4WD heaven, there is one isn't there ?

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
I personally don't think they'll give a rats about the potential mechanical issues... Unless it's VERY obvious and can be proven to be directly caused by the accident, they'll wipe their hands of any future mechanical issues.

"Sorry, vehicle was running just fine when you collected it. Inspection report we had done prior to acceptance proves it."

I was under the impression though that bent chassis was automatically a write off? Could well be wrong though, not something I've ever looked into.

You get things on report that might be an issue, things you suspect but can't see until the vehicle is disassembled / repaired in this case.
Mech here can only really be checked after full repair, and vehicle is running again.
Visual inspection might pick up small things, like thermo clutch fan, water pump housing etc, but even those might not be visible when quoting with the radiator support pushed into the motor pretty well.

State transport dept regs and manufacturer recommended repair methods determine if a chassis can be repaired, also with or without heat.

Thats not good Les!

You would think that would easily be a write off with chassis damage

No mate not good, had $11k sunk into the motor top end rebuild and full trans HD rebuild, think this would have lasted me out ok, if not for this 2.5 seconds.

It could be a write off even without that chassis taken into account, but both are twisted at the front (at least), will find out soon if they are even allowed to repair them at all.
(Good to see you still here, how's your 79 going ? PM me.)

There is no way on earth a small hit like that will cause mechanical issues, in the past I have repaired cars that had twice that impact and drove them for years without issue.
Although a lot less tech but mechanics are still basically the same

Times have changed, vehicles now are a lot more susceptible, also changed a lot are repair methods and risk adversity.
I know both the shop it's in, and the shop (the insurers 'partner' repairer) they wanted to take it to for assessment, so will ask whoever quotes it to put a few things on report inc mechanicals (motor / trans, driveline) and of course front end / steering / suspension assembly.
Pretty sure they'd be doing that anyway . . . another way is to do an additional when other damage may become apparent, but for mechs I'd really like it to be on report, as only after repair will that even be apparent when running / drivable again.

This will be a big $ quote, last accident of any sort was a red kanga strike on front pax door (I was doing 25km/hr, lol) and that 2nd hand door shell with blend on rear door and guard was a bit over $3k !

boobook

Times have changed, vehicles now are a lot more susceptible, also changed a lot are repair methods and risk adversity.
I know both the shop it's in, and the shop (the insurers 'partner' repairer) they wanted to take it to for assessment, so will ask whoever quotes it to put a few things on report inc mechanicals (motor / trans, driveline) and of course front end / steering / suspension assembly.
Pretty sure they'd be doing that anyway . . . another way is to do an additional when other damage may become apparent, but for mechs I'd really like it to be on report, as only after repair will that even be apparent when running / drivable again.

This will be a big $ quote, last accident of any sort was a red kanga strike on front pax door (I was doing 25km/hr, lol) and that 2nd hand door shell with blend on rear door and guard was a bit over $3k !

I hit a big Roo at 100kmph on the road coming out of Licola in my old 200. I had an ARB bar which is massive on a 200 ( 105kg not including the winch) and hit it on the passengers side. The roo survived, I sopped, looked at the car. No damage I thought. After about 2 weeks I noticed a small crease in the front guard down the bottom near the passenger's door. Took it to get repaired. The ARB bar didn't give, and bent the chassis arm in front of the front wheels. A solid piece of steel in its self. $10,000 later it was fixed. But that bull bar didn't give one bit wasn't designed right. It was a very expensive roo.

It demonstrates to me that with modern cars you cant go by face value. You need to have a professional look at any potential issues.

It also taught me that the Bull bar should not act like a solid rock in new cars. I would never buy another ARB bar for a 200.

Last edited:

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Surprising the chassis damage from the roo, but that's a big impact at 100ks, and reds especially are bulky (even a big grey is bad).

Crumple zones in modern cars are really important for driver / pax protection, they absorb a lot of force.
Bars by design take impacts to the chassis, though most say they are compatible with airbags.
Better to total a vehicle and reduce risk to occupants.
Overall, we have very safe modern motor vehicles now.

Mine was a huge adult red male roo, flew into my door while I was literally idling 25k/hr up Googs Tk, saw a flash of red in the pax window then bam !
Though, oh yeah, might have dented it a bit, pulled up when clear of the encroaching low bushes and had a look.
Door shell was pretty mangled, but door still opened ok, bummer really, had to put up with it for a Madigan X after we finished Googs north end.
After that trip I headed to Brissy to work with brother in his crash shop for a few weeks, so fixed it up there under insurance.

I've always been wary of bars on vehicles, especially now with airbag systems.
Reinforcing my lower nudge bar worked great protecting all that low stuff, PWR intercooler survived, but I used / set up my Ranger for track protection though, not stopping such accident damage.
I'm sure that also caused the airbags to not function, but I've never really been too concerned about them.
Now, after seeing first hand the other parties side airbags save them, I certainly will be watching 5 start ancap for future family vehicles.
We have main family car with airbags all round, feel better knowing they are there.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
The first video is set to private and won't show. The second is fine, incredible how quick it's all over.

Glad you're all OK.

Fixed the longer video, forgot to set to unlisted from private.

31m doesn't take long to cover at 60k's !
I was shadowing the brakes, but even then you can see me hit them (dip in the clouds) 1 second after his wheels start moving, then 1.5 seconds later boom.
I think I worked it out, 31m 2.5 seconds avg = 50km/hr, so I was probably slowed to about 45 when impact happened.

Very glad I hit them square on with A & B pillars taking the brunt of the impact on their Astra.

Patriot

Administrator
I hit a big Roo at 100kmph on the road coming out of Licola in my old 200. I had an ARB bar which is massive on a 200 ( 105kg not including the winch) and hit it on the passengers side. The roo survived, I sopped, looked at the car. No damage I thought. After about 2 weeks I noticed a small crease in the front guard down the bottom near the passenger's door. Took it to get repaired. The ARB bar didn't give, and bent the chassis arm in front of the front wheels. A solid piece of steel in its self. $10,000 later it was fixed. But that bull bar didn't give one bit wasn't designed right. It was a very expensive roo.

It demonstrates to me that with modern cars you cant go by face value. You need to have a professional look at any potential issues.

It also taught me that the Bull bar should not act like a solid rock in new cars. I would never buy another ARB bar for a 200.
That is really interesting. I wonder if there is something in the design standards. Makes sense that it should be absorbing the impact rather than just passing it through to the chassis.

Patriot

Administrator
Fixed the longer video, forgot to set to unlisted from private.

31m doesn't take long to cover at 60k's !
I was shadowing the brakes, but even then you can see me hit them (dip in the clouds) 1 second after his wheels start moving, then 1.5 seconds later boom.
I think I worked it out, 31m 2.5 seconds avg = 50km/hr, so I was probably slowed to about 45 when impact happened.

Very glad I hit them square on with A & B pillars taking the brunt of the impact on their Astra.
Glad you're OK Les. Scary how quick these things happen. What is the latest on the vehicle?

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Glad you're OK Les. Scary how quick these things happen. What is the latest on the vehicle?

Yep, opened my eyes up a bit about how fast 100' can go by.
Total loss confirmed last week, paid out now, should be coming up in an auction sometime soon, most likely Pickles.

Now to decide what to get, but will likely just buy / sell some fast moving popular vehicles for a while.
Might as well use my trade background / skills for a while for my own benefit, always fixing other peoples motor cars !

CaptainBanana

That is really interesting. I wonder if there is something in the design standards. Makes sense that it should be absorbing the impact rather than just passing it through to the chassis.

they do have crush cans or deformation plates or whatever you want to call them but they are often made out of very large gauge steel and even though they are designed to fold and give somewhat it still takes a lot of load to fold 4mm 5mm 6mm thick steel.

Triton14

I hadnt been back to this thread since my Nov 18th post & hadnt seen the added dashcam footage.

I was actually looking at this on youtube when I saw an image of the car I thought I remember that car

I likr to watch some of these because I think it will remind me that you have to think everyone is out to get you when your on the road.
So many twits on these vids, they are an eye opener.

Les's footage starts at 56 seconds.

@Les PK Ranger, so what did you end up getting to replace the written of car??

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
I hadnt been back to this thread since my Nov 18th post & hadnt seen the added dashcam footage.

I was actually looking at this on youtube when I saw an image of the car I thought I remember that car

I likr to watch some of these because I think it will remind me that you have to think everyone is out to get you when your on the road.
So many twits on these vids, they are an eye opener.

Les's footage starts at 56 seconds.

@Les PK Ranger, so what did you end up getting to replace the written of car??

Yep, sent that to Scott, my favourite Aussie dashcam channel.
And I agree, the dashcam channels are a sobering reminder of what to look out for on the roads.

Hate to say it, but Aussie drivers are starting to show many more traits of drivers from Russia, Poland, and a few countries with some terrible road behaviour.
Pretty sure drugs like ice are starting to be in obvious use by many drivers.

No replacement, still mourning, lol, not really, but just want something a bit different / unique.
I am planning on buying / selling fast moving vehicles for a while, small auto hatches / sedans, Hyundais are a favourite there.
Just bought an ACT hail damaged Toyota Aurion for a good price, it's coming along nicely :)

In saying that, I have lined up a possible 4x4, an NG series 1 Paj . . . very similar to the NF I had for about a year back in 2016, loved it, and now wish I had it back, but this NG looks like a very tidy option.
Should know in about 2 weeks.

Otherwise, I'll keep looking for a great option for an off road / touring project.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
I have lined up a possible 4x4, an NG series 1 Paj . . . very similar to the NF I had for about a year back in 2016, loved it, and now wish I had it back, but this NG looks like a very tidy option.
Should know in about 2 weeks.

Damn, just found out he sold it yesterday, ah well there'll be others.
He got $3700 for it, I reckon could have got $5k if he waited a while, but I wouldn't have paid that.