4x4 Air Compressor

Watt

Hi guys Im keen to get a compressor for tyre inflation but also thinking of installing a small tank for adding pressure for cleaning things.
Any suggestions on good brands / quick inflation / value for $ / setup options..
Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance.

rodw

Hi guys Im keen to get a compressor for tyre inflation but also thinking of installing a small tank for adding pressure for cleaning things.
Any suggestions on good brands / quick inflation / value for $ / setup options..
Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance.

Check out Yobbos setup

KDA

I have an ARB on board air compressor which was a great investment, on the barge coming back from fraser island i had all my tyres back up to pressure in no time at all, while 20mins+ after i finished 2 other guys were still pumping their tyres up with cheapy models from supercheap, after seeing mine in action they liked the way mine went.

rodw

I have an ARB on board air compressor which was a great investment, on the barge coming back from fraser island i had all my tyres back up to pressure in no time at all, while 20mins+ after i finished 2 other guys were still pumping their tyres up with cheapy models from supercheap, after seeing mine in action they liked the way mine went.

I have the Bluetongue compressor which is rated a bit slower on paper but apparently head to head with the ARB, there is not much in it. It is rated 100% duty cycle at 50 psi. Yobbo has one on a 30 litre air tank and thinks it is a bit small, but that is a big tank for a vehicle application. Iliked the idea of reliability as I have heard a lot of reports of problems with the ARB one.

Albyone

Hey Watt,

It comes down to two things really, your budget and room/weight you'd like to carry. A standard [good quality] compressor with an air tank is a good all round compromise. If you use lots of air often, you might consider a bigger capacity compressor and larger tank.

Your basic 12V compressor may only put out 1 cubic foot of air, where some of the premium ones will do nearly 4. Converting an airconditioning compressor [yourself or purchasing it as a kit] is an option if you pump up lots of tyres, run air tools etc [some do 8+ Cu ft].

If you do your tyres once every month or less, then one of the better quality basic compressors will be fine [just be patient].

If you don't use it often, consider getting a portable one [they come in a plastic tool box]. It can be handy to move it around and swap it into different vehicles.

Let me know if you'd like to know anymore...

Cheers

ghumphreys

Hi Guys got a mounted ARB one for Xmas very easy to fit works excellent used it a couple of time already. Got the mounted one because i will look at putting lockers in some time in the future and half the job is already done, also got an ARB Tyre deflater in the package deal, also a great tool only complaint is when re inflating having to screw it on and off all the time so i bought a $15 one that just pushes on when checked pressures against ARB one and is close enough. Will post a full report on tracks we have done when i get home but so far they have been EXCELLENT!!!!!!!

Big_Col

I got the ARB mounted one for Xmas too! Love it so far. I had a supercheap one and it took forever. Besides the speed I have to say I can't fault it however - it worked when it had too without fail but the ARB is so much faster and easier to use. To top it off, being mounted, it saves a bit of space in the back of the ute in my tool kit. When travelling with a small family every bit counts. I would love a set of lockers and this is the first step (anybody have any hints on convincing their better halves to spring for a rear locker?).

Don't know about having a tank on it. I would be interested to find out however so if anybody knows...

DR J

I've got an Ironman Portable Compressor that I picked up at the 4x4 show in Melbourne for only $150 and is sensationbal blowing my 33's back up. No complaints on this one and I can move it from vehicle to vehicle.

Albyone

(anybody have any hints on convincing their better halves to spring for a rear locker?).

Get bogged on a cold and rainy night [with her on board of course....] or better still let her drive and get the bug too....

Good luck!

Cheers

Albyone

Don't know about having a tank on it. I would be interested to find out however so if anybody knows...

OBAdiagram.jpg

You get the idea? With a 12V compressor from point 6 on [forget about the rest prior to this]. If you want to know more, let me know. Diagram with thanks from our buddies at Kilby Enterprises in Burbank CA...

Cheers

Last edited:

rodw

Great Diagram. First 2 foot of hose from compressor should be steel braided (eg for electric compressor, the hose between 6 & 7) becasue it will get hot and could blow off normal hose fittings.

rokster

You get the idea? With a 12V compressor from point 6 on [forget about the rest prior to this]. If you want to know more, let me know. Diagram with thanks from our buddies at Kilby Enterprises in Burbank CA...

Cheers

Now for the next obvious question.. where do you guys get all the bits ? A quick shopping list would be :

1. Air tank
2. Couple of hoses
3. Couplings
4. Manifold
5. Pressure gauge
6. Safety valve
7. Pressure switch

Am I missing anything ?

Thanks in advance !
Niel

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Now for the next obvious question.. where do you guys get all the bits ? A quick shopping list would be :

1. Air tank
2. Couple of hoses
3. Couplings
4. Manifold
5. Pressure gauge
6. Safety valve
7. Pressure switch

Am I missing anything ?

Thanks in advance !
Niel

The air tank, any truck wreckers. They'll be lying in the dirt everywhere. Don't pay more than $30 or so. I paid $25. All the lines, fittings, switches, etc. go to a pneamatics parts supplier. If you can, use 1/2 inch copper tube for the 500mm off the compressor. It'll last forever.

Chard

4x4 Earth Contributer
I have the ARB under bonnet compressor and hooked up an old fire extinguisher as a holding tank. This takes only a minute to pump up to 100psi and gives a massive kick start to pumping up my 35's from 15psi. The tank will slowly discharge as the compressor cant keep up but then as you are checking the pressure and screwing the valve cap back on the compressor gets a chance to build up the pressure again between tyres. I am quicker than my mate who doesnt have a tank and has 33's. You just flick the switch a few minutes before you park up to air up.
The tank is up under the bullbar where the winch would normally sit. I then have a coupling mounted on the bullbar so I dont even need to pop the bonnet. One problem though with leaving the bonnet shut is the thermo switch kicks in quicker so it pays to lift it when airing back up after 15psi.
Cheers Rick.