Change background image

6.5 chevy club

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Towie, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Towie

Towie Moderator

big thanks to frosty for the chat about tech stuff

so another on the wAy do we have enough for a club?

Should have mine sorted n finished in a few weeks

2001 st white 3ltr well formally & now to become a 6.5 turbo & inter cooled
    200,000 on the clock let the mods begin..
    I might need some help/advice from some of you...

2. Big Rig

Big Rig 4x4 Earth Contributer

Well done Towie, see you got the Turbo model. That will be an interesting drive. I reckon thats what Frosty's is lacking BUT wouldn't it go with a 471 GM blower on top:eek:

3. reallywitchywife

reallywitchywife New Member

congradulations towie welcome to the chev club, you wont be disappointed

4. Towie

Towie Moderator

Too true I was leaning that way but Brunswick recommend the turbo
    We couldnswap it at some point & frosty take my turbo

5. reallywitchywife

reallywitchywife New Member

well that makes how many chevs now?? Anyone else going to join us, what about you bigwrig when are you going to convert that truck of yours to a chev??

6. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost 4x4 Earth Contributer

Wot and turn his Ipod into an 80's walkman :D

7. Big Rig

Don't think a Chev would fit under the hood of the XJ. I don't need power in it anyway. So long as I got the flex and the wheel travel it will do me fine. I got the Prado for the power. Kills the old agricultural Chevs.

8. frosty

frosty Well-Known Member

Yeah right!!!! :eek:When did this happen??????:rolleyes:

In ya DREAMS!!!:D

9. Big Rig

In Coffs :eek::rolleyes:

10. frosty

frosty Well-Known Member

Whats "coffs"????:confused:

11. Big Rig

Thats what the Chev did as the Prado passed it:eek:

12. frosty

frosty Well-Known Member

OHHHH! So you get a rolling start, unloaded, I get a standing start, fully loaded, and the Pwado wins????

You keep licking windows sunshine cos your special!!

13. Towie

Towie Moderator

Lol everyone loves a window licker a shit slinging session. Just like being out camping ain't it.
    Next time you boys line em up fair n square ok

So how many chev owners on the forum?

14. Big Rig

with ones that actually run? One I think..

15. Bainsy

Bainsy 4x4 Earth Contributer

toyota 3 litre D4D = 127 flywheel kw
    chev 6.5 litre = 160 flywheel kilowatt

the chev out does it, but when you compare power to engine size, weight and fuel economy, the D4D takes the cake.

I know my old bucket of junk has more poke then a 6.5 chev, even more then some of the low end 10 litre cat 3208's ;)

16. frosty

frosty Well-Known Member

Lets not start that crappy old "paper horsepower" arguement again!:p

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, back any little turbo buzz box up behind the CHEV and by the time you've got enough revs up to make some power, I would have dragged it up to the milk bar for an ice cream and back!:rolleyes:

17. Bainsy

Bainsy 4x4 Earth Contributer

no way, my old banger (with a not so standard power plant) got heaps more grunt then ya old detroit diesel, chevy rebadged, caravan towing motor :D

we got a saying at work. best way to top up the oil in a detroit... pour it over and let it soak in!

18. croozza

croozza Active Member

So you are better off with the Toyota motor. Even better off if you get a 4.5ltr V8 Twin turbo job = 200 kw. and that is in the current state of tune, throw in a chip and add some boost will see it rise above 270kw.

19. frosty

frosty Well-Known Member

I have considered a Turbo or Supercharger. BUT, I'll lose the space for my second battery and that is a priority because I don'n't want it in the back with the kids. And at the end of the day, it makes more than enough power and as everybody keeps conveniently forgetting, 470 NM of torque at 1700 RPM!! For those of us that actually go four wheel driving, that's more important than peak horsepower!!:cool:

AND, it cost about half of a conversion to a flash "modern" V8 Diesel. Duramax or Toymota. AND it only cost about $5K more than a 4.2TD conversion. AND now it's insured for $33K. It would only be worth about $15 with a 4.2TD. AND it's about half the price of a soft roading PWADO! AND it has NO electronics! No going white faced for me at a river crossing! AND it was a fast conversion! 2 weeks, done! AND mines a company car and my staff have to drive it. AND the CHEV gets better fuel economy than the PWADO loaded!!!:):):)AND......

Go back to interfereing with farm animals some of you lot and when you have a REAL arguement, come and talk to me then!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Good onya Towie!! You'll be happy with the old girl!:cool:

20. Towie

Towie Moderator

Cant wait Frosty!!! when its done i will throw her on a dyno for the day trippers & window lickers to look at.

"No replacement for Displacement" & there is NO substitute for CUBES! EVER!!!

If we wanted power we would buy a road biased car - we want the tourque of which you guys have FA in comparison.... Lets see a petrol or 3ltr diesel pull anything from 750rpm.

We are talking 4wding here not drag cars & as far as power goes my well modified 79 Series 1HDFTE has it all & is faster then the new V8's but of course not the tourque however it is far more reliable than the new version.....

I loooooove V8's tourque & music to the ears along with that shit eating grin we get for kickin it in the guts & listening to the roar..

I should be in your neck of the woods in a few weeks Frosty so will hook up & you can give it a whirl with the turbo hopefully..