Change background image

4x4 courses

Discussion in 'Information For Newbies' started by Wakk, May 28, 2017.

1. Wakk

Wakk New Member

Hi there.
    I'm relatively new to 4x4 and wanting to get a few more tips/skills under the belt.
    Is it worth looking into a day course or something along those lines? If so any in particular?

Cheers legends.

2. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

Many people suggest doing a 4x4 training course as it will help with the basic's of understanding your vehicle and how it reacts in certain situations , also will teach you how to control the vehicle on differing terrains and situations along with safe basic recovery techniques and how to apply them in real life .

One of the best ways to learn is to go on trips with experienced members. Don't be afraid to ask questions, or for help if the need arises as learning from experience is one of the best ways imo.

Check out the vic trip page for trips and join in where you can.
    @Spooner is running a snow trip soon, this could be one for you to get on if time frame suits.

As for training courses in vic not sure myself but am sure a few vics will be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

3. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

Your other option is a tag a long tour... You get the experienced hand leading you, you will have a group of like minded individuals around you to give advice and you get to learn what you and your vehicle are capable of

80lover96gxl likes this.
  4. Wakk

Wakk New Member

Thanks heaps for the reply guys.

Going out with other experienced drivers would definitely be a great option for sure! I'm all ears and like to learn things properly, so any advice I'll take on board.

I'm gradually getting the truck kitted up and keen as to get out and about. As is my fiancé and little bloke (he's only 13months but I'll say he's keen ha)

Might look at the trips you mentioned that are coming up, and see if we can get along to one.

80lover96gxl likes this.
  5. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

The vic annual meet in november would be a great one to attend, plenty of experienced folk going with trips for all experience levels on offer.
    Would be a great way to meet forum members as the social aspect of the meets is also fantastic.

Wakk likes this.
  6. Mickkk

Mickkk Active Member

Another option is to look into your local 4wd club. The club I'm in (Toyota landcruiser club darwin) offers free driver training courses to members. The interstate tlcclubs offer very professional training (cost a packet too) most of them make you do the training before going on their trips.

Wakk likes this.
  7. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Sure go do the course, ppl that have been to one after driving in the bush for years always say they learn something new from courses..Always KEEP AN OPEN MIND...

Good luck

Wakk likes this.
  8. Wakk

Wakk New Member

Awesome. The Vic meet could be great for sure. Do you know where it is this year?

If I was to look at one of the courses is there any in particular that people recommend? I've seen there's a few around so would be good to pick one people got a bit out of and enjoyed at the same time.

Grantw1971 likes this.