4wd day trips from Sydney?

Nicool

Hi guys
With a young family (and mates with young families) in Sydney, we’re looking to do some 4wd tracks with bit of challenge (i mean just a dirt road doesn’t count), on a day-trip basis (i know a few good options already for weekend trips).
So i mean max 2h drive from Sydney, and then the 4wd drive itself, max 4-5 hours.
My question is how do i find these tracks: surely i found a few articles like « 12 best 4wd drives in NSW » but i suspect there are much more, eg recently one of us posted a nice video about a day-trip in Belanglo state forest. Nowhere did i find recommendations about Belanglo providing some good 4wdriving, until i read his post.
So bring them in! Either recommendations of drives to do... or advice on how to find them myself :)
For example, Nattai national park isn’t too far from my place (i am in Mortdale), but Google won’t get me any info about 4wd there.

cheers
Nico

Nicool

Maybe check this out-
Hi Triton14,
Sounds like an amazing source of information... but i don’t get how you use it: if i zoom down to a pin and tap on it, it will show me another pin, and then i can tap left/right arrows and it will show me other locations on the map, and i can’t find a textual description, nor indication on how difficult the track is.
Is there some sort of userguide i could learn from?
Note i am accessing it from an iPhone, maybe it isn’t working on mobile?

mikehzz

Newnes Plateau off Zig Zag, and Lidsdale, (Mt Walker), are day trips with a lot of good tracks available. They both have easy to hard options. Gees Arm South near Wheeny Creek also. There's Youtubes on all of them.

Nicool

Thanks guys, really appreciate the advice, all these places sound nice!
Newnes Plateau off Zig Zag, and Lidsdale, (Mt Walker), are day trips with a lot of good tracks available. They both have easy to hard options. Gees Arm South near Wheeny Creek also. There's Youtubes on all of them.
We're keen tp try the Gees Arm South, the youtube videos are tempting.
What's the best way to find our path there - are there signs easy to follow, or any visitor centre where we could buy a map?

cheers
Nico

mikehzz

If you follow Comleroy Rd at Kurrajong until you get to the Wheeny Creek campground, cross the river, then up the hill. Go past the Mountain Lagoon road on the left and you come to a clearing with big power lines running across the road. The track runs off to the right near the power lines. Follow that track until it gets to another clearing and the track starts to get hairy from there.

Nicool

If you follow Comleroy Rd at Kurrajong until you get to the Wheeny Creek campground, cross the river, then up the hill. Go past the Mountain Lagoon road on the left and you come to a clearing with big power lines running across the road. The track runs off to the right near the power lines. Follow that track until it gets to another clearing and the track starts to get hairy from there.
thansk mate, we had a very nice time, though we didn't do the hairiest parts :)

nitrobrent

thansk mate, we had a very nice time, though we didn't do the hairiest parts :)
The good part of the track starts at the drop off, a wide open area with 5 or 6 different ways down.Then its about 2 to 3 hours to get the next 1km to the end ,depending on numbers and what lines you take
68751878_2449325465110838_411842395378810880_o.jpg

Nicool

The good part of the track starts at the drop off, a wide open area with 5 or 6 different ways down.Then its about 2 to 3 hours to get the next 1km to the end ,depending on numbers and what lines you take View attachment 67118
Yep, exactly the point where we didn’t dare to go down :)
Guess our car might be capable, the limit here is the drivers’ skills i reckon.
Also looking a heavy lifted cruiser still needed its winch to go back up. A winch is definitely on my puchase/xmas list.

nitrobrent

Winch is definitely a good idea.
We had to winch up the drop off once.
It was damp and the daughter snapped the output shaft on the transfer case half way in.
Mate towed us to the drop off and did a double line pull to get up the step.
He towed us back to Bielany where we were staying.
Got flooded in the next day
Screenshot_2017-03-19-11-51-04.png
20170318_130703.jpg
received_2174654685883161.jpeg