4x4 Equip Compact Shovel Bag Review

Swaggie

4x4 Equip Combo Shovel & Bag Review

Combo & Compact Shovel Bag Review

OK thought I'd review this shovel set i bought after looking on the net a few years back,Ive used it around the backyard and also sandy soils here and there near rivers as some areas get washed away and you need to move/fill in areas,Ive used the rake many times before putting down my Swag,raking away sticks.leaves and small rocks,its very strong..Now i wasn't going to put the Rake up as i bought it a few years back when picking up the shovel combo set and i only saw it out of the corner of my eye,I asked him about it because there was two left in a corner.He said one was his because he had sold a few and hadn't kept one myself lol.. So you can have the other one for about $25 bucks from memory and I'm glad i grabbed it..
The story goes he had lost the manufacturer for the rake and was in the process of getting another as the demand for the rakes was huge and i fully understand why.There not on his site yet so i dont know what the story is...This guy actually makes the shovels himself with many other top notch products on his Website..He usually goes to the Caravan Camping Shows around the Country...Well Ive seen him at Caulfield Caravan Show so i gather he goes to others.

4x4Equip%2520bag.JPG

4x4Equip%2520bag1.JPG

4x4Equip%2520bag2.JPG

Pack%2520Away.JPG

DSC03534.JPG

Long%2520Shovel%2520plus%2520hand%2520grip%2520and%2520Rake.JPG

Very%2520Well%2520Made.JPG

Materials%2520and%2520Joins%2520are%2520fantastic.JPG

Rake%2520Protection.JPG

Its meant to say Keeps the tips of the Rake safe...lol..I will fix.

Rake%2520extended.JPG

Rake%2520Side%2520On.JPG

Rake%2520with%2520D%2520Handle.JPG

Rake%2520with%2520Extension%2520handle.JPG

Specs for set below:

Combo Shovel
The unique 4x4 Equip has proven it’s self over several
years now. This improved design now makes the even
better. The takes away the hassle of trying to carry a
long handled shovel inside or outside your 4WD. Simply un-screw the
long handle at the threaded joint and store it conveniently away.
By attaching the supplied 'D' handle it now becomes a useful
spade. The high quality is built strong for hard work
and consists of a heat treated steel blade, multi-core, steel reinforced
fibreglass handle, cushioned "D" handle and steel joining sleeves.

Technical Specifications:
Steel Reinforced Fibreglass & PVC Handle, Zinc Plated Steel Threaded Joining Sleeves
Long Handle Shovel Length 1430mm, D Handle Shovel Length 970mm,
Minimum "break down" Length 770mm, Blade Width 193mm

Rake%2520Pole%2520extension%2520Grip%2520and%2520Shovel.JPG

Ok the pink flagging you see on the Rake is for visual purpose only,I put it on everything that can be lost in the grass...Even around my Coleman Northstar Bag which is Green and blends in quite easily in the grass...So theres another tip,i haven't lost anything yet...lol

You can also buy a Axe and Shovel Holder that goes on your spare wheel if you have one one on the rear..He also does shovel holders for Roof-racks...

The products can be found here: 4wd Recovery Gear | 4wd Accessories | 4wd Equipment and Camping Gear Australia | Axe and Shovel Holder | Combo Shovel | Synthetic Winch Rope | Camping Lights| Autofridge Eutectic Refrigerators|Pillowtrack|Tyre Deflators|Versa-Lite|LED Strip Lights|Fr

From 4x4Equip: Don't be fooled by poor quality imports. These copies may have no internal steel reinforcing. They may even feature a washer between the two joining sleeves which drastically reduces the strength of the shovel and places undue stress on the thread.

Note:
These Reviews i write are from my own Camping Gear that i have bought over the years that i have used and paid in full...Ive decided to write these reports so my fellow 4x4Earthers can make a valid choice on what gear to buy whether it be of high grade quality or poor quality.

Last edited:

03hilux

Thats a good review Swaggie. Im actually off on friday to a local c'van & camping show, and this is one thing i am going to look at.
Have you got saucepans with removable handles you could do a review on before friday?

nao

onya swaggie.. first an icom now ill be buying a new spade..damn shovels ive bought from bunnings havent lasted long at all...

Swaggie

onya swaggie.. first an icom now ill be buying a new spade..damn shovels ive bought from bunnings havent lasted long at all...

Great revue been looking for one of these, hi go, off to the website I go, just don't tell SWMBO

Thanks Guys..His gear is tough and Aussie Made,its not the cheapest but great quality isn't,even the extension handle for the spade if you had to protect yourself from something would easily do the job...

I would also like you to put your own views in my review threads whether you thought is was like i said or not up to your expectations for whatever reason..

@nao if you bought the Icom handheld please put your personal info in the thread i dont mind at all..So we get an all round review....

Thanks once again...

Swaggie

I got this item about 6 months ago.Didn't have to use it for some time untill the ol digger had to come out.
When I screwed the D handle onto the shovel,it's final location was about 80 degrees to the shovel blade and not in the same plane so your hand was in the complete wrong position for using the shovel.No matter how many times I rotated the handle before screwing it up,it always ended in the wrong position.I just naturally assumed it was another piece of cheap crap....Lucky the long handle does not have an end on it or it would be completly usless???????????????????????

Did you buy it from the 4x4Equip site as there are plenty of Chinese knock-offs getting about..I dont class a $100 dollars for all this stuff cheap...

If you did buy it from 4x4equip website or at there show,get in touch with them and let them know about it..Also let us know of the outcome please...

Goodluck

Outrage

4x4 Earth Contributer
Have the shovel/bag, used it a few times now in long/short form. All works well, happy customer. Lives in the rear drawer, so bag offers some protection to other bits and pieces in the same place.

prawns

great idea with the reviews swaggie :)

Definatly looking forward to future installments/products thats for sure :) Its good to get unbiased reports on things specially on how they handle the job long term i reckon - your onto a winner I think :)

Croozer

Well done on the report Swaggie! They are a local company here in Bayswater and are great people.
I don't think they will be at Wandin to say hi and have a drink with us this year they are busy building there new home just up the road from here near the Ghost family.

Swaggie

great idea with the reviews swaggie :)

Definatly looking forward to future installments/products thats for sure :) Its good to get unbiased reports on things specially on how they handle the job long term i reckon - your onto a winner I think :)

Cheers Prawns,I'm actually getting some satisfaction out of it especially knowing the members are too...All reports will be Unbiased i can 100% Guarantee you that....

Swaggie

Well done on the report Swaggie! They are a local company here in Bayswater and are great people.
I don't think they will be at Wandin to say hi and have a drink with us this year they are busy building there new home just up the road from here near the Ghost family.

Oh ok i didn't know that they are moving,Ive only been there once to pick up the shovel set a few years ago..There are a couple of smaller products i have bought off him at the Caravan Show which i will review too...

Cheers Mate

Swaggie

Was the take a home invention, as couldn't see it on the link, Swaggie?

Hiya Ross

Was trying to figure out what you meant for awhile...lmao..Ok was the Rake a home invention..???

This mate i could not tell you..I just know he couldn't either get it made or source from China so its just a guessing game..I know they were very popular ...Well i use it more than the spade,even to gather leaves and sticks to start a fire..

ross and cher

Damn predictive text and old eyes, lol.

And the rake would be a perfect part of the kit, ah well, I needs a shovel anyway.

Swaggie

OK there was a comment that this Shovel Pack was crap and the D handle would only line up to the shovel 90 degrees out of whack making it unusable..So it was useless..After some messaging we found out it was NOT a 4x4Equip Shovel Combo Set and the poster has kindly removed the post...

The other clone set looked identical to the original so dont be persuaded by this..For quality Australian Made Product buy of the 4x4Equip site or from them at 4x4Shows around the Country..There sticker is on the long shovel handle and stitched into the corner of there bag..

DSC03552.JPG

DSC03551.JPG

Swaggie

I spoke to Ian at the Melbourne 4x4 show recently, the newer shovel combo set have 4x4equip stamped on various areas of the set.Beware of cheaper and inferior clones.

Jase69er

I have the Axe / double handled shovel set from 4x4 Epuip. I have the bag also but opted not to used it, instead I have the wheel carrier rack for them. Very very nice set-up. I have a spare bag brand new if anyone wants it.