60 series Dual Rear Wheel Carrier

Silveredition

Gday guys, When I bought my HJ61 it already had a 190L long range tank in it, and a dodgy wheel carrier bolted to the factory rear bumper. The carrier rocked around like it was going to fall off, so it went to the tip and I just carried the spare in the back... I wasn't real happy with doing this, so I decided to make a new rear bar with twin wheel carriers...
I used Holden hubs and stub axles for the pivot, with the hub welded into the bar and the stub axle welded to the arm. This way if I decide to take the arms off I don't have the stub axle sticking up from the bar...
I used 1.6mm plate with 10mm flat bar bracing around the hubs, and bolted forward to the chassis where it is needed. This has kept the weight reasonably low.... I also angled the wings up to the level of the rear body panel corners to improve the departure angle over the original...
Since finishing it I also added a TRED and axe carrier..
I also ensured the rear bar doesn't have anything to do with the tow bar... Here are a few pics...
Drew
IMG_4255.JPG
IMG_4258.JPG
IMG_4260.JPG
IMG_4261.JPG

baker80

hey mate im interested in doing a job similar to this myself. do you recon you could share a bit more detail/advice on how you hooked it up it looks like youve done a solid job. was it bolted onto the tow point frame or straight onto the chassis?
i havent actually taken my stock bumper off on the 80 so im not sure wether there is support to put the spindle straight on and keep the stock bumper or wether i have to build a whole new bumper. either way it looks super tidy

Silveredition

hey mate im interested in doing a job similar to this myself. do you recon you could share a bit more detail/advice on how you hooked it up it looks like youve done a solid job. was it bolted onto the tow point frame or straight onto the chassis?
i havent actually taken my stock bumper off on the 80 so im not sure wether there is support to put the spindle straight on and keep the stock bumper or wether i have to build a whole new bumper. either way it looks super tidy

G'day mate, thanks for the reply. I have made these for my previous 80 series and 100 series. One thing I ensure is that it has nothing to do with the tow bar, isn't welded to the chassis anywhere, and mounting points on the chassis are existing holes, or brackets made to bolt around the chassis. On the 80 the bar carried up both rear quarters to the mud flaps as per the original bumper - but tucked up a lot higher. The first thing I did on all of them was to bend up the sheet going across the rear. From here on it is trim, stand back and look, trim a bit more, look again etc... I purchase the latches - the ones currently look exactly the same as the Ralstarr latches (and Strong Arm from memory), but have also used Opposite Lock latches. Over-engineer all mounts as it is subject to a lot of vibration etc. I found out this the hard way as on my 80 I snapped both latch mounts that hold the carriers closed - this was on the road to Mitchell Plateau just off the Gibb River Road. Once they had snapped it was easy to see where the weak area was...
Drew
Ps -I think it is 2mm, not 1.6 sheet that I use....