4WD sinks in Nimbin

dno67

How to get rid of your Bitsumishi. lol
People need to realize, conditions are constantly changing from minute to minute.
Suprised they slowed down from the posted sign speed. Stupidity.. that could have cost them there life, or the life someone else rendering assistance.

Hoyks

If they had accepted that it was filling with water, opened the door and scuttled the Paj, they probably could have driven it.

The water doesn't appear to be flowing significantly enough to wash them off the crossing if the car had some ballast water in it..

mikehzz

Barely flowing, I think the front left wheel went off the side of the road and the car rolled down an embankment hidden by the water. They were in plus waste deep water and could still stand ok.

Petunia

OH MY Act(ual) Of God........

''If its flooded, forget it'' seems a waste of time effort and money? Well maybe not, some people do take notice?

CTL

So they checked a council website which could be hours out of date, even 30 minutes of torrential rain could change a safe road to a dangerously, deadly road, PLUS chose to drive around a “road closed” sign? Hope their insurance refuses to pay out. Utter stupidity.

Albynsw

So they checked a council website which could be hours out of date, even 30 minutes of torrential rain could change a safe road to a dangerously, deadly road, PLUS chose to drive around a “road closed” sign? Hope their insurance refuses to pay out. Utter stupidity.
Did they drive around the road closed sign or was that put there after the event ? I didn’t see the sign in the live footage

BensWhackCar

If they had accepted that it was filling with water, opened the door and scuttled the Paj, they probably could have driven it.

The water doesn't appear to be flowing significantly enough to wash them off the crossing if the car had some ballast water in it..

Can you elaborate on this? in detail? Why open the door? what's ballast water? Incase this ever happens to me lol.

tigger384

doesn't look as though the " road closed" sign was in place at that time, but still completely stupid behavior, cant believe people still don't get it if its flooded don't across it.

callmejoe

Can you elaborate on this? in detail? Why open the door? what's ballast water? Incase this ever happens to me lol.

Its a long lost fishing technique.
Drive into deep water. Keep driving untill you get a "floating" feeling. This will let you know your deep enough. Now open the door with the least pressure, so the down stream side. Then open the opposite side windows open.
Water will start rushing in, flooding the car making it heavier causing to sink. Which is important. As it starts to sink water will flow in through the opposite side open windows. As this water rushes in so does the fish.
Now the hard part. Once the vehicle is full of water close the open door. PS This can be very heavy so best to use 2 people or 3 young children.
As you have now trapped all Water and hopefully a fresh feed inside the vehicle its time to drive out. Now remember l said its a good thing to sink to the bottom. This will mean you have traction to drive out, engage 4wd (thats if its not a AWD not sure then what to do) and drive out.
Once on dry land open doors to release all water and see what fish you have caught.

repeat if necessary

Joe

Chatty

The idea is that if the water is above the level of the floorboards, the vehicle is floating (to at least some extent) and loses traction. If you open a door to let water in, you will prevent the tendency to float and gain traction again. Maybe.
But of course you will have trashed all the carpets, a lot of the fittings, maybe your seats, a lot of electrics, filled the diffs with water, etc, etc...

Hoyks

The idea is that if the water is above the level of the floorboards, the vehicle is floating (to at least some extent) and loses traction. If you open a door to let water in, you will prevent the tendency to float and gain traction again. Maybe.
And a 1/4 full fuel tank will make for an effective flotation device.

Boats float due to displacement (Archimedes law). Once the mass of the volume of water they push out of the way matches the mass of the boat, then they start to float.
Start letting that water inside the boat and it will sink like a stone.

Here is an old vid from Safari, as you can see the jackaroo is floating nose down due to the motor being at the front and fuel tank working like a floatie at the back. Water is up to the window sills in the front, but the driver is dry. If he flooded the cab, then he'd be wet, but would also take on enough water that the back end would sink and be in better contact with the road and have more of a chance of controlling the vehicles direction of travel.
Its also a possibility that the ECU would be flooded and the car would die anyway, but most of them are pretty well sealed. Getting the smell of swamp water out of the carpet can take a while.

Last edited:

Swaggie

Unless you’ve been dragged down a river people have no idea how quick it actually happens, you haven’t any time to mess around with opening doors especially if your by yourself, would one door opening help i doubt it .