4x4 Rust Devices

Robbie_P

Hi All,
I recently purchased a 2010 Nissan Patrol GU ST (112,000km). The vehicle has been very well kept and seldom used off road or in water.
I am planning to do a little offroad, beach driving etc.
Is it advisable to get an e-rust device or under body protection?
I have heard mixed reviews about e-rust devices.
Cheers,
Robbie

Hoyks

WA Government rate them as useless. They wouldn't do that unless the claims were BS.
Consumer Protection has taken action to stop the sale of, and secure refunds for consumers who bought a device that’s supposed to reduce rust and corrosion by as much as 80% in motor vehicles but fails to do so. The device, which was often sold as part of a package of after sales care products on new vehicles, connects to the vehicle’s battery.

Computerised Electronic Corrosion Inhibitor Units (CECI Units) were marketed as being able to ‘drastically reduce the rate at which rust forms in motor vehicles’. However Acting Commissioner for Consumer Protection Gary Newcombe believes there was no basis for such claims and has entered into an Enforceable Undertaking under the Australian Consumer Law (WA) with distributors High Performance Corporation Pty Ltd (HPC) and MotorOne Group Pty Ltd (MotorOne).

“Consumer Protection sought independent expert opinion and testing, which concluded that CECI Units did not prevent rust or corrosion,” Mr Newcombe said.

“In fact the ‘science’ behind the claimed protection simply cannot work in this scenario. For unwanted rust to be attracted to a sacrificial piece of metal using positive electrical current requires the negatively connected rusty metal to be in a conductive solution, so essentially the vehicle would need to be constantly submerged in water.

“Our undertaking with HPC and MotorOne prevents them from supplying, advertising or promoting CECI Units, or substantially similar devices, in Australia from 31 December 2015. It also requires the distributors to write to retailers that sold their products, including four car dealerships and 19 car window tinting outlets in WA, to inform them of the undertaking and to the availability of refunds to all of the consumers who paid hundreds of dollars per device over the period 1 January 2011 to 31 December 2013. Additionally, a notice must be published on the distributors’ websites www.defensepak.com.au and www.motoronefleet.com.”

The undertaking was sought by the Commissioner for Consumer Protection on behalf of all Australian Consumer Law regulators, due to concerns that false and misleading statements had been made about CECI Units in multiple jurisdictions. This included a claim that ‘laboratory tests demonstrate a reduction in the corrosion process by as much as 80% effectively doubling your vehicle’s life span against rust and corrosion’.

The undertaking can be viewed at www.commerce.wa.gov.au/undertakings.

Mr Newcombe said other makers of similar products could face a red light down the track.

“We monitor the marketplace and liaise with senior motor vehicle industry representatives regularly, so we know of other similar rust or corrosion prevention devices that do not work as they are supposed to. We have those distributors and sellers in our sights. This is likely to be the first domino to fall,” he said.

https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/anno...ibutors-car-rust-reduction-devices-ceci-units

REDDOG IAIN

I would strongly recommend against Lanolin or similar products, they are grease from sheep's wool, remain greasy and attract salt and other nasties which then stick to the surface, much better to put one of the sprinklers that run along the hose line on flat out and wash the underside thoroughly, on some of the loading ramps at Fraser and on mainland the Government have installed bar sprinklers for that exact purpose.

Hoyks

On my Sierra I bought in '94, I pulled the door trims off and sprayed inside all the doors and seams I could access with aerosol cans of Tectyl. It must have done a good job as I got a stalkbook message from a woman that owns it now and despite the abuse and 20+ years it still has minimal rust.

Last few vehicles I got a spray gun and sprayed all the underside with 2 coats of chassis black. Once thats done, I got a de-greaser gun, filled it with Tectyl and fogged/sprayed it all through the inside the doors and body panels. If doing the chassis you want a more waxy spray so it doesn't atract dust.

Yes, sand will stick to the waxy/oily stuff, but it does provide a barrier to contact with the metal. Corrosion can't happen without an electrolyte (water) being present and the wax/oil ensures the water is shed and can't wick into the body panel seams and start the cancer.

Outrage

4x4 Earth Contributer
General recommendation is spray it a month before the trip to the beach to let it dry. It's still relatively wet even a week from application.

It's not needed if you're doing bush 4wding, just a good wash. Same can be said for beach driving too, depends on how long you are away from a car wash, ultimately it's an additional barrier against corrosion.

As Aaron mentioned, avoid exhausts/hot surfaces, those temps are above its boiling point and it will evaporate right off. Made that mistake myself, ended up quite smoky.