4WD Victoria media release about the threat to access Western Victoria Forests causes outrage

Patriot

Administrator
4WD Victoria issued a press release on Wednesday that has been getting quite a bit of attention, mostly for all of the wrong reasons.

The post on Facebook has gotten a lot of traction, with many people concerned that 4WDV is only concerned about 4WD access to the proposed National Park. This is the subject of the BUGU rally next week.

The Press Release raises a number of concerns:
Is 4WDV taking their line because they are reliant on funding from the Government?
Should we be working closer with other Bush Users to try to maintain access?
Should we care is State Forests are converted to National Parks?

1566536072761.png

Here is the Press Release

Media Release General Information for general distribution.
August 21st 2019
Four Wheel Drive Tracks Not Under Threat in Western Victorian Forests

There has been much speculation and miss-information being communicated by some recreational interest groups and so called celebrity spokespersons stating that four wheel drive tracks will be closed if the proposal to change the status of some State Forests into National Parks is approved by the State Government. This is incorrect and track closures are not being proposed by the VEAC Central West Investigation Report. There is no mention in the report of changing access to four wheel drive tracks in any of the areas affected by this report.
Some recreational activities such as deer hunting, prospecting and mining, horse riding, dog walking and collecting fire wood will be affected or stopped by the proposed changes but to make statements that four wheel drive access to tracks will be closed is false and misleading.
Four Wheel Drive Victoria is very active in ensuring that four wheel drivers will continue to access the tracks in Lerderderg State Forest, Wombat State Forest, Cobaw State Forest and the Pyrenees ranges and other areas included in the VEAC report.
Four Wheel Drive Victoria has a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with DELWP and Parks Victoria where we must be consulted with if there are any tracks that are to be considered for change of access. There are strict criteria that must be followed by all parties if a track status change is being considered and Four Wheel Drive Victoria will always work with the land managers to ensure tracks are kept open to the public.
We have proven that by building strong consultative relationships with the State Government and land managers and working with them with volunteer projects such as track clearing and clean up the bush programs as well as our MOU we have maintained and built our track network which has become the envy of other states who don’t have the access to four wheel drive tracks that we have in Victoria. Since 1975 Four Wheel Drive Victoria has strived to keep continued access to our tracks for all Victorians.
Four Wheel Drive Victoria Affiliated clubs and their members adhere to the Tread Lightly principles of responsible, low environmental impact four wheel driving and camping.
Our mantra is “Driving in a sustainable environment”
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube.
Website www.fwdvictoria.org.au
Four further information or comment contact Four Wheel Drive Victoria CEO Wayne Hevey on 03 98747222 or email at ceo@fwdvictoria.org.au

shaun0

It is a stupid post they assume the only reason people own a 4wd is just to drive on a track. Well some like me have a 4wd to get to places were i can do stuff not just because i want to just drive on a tack. These guys are idiots.

Barra GU

4WD Victoria issued a press release on Wednesday that has been getting quite a bit of attention, mostly for all of the wrong reasons.

The post on Facebook has gotten a lot of traction, with many people concerned that 4WDV is only concerned about 4WD access to the proposed National Park. This is the subject of the BUGU rally next week.

The Press Release raises a number of concerns:
Is 4WDV taking their line because they are reliant on funding from the Government?
Should we be working closer with other Bush Users to try to maintain access?
Should we care is State Forests are converted to National Parks?

View attachment 63037

Here is the Press Release

Media Release General Information for general distribution.
August 21st 2019
Four Wheel Drive Tracks Not Under Threat in Western Victorian Forests

There has been much speculation and miss-information being communicated by some recreational interest groups and so called celebrity spokespersons stating that four wheel drive tracks will be closed if the proposal to change the status of some State Forests into National Parks is approved by the State Government. This is incorrect and track closures are not being proposed by the VEAC Central West Investigation Report. There is no mention in the report of changing access to four wheel drive tracks in any of the areas affected by this report.
Some recreational activities such as deer hunting, prospecting and mining, horse riding, dog walking and collecting fire wood will be affected or stopped by the proposed changes but to make statements that four wheel drive access to tracks will be closed is false and misleading.
Four Wheel Drive Victoria is very active in ensuring that four wheel drivers will continue to access the tracks in Lerderderg State Forest, Wombat State Forest, Cobaw State Forest and the Pyrenees ranges and other areas included in the VEAC report.
Four Wheel Drive Victoria has a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with DELWP and Parks Victoria where we must be consulted with if there are any tracks that are to be considered for change of access. There are strict criteria that must be followed by all parties if a track status change is being considered and Four Wheel Drive Victoria will always work with the land managers to ensure tracks are kept open to the public.
We have proven that by building strong consultative relationships with the State Government and land managers and working with them with volunteer projects such as track clearing and clean up the bush programs as well as our MOU we have maintained and built our track network which has become the envy of other states who don’t have the access to four wheel drive tracks that we have in Victoria. Since 1975 Four Wheel Drive Victoria has strived to keep continued access to our tracks for all Victorians.
Four Wheel Drive Victoria Affiliated clubs and their members adhere to the Tread Lightly principles of responsible, low environmental impact four wheel driving and camping.
Our mantra is “Driving in a sustainable environment”
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube.
Website www.fwdvictoria.org.au
Four further information or comment contact Four Wheel Drive Victoria CEO Wayne Hevey on 03 98747222 or email at ceo@fwdvictoria.org.au

"Some recreational activities such as deer hunting, prospecting and mining, horse riding, dog walking and collecting fire wood will be affected or stopped by the proposed changes"

This is good enough for me to go... we shoukd be able to use this land the way we curently do....

Synchro

Are they funded by the Government - 4wd NSW, the NSW equivalent body to the Vic body are funded by affliation fees charged to member 4wd clubs.

dno67

The question has to be asked as to why they need to be changed to national parks other than it being another step to being locked out which would be their ultimate goal.
No doubt this is all for financial gain.
Bit like the fwy, that needs to be historically listed. Why ?

phs

The question has to be asked as to why they need to be changed to national parks other than it being another step to being locked out which would be their ultimate goal.
No doubt this is all for financial gain.
I have not really read into the fine detail so I’m a little on the side line, probably more towards leaving it as is. If it any broken why fix it

but
Will these state forests being changed into NP be any different to the current NP rules in vic, ie, ALPINE NATIONAL PARK ?

As for the hunting thing well when you run into large groups of hunters while trying to enjoy the bush with your family I can see why some people would like less of them... can’t speak for all hunters but in Vic in certain areas it’s a little bit much and I hunt my self but not like they do

Its about cutting the cost of managing these areas. Forestry spend money maintaining fire breaks & trails, NP does not.
If they had the brains to introduce a yearly pass to access these areas most of these underfunded departments would be very WELL funded..

They get it when it comes to our Oceans but are DUMB ASSES when it comes to the bush....GRRRRRRRR

"Some recreational activities such as deer hunting, prospecting and mining, horse riding, dog walking and collecting fire wood will be affected or stopped by the proposed changes"

Isn't this why most of us have a 4WD, we own them to be able to get to places you ordinarily can't in a 2WD. It's not 4WDing without enjoying the freedom to responsibly have a camp fire and enjoy and respect nature the way people have for 100's of years. Anyone that believes you own a 4WD just to drive up and down shit has got it all wrong. To be honest I don't understand just driving up something because it is there, if it's between me and where I want to be then that's a different story.

Nobody wants to turn up to a National Park camp ground that has camping bays marked with shitty wooden poles that stop you from spreading out onto the grassed area's but force you to camp where its wet and muddy, have to pre book online and commit to a pre planed itinerary. Take a drive up the coast to Sydney and camp at any of the National Parks, pretty sure they are all accessible by 2WD's, no pets allowed, bring your own firewood if your allowed to have a fire! There may be a few where they are accessible via a beach but you still have the option of a maintained dirt road.

Don't see any real value to National Parks, I'd even be prepared to pay for an annual access permit in order to keep State Forest from becoming National parks.

dno67

If they had the brains to introduce a yearly pass to access these areas most of these underfunded departments would be very WELL funded..

They get it when it comes to our Oceans but are DUMB ASSES when it comes to the bush....GRRRRRRRR
Thats not such a good example, its now cheaper to go and buy fish than it is to catch some. Yes it filled there purse's but it's also becoming a technical nightmare with regs and bag limits.
I don't want to see things in the bush get to the point where it's cheaper to stay in a CV park than to camp in a nice spot by yourself in the serenity of the bush.

Thats not such a good example, its now cheaper to go and buy fish than it is to catch some. Yes it filled there purse's but it's also becoming a technical nightmare with regs and bag limits.
I don't want to see things in the bush get to the point where it's cheaper to stay in a CV park than to camp in a nice spot by yourself in the serenity of the bush.
It's been like that for a long time mate and fisherman accept that, boat, insurance, bait, rods and the list goes on to experience the Catch. The amount of new boat registrations in Victoria alone is unbelievable.....
I have mates in fishing clubs and they support lowering bag limits etc....
So it's been Policed quite well because the fishing licenses were introduced years ago.......

There's currently no Policing in the bush, one Ranger for a gazillion hectares, won't pay him to work on weekends where a lot of this rubbish goes on so basically it's a shit fest out there, camping areas/tracks are being closed....... People are trashing pit toilets (graffiti and burning them down) and crapping everywhere... Why because they can. No one around... There's No money in the coffers..... So they want to amalgamate it and close it rather than find a solution for ALL of us... All the years I've been in the bush I've seen a Ranger a handful of times max....

We may all end up eating fish and chips in a Caravan Park the way things are going anyway....;)

What do you propose.....

dno67

It's been like that for a long time mate and fisherman accept that, boat, insurance, bait, rods and the list goes on to experience the Catch. The amount of new boat registrations in Victoria alone is unbelievable.....
I have mates in fishing clubs and they support lowering bag limits etc....
So it's been Policed quite well because the fishing licenses were introduced years ago.......

There's currently no Policing in the bush, one Ranger for a gazillion hectares, won't pay him to work on weekends where a lot of this rubbish goes on so basically it's a shit fest out there, camping areas/tracks are being closed....... People are trashing pit toilets (graffiti and burning them down) and crapping everywhere... Why because they can. No one around... There's No money in the coffers..... So they want to amalgamate it and close it rather than find a solution for ALL of us... All the years I've been in the bush I've seen a Ranger a handful of times max....

We may all end up eating fish and chips in a Caravan Park the way things are going anyway....;)

What do you propose.....
The bag limits have worked well and yes there more fish to catch. Sounds like you have some knowledge before you head out to catch a fish with your young kids in tow. For anyone that wants to just have a go for the first time, not so straight forward anymore. Or cheap, just for the expirence.
I don't have the answer to solve the problem, but if a yearly fee or permit went towards some positive policing, prosecution and possibly some public advertising on the acceptable use of public land and the punishment for abusing these areas. That would be a good thing.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Just check out the cost of camping site in Forests as compared to the cost of camping site in National Parks. I know, so you have to do your own research and then you will see why they want to lock it up.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and easy to control because many people will no longer have a legal reason to go there.