I do park on steep terrain when needed, and I wouldn’t want my vehicle rolling down a hill*. I was taught good practise for manual transmission vehicles to always park with 1st gear engaged…sucker is unlikely to move without the hand of God.

Is the handbrake fix just an issue with improper adjustment? Or will a simple longer dogbone fix it? A simple dogbone fix would not require engineering sign-off.

*News worthy – “Possessed Troopy hunts down pedestrians on local hill”

2) What about the stock brakes?
Are they spongy or only turn spongy after you have say 4-5 heavy braking applications (as in race course)?

Maybe 6-pot callipers on all corners? Why not…its only money.

As soon as you change the brake booster, or brake components, it needs engineering sign-off (in ACT anyway).

If I must visit an engineer then I want to make sure I have made all the modifications beforehand, then visit the engineer once only.

Sometimes I wonder if I have just ordered a death-box on wheels?
Maybe I can organise a recall from a safety perspective. Failed handbrake can kill a child at a school carpark. Won’t anyone think of the children?..they are the future…but not if they are standing in front of an LC70 on a hill…

I can't speak for 70 Series but the handbrake on my 80 Series is non-existant. My mechanic always adjusts it though... bless him. It works for a day or two after adjustment but then stops working again.

Essentially it has no handbrake. I still pull the lever up whenever I park just out of habit but the slightest incline causes it to roll. Of course I park it in gear wherever I go... even on flat ground. If left on the handbrake and out of gear you could easily push it down the road.

Last edited:

GLee

So, 1st gear plus low range is the trick.
Primary reason to have a transfer case is to have a reliable handbrake.
The children will be saved. Global humanitarian award coming our way soon.

Triton14

I can't speak for 70 Series but the handbrake on my 80 Series is non-existant. My mechanic always adjusts it though... bless him. It works for a day or two after adjustment but then stops working again.

Essentially it has no handbrake. I still pull the lever up whenever I park just out of habit but the slightest incline causes it to roll. Of course I park it in gear wherever I go... even of flat ground. If left on the handbrake and out of gear you could easily push it down the road.
:oops:that your happy with it like that.

:oops:that your happy with it like that.
Eh. What can you do. They're all like that. There are aftermarket options available but they're expensive. And honestly I never, ever park it out of gear anyway so it's no really an issue.

There are occasions where I may need to stop and clear a branch off a track or whatever, that I would prefer to have a handbrake and leave the car running but not a big deal. I don't know anyone with an older LandCruiser that has a functional handbrake. I just see it as a quirk.

Albynsw

The brakes on your vehicle will be fine and a big improvement on the earlier models which some fitted aftermarket boosters on
The handbrake however is ok ish as long as you keep it adjusted which it needs at each service
I still leave vehicle in gear whenever I get out of it just the same

Albynsw

Is that why Toyota recommends 6mth service schedule...so they can readjust the handbrake

Hahaha
Funny you say that, I am sitting in a Cafe now in Broome while I get my 20k service done at the local Dealership

GLee

Hahaha
Funny you say that, I am sitting in a Cafe now in Broome while I get my 20k service done at the local Dealership
20K km...I do that normally in 2yrs!
With my holiday plans I may push it to 15K km in a year.

GLee

My new 79 wont budge with the handbrake on. Brakes are a bit on the slow side though but you soon get used to it.
I don't know how much truth there is in this observation.
Next you'll be saying that:
-terrorists do not like LC70s,
-LC70s are fuel efficient and comfortable,
-and the biggest furphy...Landrovers are reliable :po_O
{that noted..."no handbrake is a quirk"...has us beat}

Need not worry, I'll seek the truth when I pick up the stock vehicle. At the dealership I'll give is a nudge (hand of God).

In Kenobi it should have been scripted:

“You didn't kill Anakin Skywalker, I did.” to​

“You didn't kill Landrover, Toyota did.”​

That's my enjoyment for the night. :D
Time to go to the ski fields.

Rusty Panels

I find it hard to believe that any of them are rubbish. I have had cause to adjust a bit of cable slack on my handbrakes but can't remember when I needed to do the last one. I'd be more inclined to think the mechanic is the issue. I've owned the following and all were fine, no problems, held on a steep incline with no issue. BJ40 SWB Cruiser the only one that was a tail shaft handbrake not on the rear wheels, fantastic hand brake would hold it anywhere. HJ60, excellent, never had a problem. HZJ80R the first one I owned with 4 wheel discs and the handbrake was fine. HZJ105R, 4 wheel discs with handbrake in rear hubs, also worked perfectly. And my current one which is a HDJ100R and the handbrake is again excellent. You guys need to get a new mechanic. Mind you! I am left handed which may be an advantage.