4X4 Insurance

Smeacs

Banned
Hi all,
I was looking into what is covered under my insurance policy and was surprised to find that I am not covered for off road driving.

I was wanting to find out who is insured by what companies and exactly what do you get cover for?

Hoping to find the best deal but still know that if anything happens I know I will be covered.

Cheers

tankbloke

4x4 Earth Contributer
Good question there Rob, because I'm pretty sure my Discos are covered only for normal onroad driving.Think I might pull out the policies and have a read.
Cheers Peter.

Bainsy

but if its on a map isnt it classed as a road and you are covered? id like to know where they draw the line :confused:

tankbloke

4x4 Earth Contributer
We are talking insurance companies here Bainsy,they will screw you with some little clause somewhere.

Bainsy

We are talking insurance companies here Bainsy,they will screw you with some little clause somewhere.

yeh, they took my money quick smart! but took me over 8 months to get a couple of grand out of them for a claim... i had to keep ringing and they kept making excuses... so it basicly paid for my phone bill with all the time i was waiting for somone to answer!

Davidman

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Australian 4WD Insurance are apparently pretty good. I think they are underwritten by someone like Allianz or similar.

I should really look into mine too, but like Bainsy, I thought if it was on a map, or a gazetted road, then you were covered.

jack48

Hi Guys, have just checked with my insurers APIA, Have all our insurance with the 3 cars, caravan,CT, house & contents etc. Our Patrol and Bundera are covered anywhere in Australia, only not covered if in a restricted area like an army camp & get blown up by a tank or land mine, so any public areas are being covered, even while being involved with club runs etc, maybe doubtful if desert racing, forgot to ask bout that one

cptmud

i found a lot of insurance companies will say 1 thing , but always have a loop hole to get out of paying out, i have got jack of it, and only have 3rd party property fire and theft. I work on the bases of if i hit a carn im covered, i hope if i get hit, they are covered, and if i roll it off rd, im in the shit, but its a risk im wiling to take. As for being insuered on tracks, if its a marked track, then you should be covered as normal road rules apply on these tracks, and cars and bikes must be registered and drivers licenced.

l called these guys and they sound pretty good even cover you driving not just 4wd tracks but if your the lead car and making your own tracks l think from memory you can get a discount if you have done a basic accredited 4wd course also 1 piece of glass per yr and emergency repairs where evr you can drive your vehicle outta the bush being that if you smash it out there not so easy to get a flat tray to you they are a little dearer than others but you get what you pay for underwritten by gio l think
DGA Insurance Brokers

Smeacs

Banned
Australian 4WD Insurance are apparently pretty good. I think they are underwritten by someone like Allianz or similar.

l called these guys and they sound pretty good even cover you driving not just 4wd tracks but if your the lead car and making your own tracks l think from memory you can get a discount if you have done a basic accredited 4wd course also 1 piece of glass per yr and emergency repairs where evr you can drive your vehicle outta the bush being that if you smash it out there not so easy to get a flat tray to you they are a little dearer than others but you get what you pay for underwritten by gio l think
DGA Insurance Brokers

I have gone with the option of Australian 4WD Insurance. I went through DGA Insurance Brokers as that is who Shannons put me on to. They are Underwritten by Allianz. They will cover you for every thing except comps.

The whole gazetted road thing, which from my understanding is a road marked on a map, is a mystery to me. For example you can have a dog in your car in a national park if you are on a gazetted road. but not if your off the main road - Contradiction in itself. At least with these guys you are covered anywhere, anytime.

Thanks for the input. It's on of those interesting topics.

Bainsy

I rang Australian 4WD Insurance a few years ago. had the usual half hour wait before being spoken to "thanks for your patience, your call is important to us blah blah" once i got onto someone they explained types of cover and so on, asked me my vehicle, what mods and other minor details. then they got to my personal details, car rego, address, then (after about an hour on a mobile phone) they asked for my date of birth... Sorry you must be over the age of 25 to be covered by Australian 4WD Insurance. GGGRRRRR wasted my phone credit and went over my lunch break for nothing! :mad: you would think they would get that out of the way first! not long till im 25 now though :cool:

Smeacs

Banned
Should have been using the work phone.. Thats what I did. LOL

But I agree this has happened to me with a few things in the past.
You would think that they would not want to waste there own time..

goldrush

I am with AAMI and am covered for everything and everywhere except competitions. Premiums are reasonable but that may have more than a bit to do with my age and claim history.

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Shannons were the only one's to touch mine. $950/year. Insured for $33K including accessories. 1 free glass, any glass on the car. Can drive ANYWHERE but must pay extra for comps.

No other insururererere would recognize the Chev as an extra or asset. A few just did'nt want touch it at all???

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Showing yourself today old Goldblush?? Yobbo needs insurance against that more than me!!

KDA

It was only the other day i asked to same question about insurance for off road (something i never really considered) and to my surprise i found i am fully covered with AAMI with the exception of competitions and test tracks , i bought my navara for $28,000 brand new and they have it insured for $40,000 market value and the premiums are quite good,cheapest i found at the time i insured it. smiles all round.